Headset for older 32mm boxxers

nathanm

Eats Squid
Gave it a hambo for 0 results. Have a feeling this is going to the fuckwits thread

Working on the 07? V10 and replaced the headset with a 34eess but the 32mm version boxxer forks has some flange type thing at the bottom of the steerer so the crown race and bearing don't fit.

Do these forks take some kind of funky headset?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm struggling to think of any other explanation. Best way to confirm is to get the steerer measurements.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I'm struggling to think of any other explanation. Best way to confirm is to get the steerer measurements.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Disagree. There’s only one boxxer steerer, crown, CSU. Best way is seeing a pic to assess what is up
If it’s not the fork that was originally in the bike, my first thought is that the back that it came on has a 1.5 steerer, and fork has a crown race adapter for 1 1/8, or a race for a frame that takes tapered fork.

Either way, my money is on there being a crown race still on the fork.

moorey

call me Mia
Second thought is that it’s a particularly snug fitting, non split race, that needs some ugga duggas to be fitted.

moorey

call me Mia
ok, just for you. I forgot to put the Y in Madena.

I was trying to use the compression ring as the crown race :oops:

15 years I've been mechaniking bikes as this has to be up there in terms of the stupidest things I've done.
Pfft. I’ve seen way worse. Like not installing a race or compression ring and complaining about rattly forks.

ausdb

Being who he is
Keep going, sounds like you were gradually pulling it straight... :p
Couldn't quite get it straight, star nut kept slipping under tension so had to change forks :) . Confessed about it the other week or in what did you do today.