Headset bearings

kooga

Likes Bikes
Need new lower bearing for my headset (reason in confessions from F****WITS )and have no idea what to get, and seeing as it was an OEM one if i need a whole new headset.

Basically I have a a 2016 Merida big nine XT carbon, and need to know the best way to go. Do i need a new headset or can i grabbed just a sealed bearing for the lower bit/ should I replace everything at once?

Also replacing the BB, any reason not to go Shimano?

One last thing, where did everyone learn to service there forks, I want to do mine but dont want to F*** it up and then need to shell out for a brand new set

Cheers in advance

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just read your confession...if you're headset is not a sealed bearing cartridge unit (as implied by the way you have lost your balls) you can't just drop a cartridge bearing in. Your lbs may have some replacement rings of bearings, but it is unlikely. Your best option is to cough up and buy a whole new headset. A sealed bearing one. They arent expensive and will make you happy.

I've been running shimano bottom brackets for along time. I'm yet to be dissatisfied with their performance and price.

As for the forks, try you tube tutorials or holding hands with an experienced friend as they undertake the operation.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Sounds like you have loose balls in a race. If you want to upgrade to sealed bearings, you will need a new headset.

YouTube will show you how to service pretty much anything on a MTB.

kooga

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys,
Guessed that I would need a whole new headset from my limited research. That will be a LBS operations as I don't have the headset press tool/ dont want to be adding another post the the F**wit thread.

With the forks, I have watched you tubed video's a lot, but still think help is the best. I am going to have to start making friends who ride MTBs now.

stirk

Burner
If you had one of these races then your best option is to buy a complete headset which will include the fork crown race as they are different for races versus sealed bearings.

IMG_20161102_134737.jpg

I just replaced my dodgy race headset with one of these, it's nice and I would assume your bike takes a tapered headset also.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/tapered-headset/

As mentioned big threaded rod, with nuts and washers will do the trick. If you're near the blue mountains I'd be happy to lend you my tools.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A hammer and a block of wood...just bash the fucker in! Gently of course. Unless it's carbon, then heat frame up with a hair drier and slip the cup in while frame is malleable. Leave it in the fridge overnight to reset.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A hammer and a block of wood...just bash the fucker in! Gently of course. Unless it's carbon, then heat frame up with a hair drier and slip the cup in while frame is malleable. Leave it in the fridge overnight to reset.
Great idea! I used my 30 tonne press and things got a bit crunchy. Mind you the steerer was looking like it would be a little short but now I have 40mm of spacers!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Great idea! I used my 30 tonne press and things got a bit crunchy. Mind you the steerer was looking like it would be a little short but now I have 40mm of spacers!
Just squirt some loctite inside and outside the head tube and you'll be sweet.

Some things are best left to the shop if you don't have the tools/experience.

stirk

Burner
Just squirt some loctite inside and outside the head tube and you'll be sweet.

Some things are best left to the shop if you don't have the tools/experience.
How will one gain experience without having that first crack at it?

Besides the fuckwit thread needs people to give it their best shot, and fail!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Headset press? Just rip off the patented Boompress™ design, like I did....

BB, shimano is as good as any branded BB. Ceramic balls are for wankers and aerospace.

What forks? If RockShox, the sram website has all the service manuals avaliable for download, and they're a piece of piss to do. I swapped a munted set of lowers and did a service in about half an hour for a bloke on here, while my dogs humped his legs. They're surprisingly, mechanically simple devices. If fox, don't bother, no amount of servicing will make them adequately perform.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Last edited: