Head tube facer

MARKL

Eats Squid
I still haven't found anyone with a setup to ream and face a 44mm head tube, so it looks like I will be buying the reamer and facer :Cry:

For a 44mm head tube Park recommend using the 690XL facer in conjunction with the 788 reamer and the 750 centering cone.

Now I can get a 690XXL (for 56mm head tube) facer for about $50 less than the 690XL facer. My question is, is there a problem with using this facer on a 44mm head tube? Logic says it is bigger so faceing the head tube isn't a problem. I wonder if there would be an issue with how it works with the smaller reamer:noidea:

haritone

Likes Dirt
I don't see that there would be a problem using the XXL facing tool with a smaller pilot as the ID would be the same and the pilot (or reamer) doesn't fit into any recess on the facing tool. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Surely your LBS can help you out rather than spending $700+ on a tool you may only ever use once?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yes it is a PIA for a tool with such limited use - and seriously why couldn't they make the cutters works with a head set press:frusty:

I have tried all the LBS and not so LBS, frame builders etc and no such luck. Anyhow building this frame has been fun so I may build more than one...

Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether the 690XXL will work?