Had a Makita battery drill win today…

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
You know how, when you’re deep in a project, you need two battery drills at a minimum… one for the pilot hole, one for the tech screw… that sort of scenario.

Anyway, my ancient 9.6v B&D had finally carked it. Honestly, it has been awesome and renovated four houses. But it had lost most of its mojo and had become my pilot hole drill. It’s toast and now destined for land fill.

My main battery drill is an 18v Makita, which is way more powerful and awesomer, particularly since upgrading the 1300mAh NiCad batteries to 3000mAh NiMH.

So, the other day, I get on ePrey… and lo… there is my exact Makita with 2 NiCads (and weirdly the wrong 14.4v charger) for $80 plus shipping. Apparently unused.

It arrived today… and obviously it has never been used. 100% brand new. I charge both the NiCads in the correct 18v charger, and they are both sweet.

Now I have two identical 18v Makitas, two 3000mAh NiMH batteries and three 1300mAh batteries… I know it’s not a big deal, but I am stoked.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You know how, when you’re deep in a project, you need two battery drills at a minimum… one for the pilot hole, one for the tech screw… that sort of scenario.
Damn, I need a bagain like this! I'm still running my 7.2v Makita from the 80's which belonged to my grandfather, she's a little weak but just won't give up.

The last battery lasted 15 years, as did the one before. I got a 2 pack of batteries for under $50, and they are awesome, it's the ultimate pilot hole drill because it's super light and small. Needless to say when I upgrade I will be getting Makita again.

I did get lucky though on a battery/charger combo, we got given a 40v Victa mower, a friend had upgrade to 72v. Out of production, and the charger died, so I got on eBay too, and found a charger and 4Ah battery for less than original price of just the battery. Then found a line trimmer to suit for about $70 less than usual. I can do the entire yard on a single charge of the two batteries unless I've let it get 30cm long.

I also found an unused Makita angle grinder in the box in a carpark once. Has come in handy. Having a father and grandfather that were both builders, I've hardly bought any tools, and have a shit load of imperial spanners that are useless.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I bought a 6Ah with a power head a few weeks back, had a bit if battery envy at the chunky 12Ah High Output one sitting there.
Battery tools have come a long way.
Easily replacing petrol and plugged electric for 90% of jobs, DIY and commercial.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I bought a 6Ah with a power head a few weeks back, had a bit if battery envy at the chunky 12Ah High Output one sitting there.
Battery tools have come a long way.
Easily replacing petrol and plugged electric for 90% of jobs, DIY and commercial.
I am so fucking stoked on my battery electric kit even though it's not that grunty, it was a pleasure passing my old petrol tools on. The lack of grunt encourages me to mow more often, and is so much easier to just put the battery on and go.

hambonanas

Want to know what I had for breakfast? I tell you!
Awesome... I missed you man.

BTW, you are confusing me with someone who has a functioning memory, for who rides what...
Ah I'm blushing! I ride a Ragley Big Al, I might start a thread about it...

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
So in your two drill combo no impact driver for the screws? My 'fixing' skills include duct tape, zip ties and tek screws, I'm a desk jockey with little skills. The impact driver has facilitated the later more than any other device.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That thread is dead - I started a new non-melt down version.
A new thread? What a surprise...

Why not just tack it on the end of the old thread since you're the same person and the bike will be all but unchanged (or just ask for your old account to be reactivated and reinstate the original post)?

hambonanas

Want to know what I had for breakfast? I tell you!
A new thread? What a surprise...

Why not just tack it on the end of the old thread since you're the same person and the bike will be all but unchanged (or just ask for your old account to be reactivated and reinstate the original post)?
I did ask but didn't get a reply, hence the new account.