GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Just in the middle of fitting the X01 kit....need some help...

Not 100% about which bits I need / don't need....?
I've got the SRAM exploded diagrams in front me.

There are 3 o-rings in the kit. One is already on the new B-Bolt. One is larger and loose. One is smaller and loose.
Smaller loose o-ring is a nice fit under the head of the new B-Bolt. Makes sense to keep muck out of the area between the B-Bolt sleeve/bush and the bolt shaft itself ?
Larger loose o-ring is a good fit on the frame/inner side of the b-limit plate?

The wave washer that was between my b-limit plate and derailleur....no longer used?....or retained??
It's shown in the diagrams for GX....but not X01...??

The retaining collar that stops the GX bolt from unwinding....No longer needed I'm thinking...??
There doesn't seem to be a groove/landing for it on the new X01 bolt....?
Anything from the GX assembly ditch, you only need what came in the baggy with the X01. You’ve guessed right on the loose o rings.

Be really careful and use grease sliding the sleeve and the tension plate over the b bolt, I mangled the little o ring on the b bolt...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’ve had some ghost shifting return though, perhaps my body was too far chewed out.

I’ve dropped it at pushys to see if Sram will warranty it and see if it’s better again with a non chewed out body and the X01 b bolt

Sixfootsixmtb

Cannon Fodder
Hi all, same gx issue here. Ordered the part from MTB direct, but for some reason it doesn't seem to fit, having more slack (3-4mm) then the standard gx (1-2mm) b-bolt.

I've attached a photo of the part I ordered.

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

Attachments

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
That looks like the right kit.

I had to fiddle around with a few different o-ring config's until I got it right.
....and from memory you don't need every part in the kit.
@Haakon will be along shortly....he's the guru on this.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The sleeve should be a tight fit in the mech body, but as you note there is some play between the bolt itself and the sleeve.

It should tighten up when fitted though - it sorta clamps the sleeve between the bolt head and the tensioner plate. Don’t use the GX plate it’s different.

If it’s not all doing up tight the o rings might be the wrong way around.

Or the GX body is so badly shagged the sleeve is sloppy in which put all the GX bits back in it and try for a warranty replacement from SRAM...

Sixfootsixmtb

Cannon Fodder
Thanks guys. I might try fiddling with it again. It seemed as though when I put the new xx1 b-bolt in the gap (between the green lines) was greater 3-4mm than the gx as pictured.

To be perfectly honest, for the price, I think I'll probably jump ship to shimano now 12sp is out.... sick of all the sram issues with lower end models.

Attachments

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Thanks guys. I might try fiddling with it again. It seemed as though when I put the new xx1 b-bolt in the gap (between the green lines) was greater 3-4mm than the gx as pictured.

To be perfectly honest, for the price, I think I'll probably jump ship to shimano now 12sp is out.... sick of all the sram issues with lower end models.
To be fair, the shifting without any movement in the b bolt is pretty damn nice, and as nice as the X01 11 speed I had on my last bike.

The SRAM stuff does have a lovely shift feel when it’s working... I hated the 10sp XT I used to run.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I think you're referring to the wrong bit. @Haakon is referring to the B bolt (circled red below), not the B limit screw (circled blue) that adjusts upper jockey wheel clearance from the cassette. The B bolt is a bit more bespoke with a fine M10 thread and 5mm hex drive. $40 is for the whole kit, but it if gives you X01 like shifting crispness from a GX derailleur...

View attachment 354418
Did you replace everything on the Gx with what came in the kit Haakon, or just the red bolt that Nambra has circled? My wife's GX is shit so I'm keen

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Did you replace everything on the Gx with what came in the kit Haakon, or just the red bolt that Nambra has circled? My wife's GX is shit so I'm keen
Whole kit. Except for the new high and low adjuster screws they also give you.

DMan

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Does this look the same @Haakon or a knockoff? It's just it will arrive a lot faster than the gear from Taiwan...
The ebay store says its bikebug.

I really doubt bikebug is selling knock off components. I bought my b-bolt kit from there (yet to install it) and it looks legit sram.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Does this look the same @Haakon or a knockoff? It's just it will arrive a lot faster than the gear from Taiwan...
I got mine off eBay from taiwan too. Looks legit - just a silver one. I’ve got black and they come in gold as well.

Even the knock off producers in China would surely struggle with such an obscure part :)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
one of the problems i've found with GX eagle is the spring in the derailleur is not strong enough, it will shift perfectly fine both ways with a brand new inner/outer and clean/lubed derailleur pivots/cable pulley, a couple of rides in wet/muddy conditions and poor shifting returns, will shift mostly ok when changing to easier gears, but when changing to taller gears the spring cant overcome the crud build up and usually have to do 2 clicks then go back up. Basically its a shit derailleur, im not convinced on new shimano yet and will be going the X01 route.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
@Haakon Pardon my ignorance, but how How do you remove the derailleur bolt?? Is this a circlip or something similar?
No experience with this mod myself but the circled bit below looks like the loose end of an overlapping circlip. Small pick or screwdriver, wedge it up and out of a a groove it's probably sitting in on the screw, follow it around the full circumference.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
No experience with this mod myself but the circled bit below looks like the loose end of an overlapping circlip. Small pick or screwdriver, wedge it up and out of a a groove it's probably sitting in on the screw, follow it around the full circumference.

View attachment 360842
Yep, can confirm that clip/keyring has to be removed.
There's a bit of a knack to it but not too hard. Once you get the edge lifted with the pick, move the tool around radially and it'll come out a bit like peeling Apple skin.

DMan

View attachment 360842
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try