Hello! Welcome! Who are you?

Dougy

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 43

What state do you live? Japan via Jindabyne

How long have you been riding? Since I was about 5 BMX > Road > MTB

Whats styles of riding do you do? Trail and DH

How often do you ride? No where near as much as I'd like but every chance I get

Tell us about your bike/s? Hardtail SS commuter, Spec SX trail bike, S Works Demo 8

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Tore a finger ligament guiding at Thredbo.

Do you compete and at what level? Not for a long time. Wouldn't mind getting back into it here in Japan though.

Any cycling highights worth posting? Spent a few years working at Thredbo guiding, spinning spanners, and digging. Best job ever.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? New Posts

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? People need to spend less time ranting and more time riding. Doesn't matter what just go play outside.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 37
What state do you live?ACT
How long have you been riding? Jeebuz.. since I was 5 years old
Whats styles of riding do you do? Over the years everything unpowered with wheels, from BMX to roller blades. But these days just XC
How often do you ride? 2 or 3 times a week, if you include commuting
Tell us about your bike/s? Talon 0 hardtail, Seek 1 commuter and soon a 2012 Anthem 29er
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Concussion from going to slow!
Do you compete and at what level? nah
Any cycling highights worth posting? Riding by moonlight is fun, if not really dumb
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General MTB and xc
Whats your biggest or favourite rant?Rant? Nah I come here for fun. Although, magpies. Faark magpies

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Turned 40 last April. Started dreaming of sports cars and crotch rockets. Luckily the love of my life put an end to that nonsense.

Been a ski/bike bum working in Canadian sports shops since I was 20. Raced downhill, rode XC. Lived the dream for years and never had anything but a smile to show for it. Bought a bike shop in a 3 way partnership with 2 guys(they already owned a different shop where I was an employee) just before my 30th. Big mistake. Lost years and the true love of the sport. Left that situation(with some cash thank goodness) and skipped town and remained unemployed and depressed for almost a year. Don't know what I would have done without biking(and my partner..in case she reads this).

Gave up boozing and other things that are popular in western Canada. Fell into a random job. Made good money and all was right in the world. Or so I thought. My girl was hating being away from Australia and her friends and family. Made a decision to move here Feb 2014.

Sold everything that I thought mattered(bike tools and spares I miss), 1 way ticket and bam! New life.

Still unemployed. But riding heaps and loving life in Australia.

Straya!!

bookster

Cannon Fodder
45 years old eek

joined the farkin forums in 2005.... didn't post until today (is that some sort of record?)

only recently got back into MTB, last bike was a giant ATX970 that got stolen, only recently got back into it and got myself a 2015 giant talon... like meeting an old friend again :)

Live in Sydneys south, within pedaling distance of RNP, so thats where I'll be found (when kids/work/surfing allow)...

slo

Likes Dirt
How old are you?
fresh vet, spot on dirty thirty.

What state do you live?

croweater.

How long have you been riding?

used to ride a lot back in the day, had a work related injury keep me off the bike for a good few years, just jumped back on in the last 12-18months (shit has chaaaanged... its how i know i am a vet :shocked:)

Whats styles of riding do you do?

the slowest variety of mountainous ascends and descends, with a little bit of road thrown in the mix.

How often do you ride?

sadly only once a week recently. need some daylight and spare time!

Tell us about your bike/s?

buddies own a shop that sells treks. so im all trekked out!
got a remedy, 27.5 with all the usual mods.
and a domane to keep the spine happy.
cheeky specialized sirrus for a shop hack.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries?

had a nice stack way back when, which resulted in about 1.5L of blood to reside in my leg through bruising.
was a shitty walk out of the trail, as i was riding solo after work... finally got to the car (45min) couldnt bend my leg to get in the car to drive to the hospital. good day :lol:
besides that, the usual bumps scratches and fractures.

Do you compete and at what level?

haha, yeah.
refer to style of riding, and you can place bets as to where i sat in the field :plane:

Any cycling highights worth posting?

we got a new mouth to feed at home. looking forward to getting him out on the trails!
will probably be the biggest cycling highlight (i really am a vet... when did this happen?!)

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?

parts... figure out what i need to buy... and then proceed to hide from the minister of finance.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant?
dont get me started on....

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
How old are you?
Today, I am 30, now officially a vet; Dont know how i feel about this, thought I wouldve acheived more in life by now...

What state do you live?
Sunny Qld, Gold coast to be exact

20ish years on and off I guess...
Used to race bmx in my school days and spent a lot of my time at the skate park. Had an extended period off the bike and then got back into it probably 2 years ago, Riding my old Giant STP on the trails was hard work.
A year ago got my first dually in the form of a 2015 trance 2 and I love her. Her name is Taylor (like Taylor Swift) because 1: she is damt hot and I like to imagine myslef riding her, and 2: I like to think I am swift when I ride, even though I am not.

I guess it would be classed as cross country??
Just single track stuff

How often do you ride?
Every weekend and try to squeeze a ride in mid week too, weather permitting... harder in winter with limited sunlight.
Come summer, 3 times is the goal

Sort of spoke about this in the previous question but current Trance has had a few modifications; 200x57 fox factory shock, 1x10 (of course), 11-40 cassette, dropper post.
Would love to put a pike on her if I find a 2nd hand one at a good price and a new wheelset

I carsh every second ride, pretty much but nothing too significant, probably dont push hard enough to casue such injuries.

Plans for next year to do my first 4hr event

Not crashing is a highlight for me.

parts for sale; searching for the next cheap upgrade
And parts n stuff; always learning

Complaining about the weather, we have it pretty good up here, gets everyone riled up

Thanks for reading, fellow vets...
:ghost:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Happy birthday mate.

As for me
How old are you? 35

What state do you live? Victoria

How long have you been riding? Since I was about 5, but had a very slow period the last 10 years. You know work and kids kind of thing.

Whats styles of riding do you do? All... Make do with a hardtail

How often do you ride? Once/twice a week due to winter. Will ramp up a little more when longer days come round again.

Tell us about your bike/s? I have an old Mongoose rockadile XC hardtail race bike and a Scott scale alloy hardtail 29er.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? No

Do you compete and at what level? No

Any cycling highights worth posting? In my younger/dumber days I was pulled over by the police for doing a wheelie the full lengh of the chapple st strip in inner Melbourne on my MTB. The massive Sat night crowd found it hilarious.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? I like the new post button.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Nothing much worries me.

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
Thanks for birthday wishes guys!! :happy:

I am surprised my balls are still in their warm, squishy home, they have been smashed so many times... poor balls.
Should probably go get them checked, wife wants a baby and I have not produced one yet... hmm...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
How old are you?
What state do you live?
Vic
About 40 years
XC, road, commute
How often do you ride?
Not as much as I'd like but at least twice a week
Stock Merida Big 99, 80's Bianchi road bike, 1960's mens Malvern Star with sturmey archer 3 speed
More than my fair share of gravel rash but nothing major
Not yet, but we can all dream
Hitting 80+ kph coming down the hume in a big peleton but it is probably sacrilege mentioning it here
General and XC
What's your biggest or favourite rant?
Don't get me started because we'll all be here for ages. Well at least I will, its not like you have to read it.

OTH Dave

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 49
What state do you live? Qld bris
How long have you been riding? 3 years – wish I started earlier
Whats styles of riding do you do? XC mainly / AM
How often do you ride? 1 or 2 rides a week
Tell us about your bike/s? 2011 XTC 29er 1. 2014 Trance 29er 1. Bought this one about 2 weeks ago and loving it.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Did a decent job of smashing my face into a rock about a year ago. Luckily it was only a few stitches and brusing.
Do you compete and at what level? Occasional XC and at a very social level. Just really compete for fun and a personal challenge as I don’t have the time or the ability to do anything serious.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Happy just to get out on the trails and ride.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Build threads and for sale stuff.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 42
What state do you live? Tassie
How long have you been riding? Last three years at more than just tooling around level
Whats styles of riding do you do? Trail
How often do you ride? Not nearly as much as I'd like to be - about 1/2 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? GT Sensor - much up-graded (only the frame is original)IMAG0697.jpg
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? AC tear
Do you compete and at what level? Never raced
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?Nothing in particular - just what comes up on tapatalk
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? None

Last edited:

Mal Schulstad

Cannon Fodder
How old are you?

What state do you live?
The Sunshine State - specifically the Gold Coast

From 5 until 25 - then I got married... and finally got back out on a bike at the beginning of the year to end the 15 year hiatus.

Whats styles of riding do you do? I pedal? They didn't have all these styles when I last rode - it was just riding! I guess it's trail or all mountain mainly, working on the Downhill at the moment without trying to break anything (on the bike or me, although I'm generally cheaper to repair).

How often do you ride?
2 to 3 times per week, not including any local family rides.

A 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport that I bought just before my wife became pregnant. It got parked in the garage and trashed by the two sons until this year when it had a fork and drive train upgrade to make it usable again. The damn thing is bomb proof and as the bike that got me back into riding has a special place in my garage.
The other bike is a 2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 which I recently acquired. As my first ever carbon/dually it also has a special place in the garage, although I'm still getting used to having squish in the back. On the plus side, my aging legs are incredibly grateful.

Dislocated left should back in 1997 when I transitioned from a rigid front to having shocks - climbing out of a steep (almost vertical) gully at high speed I discovered that rather than running straight up the side of the gully the shocks actually made the front end squish into the vertical wall, stopping the bike from climbing out of the gully. It didn't stop me however, from going straight over the handlebars and into the wall of the gully at 45km/h
An unverified incident of cracked ribs earlier this year as I was getting back into riding and thought I still had the skills I acquired from years of riding in my youth. I slipped sideways off the trail and into a tree, using my body to protect the bike. I never went to the doctor however, so my wife couldn't ever say I was too injured to ride.
The entire right side of my body from my ankle to my shoulder blade is covered in scratches from various launches off the front of the handlebars (almost ten this year I think). I'm pleased to say however that I'm getting much better at crashing and am doing so with enough speed to actually land on my feet or to roll and use my camelback as a cushion.

The imaginary level.

Just my crashes.

Nothing in particular.

When the surf is crap and the trails are too wet to ride.

stirk

Burner
How old are you?

What state do you live?
The Sunshine State - specifically the Gold Coast

From 5 until 25 - then I got married... and finally got back out on a bike at the beginning of the year to end the 15 year hiatus.

Whats styles of riding do you do? I pedal? They didn't have all these styles when I last rode - it was just riding! I guess it's trail or all mountain mainly, working on the Downhill at the moment without trying to break anything (on the bike or me, although I'm generally cheaper to repair).

How often do you ride?
2 to 3 times per week, not including any local family rides.

A 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport that I bought just before my wife became pregnant. It got parked in the garage and trashed by the two sons until this year when it had a fork and drive train upgrade to make it usable again. The damn thing is bomb proof and as the bike that got me back into riding has a special place in my garage.
The other bike is a 2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 which I recently acquired. As my first ever carbon/dually it also has a special place in the garage, although I'm still getting used to having squish in the back. On the plus side, my aging legs are incredibly grateful.

Dislocated left should back in 1997 when I transitioned from a rigid front to having shocks - climbing out of a steep (almost vertical) gully at high speed I discovered that rather than running straight up the side of the gully the shocks actually made the front end squish into the vertical wall, stopping the bike from climbing out of the gully. It didn't stop me however, from going straight over the handlebars and into the wall of the gully at 45km/h
An unverified incident of cracked ribs earlier this year as I was getting back into riding and thought I still had the skills I acquired from years of riding in my youth. I slipped sideways off the trail and into a tree, using my body to protect the bike. I never went to the doctor however, so my wife couldn't ever say I was too injured to ride.
The entire right side of my body from my ankle to my shoulder blade is covered in scratches from various launches off the front of the handlebars (almost ten this year I think). I'm pleased to say however that I'm getting much better at crashing and am doing so with enough speed to actually land on my feet or to roll and use my camelback as a cushion.

The imaginary level.

Just my crashes.

Nothing in particular.

When the surf is crap and the trails are too wet to ride.
Who uses a camelbak for hydration, its all about the crash cusion!

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
How old are you?
47! OMG

What state do you live?
Queensland

just got back into it but rode a lot as a youngun

cross country, trails, some road training

How often do you ride?
not often enough....

Lapierre pro race 227

not on bicycles, no.

never raced.

nah

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotor burn?
just got here and looking around, i look at the "show us your" threads a bit though LOL

I don't rant, i'm chilled out since i'm stuffed from riding my bicycle....

Well, thought it should be time to post something after lurking here for over 5 years! Mainly use Rotorburn to find answers how to fix things, how not to fix things, people’s opinions on parts n stuff, what to buy, what not to buy and generally to have a read and laugh.

How old are you?[/B][/B] 41

What state do you live? Melbourne Victoria

How long have you been riding? Since I was 5 Years Old

What styles of riding do you do? All Mountain. Mt Beauty is my favourite place to ride. I cannot get enough of it. We have a caravan at Tawonga on the Kiewa River and get up there 4-5+ times a year. So Mt Beauty, Falls Creek, Bright, Beechworth and a host of other trails are all within an hours drive. Mt Buller in between Boxing Day and New Years. Lysterfield and You Yangs and occasionally and Buxton/Lake Mountain is just the usual week in week out rides. Was just up at Falls Creek Melbourne Cup weekend and walked a few of the new trails about to be opened and can’t wait to get back up there in late January.

How often do you ride? Commute to/from work (20-25kms each way) 3-4 days a week and the Sunday morning or arvo ride at Lysterfield or You Yangs. Depending when the better half would prefer me to ride!! With the now 2+ year old, the all day epics have been out of the question. I do make sure I get a few days stringed together every couple of months for riding in the above locations.

Tell us about your bike/s? Just the one for now. 2012 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50. Only original parts left are the Fox 36 Floats, RP23 Shock and Seat Post which will all be upgraded before Christmas. I just upgraded the wheels to Stans No Tubes on Flow Ex’s. Pushys had a pretty good deal at the right time as my rear wheel had just cracked quite badly. Recently put some new XT brakes with 203mm Ice Tec rotors which are very nice. Replaced parts on the drive train (XT M-785 cranks with XT SPD pedals), Race Face Narrow Wide 32T, HG-X chain, XT Cassette and Sram Type 2 X9 rear derailleur. I chop and change between Minion DHF’s and High Roller 2’s. And put the recently purchased Hookworms on for commuting to work. Bloody heavy tyre and a pain to get on and off the rim! But once they get going they are not too bad. They are very grippy.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Only significant one was one day at Lysterfield in April 2013. Did the Comm Games track and then headed over to Aneurism. A 1/3 of the way into Aneurism there used to be a group of 3 jumps. Went over the first one, land ok but had an immense pain like I had broken a rib. Had to do the next 2 jumps then corner and corner and then realised that I could not breathe! I was only able to get very short sharp breaths in which hurt like buggery! And already being out of breathe it was quite a scary 10 mins. Still thinking it was just a rib I rested for 10-15mins and went to limp back to the car. Rode 5 metres and was out of breath again. Took me an hour and a half to walk back to the car which was about 800 metres! Probably should have called an Ambo but anyways! Got home to the couch to rest then my 7 months pregnant wife got home from work, took one look at me and said “what the F$%k is wrong with you?” She took me straight to Sandringham Emergency where they checked my breathing or lack of breathing and said “Ummm, let’s get you in straight away for some x-rays”. From the x-ray I was rushed straight into an emergency room as I had suffered a Spontaneous Pneumothorax (Collapsed Lung). Then the fun really started! They have to get a garden hose sized tube between your first and second rib to reinflate the lung. They give you an injection for the pain around the area then I think I got a “newbie” trying to do this procedure as she wasn’t doing too well getting it through. It took her 30 to 40 seconds and it was the most uncomfortable feeling I have ever had in my whole life. I’ve done an ACL and had it reconstructed, had broken bones and they did not come close! Another nurse apologised and said it shouldn’t have taken that long. But after she got it through it was one of the best feelings I have had! Anyways, after a week at Sandy Hospital and the lung wasn’t healing was sent off to the Alfred for a Talc Pleurodesis procedure where there is a bit of scraping and sticking the lung back to your chest cavity! So in the end it was two weeks in hospital and another 3 weeks off work and was not back on the bike for another 7 weeks. So now I don’t push as hard going up anymore as I do not want to be out of breath and that happen again. The surgeon says the operated on lung should be good for life but the other one has a 30% chance of doing the same and there is no way of knowing if or when it is going to happen until it does. So when I am going up it is always in the back of my mind not to be out of breath!

Do you compete and at what level? No

Any cycling highights worth posting? Just the long Backcountry Epics at Mt Buller and Fainters Track at Falls Creek.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General MTB Discussion, Parts ‘n Stuff, Off Topic Discussion, Vets, Enduro/All Mountain, The Watering Hole , For Sale

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? People’s lack of COMMON SENSE and lack of planning.

Specialized29er

Likes Bikes
23.11.15 0 I'm new to the forum and I'm Owen from Emerald Qld.

How old are you - 53 years young
What state do you live - Queensland
How long have you been riding - Since I was 4 but started again 5 years ago
Whats styles of riding do you do - Mountain Biking and Cross Training
How often do you ride - Every day to work and mountain biking most days after work
Tell us about your bike/s - A 2012 Specialized Hardrock 29er Sports Disc and a 2012 Merida 700c Crossway 100
Have you had any significant bike related injuries - nothing too serious, lots of blood and gravel rash although 4 weeks ago I came a buster over the handlebar, cracked 2 ribs and hurt the tailbone, all better now (4 weeks without riding was just too long)
Do you compete and at what level - in the middle but usually down towards the end
Any cycling highights worth posting - for this ex morbidity obese guy just finishing every competition is worth shouting about
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn - 23.11.15, just became a member
Whats your biggest or favourite rant -

ryan_

Cannon Fodder
Hi all. I have recently rediscovered cycling and new to this forum,

How old are you?
What state do you live?
ACT
Growing up in the UK I rode everywhere up until the age of 23, then gave it away when I moved to Sydney. Owned a mountain bike about 10 years ago but did not get out much use out of it. A recent relocation to Canberra has provided the opportunity to get back into riding. I am 2 weeks into this rediscovery!
At the moment commuting and cycle paths to get some fitness back, looking to buy a mtb to get out on the trails in 2016
How often do you ride?
Most days, 10km to and from work
For now its a Gumtree special -a well used Trek FX7.2
Never
No
I owned an early model 'mountain bike' a 1985 Raleigh Maverick that I rode everywhere for more than 10 years. I must have been fit back then riding that 20kg clunker
Classifieds
I have no rants (yet)