Helmets for the casual huckwit

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I'm up for a new full face thanks to playing the fool on Monday. I ride for fun, hit moderate sized obstacles, no racing, and you bet I know how to sweat! So I'm looking for plenty of protection + light weight + well ventilated. The benchmark for me at the moment is the fox proframe. But what a price tag! As such I'm exploring other avenues before I make a commitment to the proframe. If you have any suggestions, even if they are more expensive than the proframe, I'd like to hear them.

Has anyone used one of these urge helmets before?

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/f.../urge-down-o-matic-full-face-helmet/102817447

They look like they may be on the money for ventilation and weight, and of course price.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Proframe is $249 at TBE. Doesn’t sound too unreasonable and you’ll appreciate the extra ventilation. I’ve owned an Urge open helmet before with similar vents. Wasn’t bad for ventilation but if it’s a priority for you then the fox will be better

teK--

Eats Squid
249 is pretty cheap for a strong and well ventilated helmet.. I'm onto my second proframe after smashing the first. They are that good.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm going to go against the grain and vote for an MET Parachute. I pickup one up in a Pushy's 15% off sale and love it. It's crazy light and has really incredible ventilation. It's light years ahead of my old 661 Hybrid 2.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some good info here folks, thanks for the swift up take.

- D2 is looking a bit too enclosed for my liking. Though the price and patterns do tempt.
- The old 661 one composite isn't happening.
- I'm not keen on the detachable face helmets.

@teK-- what was the nature of your helmets demise? Just a post crash precaution or impact destruction? I'm going to assume it protected your melon well but did fuck all for.your collar bone?

John U

MTB Precision
Having used a second hand P.O.S., followed by a Fox Flux, and then finally a Troy Lee D3 (picked it up from MTB Direct for $150 somehow) I couldn't use anything less than the D3. It is cool, comfortable, fits well, and is light.

https://www.merlincycles.com/troy-l...RfmFSpCj_3Y-4Dxx_6IrP92GMeTc4fo4aAkOTEALw_wcB

As with any helmet though, fit is still the most important thing. My budget for things mtb has reduced of late. I wouldn't hesitate ponying up $300 for a replacement D3 though.

I would be very tempted by the D2 if it was as cool as the D3.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Giro Disciple get my vote.
Medium weight at 1.3kg for Large.
Hugs face nicely. Decent ventilation. MIPs and solid GoPro mount

teK--

Eats Squid

- D2 is looking a bit too enclosed for my liking. Though the price and patterns do tempt.

@teK-- what was the nature of your helmets demise? Just a post crash precaution or impact destruction? I'm going to assume it protected your melon well but did fuck all for.your collar bone?
Nah wiped out the proframe in a separate crash! Lawndarted and split the helmet just above the temple .. only a sore neck but coulda been a lot worse and I was so impressed I ordered the same helmet that day.

The collarbone crash I only had some light scrapes on the helmet.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Detachable face beaks have always been crap, they tried them years ago in Moto and with the same outcomes as what they are having with MTB.

Last edited:

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I've cracked a Proframe, hit pretty hard on the right temple and right at the base at the back. Nice bit of concussion that hung around for a few months.
Any helmet was going to die in that crash.
Binned that one and got another, I'll be getting a proper FF for riding DH as I feel they are just a AM lid with a chin piece.
Still a good helmet, only thing I hate about it is the vents above your face.
In the rain the water runs straight down your face and fogs up my goggles, nothing a bit of race tap can't fix though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...well I made a choice. Thanks to all for their input on the matter. I did nearly go for the TLD clearance prices and put another full blown full face on the shelf, but with my tendency to sweat like a mother fucker and summer being upon us, I have decided to give the proframe a chance to impress me. Well more than it already has...FYI - $240 seemed like the best price I could find. Pics to come when the helmet arrives.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Another proframe owner here, it's great for riding. Replaced a bell super 3r that ruined my face when chin bar broke slicing me open.

Proframe chin bar is much more sturdy.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk