Headsets - NFI what to buy or what I'm doing!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It is not bearings in a race they are sealed cartridge bearings
Thats what a lot of them look like when they get popped apart by trying to tap a jammed/corroded/rusted bearing out of the ZS cup.

They look like a sealed bearing from the outside but because they load sideways, the inner casing can be prised off, revealing a simple ball race as pictured.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
really?....the chances of any modern bike manufacturer still using open ball and cage bearings is very slim!
its pretty simple, as seen in this clear and easy to read diagram
They had replacement headsets for it (I assume ball and cage?), but if I can get away with just replacing the bearing I will as it'll be up for sale soon if I ever get my Banshee.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Cups are still in the frame, but expecting a CC40 by the end of the week, so they'll be getting hammered out shortly.

#freebritney

Petero

Likes Dirt
The guys going to call me back. If I get a chance I'll pull the one off my bike later and take it in.
I'm tempted to just buy these on the offchance they'll fit
1 1/8 Headset Bearings | Headset Bearing | Bike Parts - Velogear
I have a bearings from a ZS44/ZS55.. stupid Scott, unsure if the lower 1mm makes a difference to bearing size or if they just use a slightly thinner wall thickness on the cups? Either way free for trial and error if needed.

Rorschach

I have a bearings from a ZS44/ZS55.. stupid Scott, unsure if the lower 1mm makes a difference to bearing size or if they just use a slightly thinner wall thickness on the cups? Either way free for trial and error if needed.
Cheers. Will give these ones from Knuckles a go and see, then drop you a line if not!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm sure it's been said already, but this is a good opportunity to purchase a whole new sealed bearing headset @Rorschach . Plenty of options out there for any budget.
Even at the cheaper end, Cane Creek 40 are a great headset.
I have even had a couple of CC 10 headsets live the life of a bike trouble free.

Rorschach

I'm sure it's been said already, but this is a good opportunity to purchase a whole new sealed bearing headset @Rorschach . Plenty of options out there for any budget.
It's going to be sold when I (eventually) get my Prime, so I just want to get it back up to spec, but if I can't get a bearing then I'll get a new headset put in

*whole new bike

#freebritney
Hopefully soon!