Hardtail advice - Stanton

Hools

Likes Dirt
Got my frame. It's really green. Just waiting on parts, man. Waiting on parts. Frame looks great though.

Z

Zaf

Ok. Fairly decided but I need a push. The current Stanton Sherpa has QR rear hub spacing (10 x 135) with room for a 29 x 2.3 tyre. The new one due in July has 12 x 142 with more room out back.
Should I wait? I don't really care about the hub spacing but wouldn't mind being able to run a 2.4 rear tyre. Any thoughts?
I tried running a 2.25 Ardent on the rear of my Honzo for a little while, found the tyre pressure needed to go up or else I was dinging the rim, on the hardtail that made the ride noticeably less comfortable. Much preferred to he Ardent 2.4 and Ikon 2.35 on the hardtail.

If it fits a 2.35 Ikon out the rear, you should be good, that thing does have a serious bag (62mm across casing) to it and, out here, is the drive tyre of choice. In fact, the only thing I dislike about the Ikon 2.35 is that it's bag is so big, it'll look mismatched with the size of your front wheel on almost anything but a 2.5 Minion... But that's not really an issue, because why run anything else?!

Axle standards on a hardtail are less of an issue, the stiffness is gained from being welded single frame peice. Can't remeber the dropouts on the Stanton, thought they had a similar two bolt solid dropout system like the Honzo runs, in which case it's an aftermarket kit to take 142x12.

You gonna ride her through the wet so the frame gets the rusted finish that Stanton recommends?

Hools

Likes Dirt
Did you just do the Stanton freight? Also did you get a stand over measurement at all?
Yeah, I let Stanton do the freight. He'd already given me the early discount. I didn't actually get the stand over, just went with his recommendation for my height combined with the Geo that's on the site.

You gonna ride her through the wet so the frame gets the rusted finish that Stanton recommends?
Do what Zaf?

Z

Zaf

Pretty sure it was Stanton, having trouble finding the quote now; essentially said that the intended paint finish of the bike was that it would get a mottled oxidised look to it, and that if you didn't want this aesthetic to choose the red colours over the greens and blacks as they have a different finish that doesn't allow this to happen.

I can't find the quote for the life of me though, so maybe it's changed.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

Hools

Likes Dirt
Right, ok. I actually asked Dan if I could get one with the natural heat treated steel look, like the dirt jumper on the site, but they don't offer it any more. The green's nice though.

The rear dropouts aren't modular so I'm stuck with the QR rear, which I don't mind at all. Tyre wise, I just picked up some Specialized at the Bicycle Centre, they're doing two for the price of one. Going to try a 2.3 Purgatory up front and a 2.1 Ground Control out back. I run Specialized Control's on another bike and they are quality tyres.

rtd

Likes Dirt
I'm gonna disagree with every one else here. Yeah it's nice being able to change wheels between bikes and all, but you'd essentially be building a bike for the same purpose as you're dually. Having two bikes for the same trail so to speak.

From what i could see the 27.5 stanton is more of a am/endurbro style, being able to run 160mm forks and whatnot. (I petsonally believe anything over 120mm feels horrible on a hardtail, the bike seems to get sucked into its travel. And head angle changes get pretty drastic on full compression).

Whereas the 29er is a more single track, xc style bike, which seemed to be what you're after. 29" wheels are pretty bloody good on a hardtail for this kind of riding, you'll appreciate the added rollover with a rigid rear end.

Personally I'd go the 29 wheels, with 120mm forks. I have a dually for the gnar, why would I need a hardtail too?
Yeah, I agree with the above statement 100%. I also feel like there is no point in building another whole bike if it's parts are constantly going to be borrowed for another bike..