Headset is either too loose or locked......., WTF??!!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Putting some forks on the ride and I can't get the headset to play along.

When I put more than the tiniest but of pressure on the headset with the top cap it locks up the headset making the bars/wheel difficult to turn. If I leave it loose enough for he bars to turn without a lot of resistance then the headset is loose and has play at the top. I can't work out what is going on, the previous forks were fine and as far as I can tell the headset has been assembled correctly (only pulled the bearings and seals out to clean and regrease, everything else stayed put).

Anyone have any idea WTF is going on?

*Ignore the stem, it's only there to get the bars on so I could sit on it to check the geo. It will have a direct mount put on soon.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have had similar experiences in the past. It has always been the result of operator error in assembling the headset. Some of the simple issues have been:
- Bearing in upside down (more so with the race style bearings rather than sealed)
- Some bearings have a washer or spacer that sits under the top cap.
- The top cap not being the correct top cap for the way the rest of the head set functions.
- The lower race not being the correct race (you know when you're being lazy and try to just use whatever is on the forks...).

Staunch

Eats Squid
If it's none of the issues listed above, it sounds like you may need a microspacer or two above the bearings (what Poodle mentioned by washer/spacer)

HS408Z25.jpg

Sometimes the spacing of a headset is a little off, especially with old bearings, so you need one or two of those bad boys to prevent the top of the headset from binding with the cup when tensioned.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If it's none of the issues listed above, it sounds like you may need a microspacer or two above the bearings (what Poodle mentioned by washer/spacer)

View attachment 340250

Sometimes the spacing of a headset is a little off, especially with old bearings, so you need one or two of those bad boys to prevent the top of the headset from binding with the cup when tensioned.
They work a treat. It is nice when a headset comes with such items in the box.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Did you put the crown race on the fork?
I did.

I have had similar experiences in the past. It has always been the result of operator error in assembling the headset. Some of the simple issues have been:
- Bearing in upside down (more so with the race style bearings rather than sealed) Tried both ways just in case
- Some bearings have a washer or spacer that sits under the top cap.
- The top cap not being the correct top cap for the way the rest of the head set functions. Top cap is irrelevant as the top clamp of the fork is between the top cap and headset, Maybe I need a small spacer there
- The lower race not being the correct race (you know when you're being lazy and try to just use whatever is on the forks...).
The lower race was taken from the stock fork, which worked fine, so shouldn't be a problem there.

I think this is it, maybe for the top where the top clamp buts up against the headset. Will try them on both ends.

Are they a specialty item or would I be lucky enough to find them at Bunnings?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Actually, now I think of it there was a small spacer between the stem and headset that I didn't put between the top clamp and headset.

That's got to be it.

Staunch

Eats Squid
I think this is it, maybe for the top where the top clamp buts up against the headset. Will try them on both ends.

Are they a specialty item or would I be lucky enough to find them at Bunnings?
To be honest I've never looked at Bunnings but they are pretty generic when it comes to headsets, most LBS would have some I'd say.

teK--

Eats Squid
Assuming you've checked above suggestions, you mentioned the previous fork was fine so.... is the steered bent? hence binding as you turn it unless you have cap loose enough which allows the bearing to displace slightly as you turn.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Assuming you've checked above suggestions, you mentioned the previous fork was fine so.... is the steered bent? hence binding as you turn it unless you have cap loose enough which allows the bearing to displace slightly as you turn.
Oh yeah...just waltz on in at this time of night with another insomnia inducing suggestion! This really should've been a Saturday morning post.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Oh yeah...just waltz on in at this time of night with another insomnia inducing suggestion! This really should've been a Saturday morning post.
Dude, you're going to need to get this out of your system. Grab your grease gun and go lubricate your bearings, you'll sleep so much better

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk