Headsets - NFI what to buy or what I'm doing!

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Right, I swapped the forks on my bike (2018 Trek XCaliber 8) and think I mushed the lower bearing cage. Its still rideable, but I want to replace the headset for something a bit more hard wearing and sealed!
Trouble is, I've got no idea what size I need to buy, and exactly how much of it I need to replace! Everything I've read online is as clear as mud!
Treks website shows the bike specs, and list the headset as it as 'Semi-integrated, 1-1/8˝ top, 1.5˝ bottom' - I assume these are sizes?
If so, what size top/bottom do I need to buy, and do I need to swap everything (fork race, cups, the whole shebag) out?

(I ran a search but couldn't come up with much - if there's a thread that goes through this already, please point me there!)

moorey

call me Mia
If it’s just one bearing, a decent bike shop has most needed. Mine carries aftermarket for pretty much any headset.

PJO

in me vL comy
Right, I swapped the forks on my bike (2018 Trek XCaliber 8) and think I mushed the lower bearing cage. Its still rideable, but I want to replace the headset for something a bit more hard wearing and sealed!
Trouble is, I've got no idea what size I need to buy, and exactly how much of it I need to replace! Everything I've read online is as clear as mud!
Treks website shows the bike specs, and list the headset as it as 'Semi-integrated, 1-1/8˝ top, 1.5˝ bottom' - I assume these are sizes?
If so, what size top/bottom do I need to buy, and do I need to swap everything (fork race, cups, the whole shebag) out?

(I ran a search but couldn't come up with much - if there's a thread that goes through this already, please point me there!)
A semi-integrated headset (also known as an integral headset) is one where there are cups pressed into the frame which hold the bearings.
Most of the modern ones have bearings which are self-contained sealed units, but some of the cheaper ones have loose-ball bearings. It sounds like you might have a loose bearing type if you managed to damage the bearing cage because I can't see how you would easily damaged a sealed bearing. Something like this:
a)

The same sort of thing with sealed bearings:
b)

If it is the first type you will have to source the bearing retainer from the headset manufacturer if you know who that is. Probably not an easy task.

If it is the second type you should be able to pick up a replacement bearing relatively easily.

Photos of your headset and the issue would help...

EDIT: also in the loose ball headset the cups that are pressed into the frame are shaped as bearing races so you can't just whack in a sealed cartridge bearing. I think this is heading for a new headset. Whereabouts are you? There might be someone local who can help you figure it out.

Rorschach

A semi-integrated headset (also known as an integral headset) is one where there are cups pressed into the frame which hold the bearings.
Most of the modern ones have bearings which are self-contained sealed units, but some of the cheaper ones have loose-ball bearings. It sounds like you might have a loose bearing type if you managed to damage the bearing cage because I can't see how you would easily damaged a sealed bearing. Something like this:
a)

The same sort of thing with sealed bearings:
b)

If it is the first type you will have to source the bearing retainer from the headset manufacturer if you know who that is. Probably not an easy task.

If it is the second type you should be able to pick up a replacement bearing relatively easily.

Photos of your headset and the issue would help...

EDIT: also in the loose ball headset the cups that are pressed into the frame are shaped as bearing races so you can't just whack in a sealed cartridge bearing. I think this is heading for a new headset. Whereabouts are you? There might be someone local who can help you figure it out.
Great info, cheers
I've got the first type and bent one of the bearing retainers - a bearing fell out but I managed to stick it back in and (gently) bend the retainer back in. There's a Trek dealer near work I can go and chat to and see if they can help.
I was hoping I could get away with using the existing races for sealed bearings, but it looks like a whole new headset job, or the cheap version of a new set of lower bearings for the existing one.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If it's the top bearing cage that's munted a new one should be readily available from any LBS. The lower, larger one may be more difficult to find.

Sealed cartridge bearings will not fit the existing cups. If you want to change the whole headset, knock the cups out and measure the top & bottom internal diameters of the head tube; 44mm upper & 56mm lower will be most likely, then find a complete headset that fits.

Rorschach

If it's the top bearing cage that's munted a new one should be readily available from any LBS. The lower, larger one may be more difficult to find.

Sealed cartridge bearings will not fit the existing cups. If you want to change the whole headset, knock the cups out and measure the top & bottom internal diameters of the head tube; 44mm upper & 56mm lower will be most likely, then find a complete headset that fits.
Its the lower one :rolleyes:
Might just order a new 44/56mm one and have a go at it myself, plenty of blocks of wood I can use to help me knock the cups out and in. Worst case, LBS gets some money from my DIY ineptitude

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

You got some verniers? Punch out the cups and measure...or just wing it! It is most likely the headset will the most common sizes, 44mm top and 56mm bottom. Though it is trek so I am surprised it isn't a proprietary size.

Replace the whole thing while you are at it, top and bottom. A new sealed unit will feel much nicer.

Cheap, but do the job well.
I have one of these on my tranny. I'm not dissatisfied with it, but I am also not 100% stoked. It is plenty smooth to operate. I haven't had a chance to really fuck it up though - too much work and barely riding and shit weather when not working and having lived in the western death for a chunk of the small time the bike has been operational, so my review as short as it is may not be fully informed.