Gravel Bikes - drops or flats, boing vs rigid, steel/aluminium/carbon, clips or flats… the social outcast

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I’ve been a passionate mountain biker for the past 20 years. I get bored (maybe frustrated) very easily and often go off and seek out new interests or specifically cycling niches. Due to some medical issues I’ve spent a lot of time off the bike in 2021 and while it hurts my sense of pride to admit it, at 55 years of age I’m struggling with balance and fear issues…. Thus not enjoying mountain biking as much as I used to. I now find I’m transitioning to more long distance, mostly dirt rambling solo rides.

Rather than continue to ride a modified roadie/XC bike I’ve decided to purchase a dedicated “gravel bike”.

Wish list:
  • Longer reach than a flat bar converted drop bar bike.
  • Flat bars
  • Room for 50 mm tyres
  • Suspension fork (30-60 mm travel)
  • Light weight
  • Flat pedals
  • 1X Drive train
Am I going to be disowned by the ‘true gravel’ sub-culture and the mountain bike sub-culture? It appears flat bar bikes in particular are not loved in the gravel community.

Last edited:

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
That Spec is a great bike...definitely on the want list. At the moment, leaning towards this one...

Nearly half the price of the Specialized one.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Am I going to be disowned by the ‘true gravel’ sub-culture and the mountain bike sub-culture?
Yes, gravel bike w@nkers will look down their noses (through their rudy project gravel lens glasses) at you. But who gives a flying...
MTBers won't care. Run what you brung. Just keep up!

Suspension seems like a strange choice on a gravel bike though? Why not stick with xc MTBs?

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Suspension seems like a strange choice on a gravel bike though? Why not stick with xc MTBs?
I've ummed and ahhed over the suspension thing for a while. Marin make a cheaper version of the above bike with a rigid carbon fork. I was leaning that way until I looked into the details a bit more... the clincher... the DSX FS has a longer reach (20 mm), higher stack (30 mm) and 1 degree slacker headtube angle. I can always remove the heavy suspension fork and replace with a carbon rigid fork at some point. With my joint pain issues...I may want to keep the suspension.

As for XC Mtbs, ...been there, done that. I wanted to see if there was anything to this gravel bike thing. I still have my mountain bikes (Short Travel 29er Full Sus and Santa Cruz Chameleon C hard tail) to ride trails when I want. I may find after a while that I'm just as happy punting the Santa Cruz hard tail on gravel roads, who knows.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
CyclingTips has reviews on the Spec and Marin, from memory the reach on the Marin was too short as they didn’t compensate for the flat bar whereas Spec did.

Minlak

custom titis

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
CyclingTips has reviews on the Spec and Marin, from memory the reach on the Marin was too short as they didn’t compensate for the flat bar whereas Spec did.
This is why I prefer the DSX FS over the DSX 2 (Which that review is based on)... the geometry between the two is different (reach, stack, top tube length, even headtube length). From memory the DSX FS is the same reach as the Specialized, but slacker head tube angle.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Am I going to be disowned by the ‘true gravel’ sub-culture and the mountain bike sub-culture? It appears flat bar bikes in particular are not loved in the gravel community.
yes, the gravel crew hate flat bars, but unless you want to compete for KOM's or be in with the brunswick/northcote gravel scene it matters not

you could look at curve walmer bars, they are mostly flat bars with a bit of curve at the end -i do find drops a good change of position -esp when going fast on longer descents.
.check around for a 2nd hand cannondale slate -great suspension built in, if you don't like the drops youll easily sell off the groupset to make way for a flat bar setup

have 2 mates with marin's, very good value for money -steel versions

bear the bear

Is a real bear
In stock as long as you are not a small (sorry is x2)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm not in the "why not just use a hardtail" heckling horde when talking about normal gravel bikes with drop bars and rigid fork etc. (mine is a cx bike running 40C tyres) as it is a very different beast.

However, when you're comparing a hardtail mtb to a bike with flat bars, 30-60mm travel forks and 2 inch tyres I do seriously question why:

1. I doubt it is going to be any lighter than a 29er hardtail with 100mm fork and a 36T (or 38T?) chainring?
  2. Is the riding position going to be any different to a hardtail?
  3. You can run the same tyres on the mtb.
  4. The mtb fork will no doubt be better performing (and more comfortable) than the gravel fork.
  5. The HTA on that Marin is 68.5deg so handling wouldn't be that different to an xc hardtail.
Assuming that you're still at the Sunshine Coast, there's heaps of great mixed / gravel riding around there. I've been taking my norco threshold up there lately when visiting my oldies and enjoying the riding from Peregian out through Yandina, Eumundi, Cooroy, the Noosa Trail Network etc. so definitely reckon the 'gravel bike' will get a lot of use.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah, I think if you're looking at suspension and all as well, then there's no real reason not to just go a light XC hardtail with 2" tyres. Bonus is they've been around a long time so it's not especially hard to find something carbon and quality second hand for less than that Marin.

The suspension thing on gravel does confuse me a bit.. Well, not confuse. But I can't relate to wanting it. The main appeal to me of a dedicated gravel bike over an XC bike is the quick zingy handling and more forward seating position - i.e. a road bike for dirt roads. Add in a heavy suspension fork that dives when you're braking into corners and all? No thanks.

The suspension on gravel bikes is largely there for comfort rather than grip like on an MTB that spends its time on single track, so to my mind - as much as I hate to say it - the Futureshock is a much better approach in that it takes the pressure off your hands and wrists, but without impacting the handling of the bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If you stick with the MTB, you will have room for bigger tyres which depending on choice, can be lighter in 2.1/2.25 than 42c Gravel tyres.

Schwalbe Thunder Burts in 2.35 (before the new Addix compound) were 550g, these ran at the correct pressure for the terrain makes for a very comfortable ride. I have a couple of the pre-addix stored ;)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Lauf make full bikes now too, all full carbon. Not flat bar though, but the spec and value across their range is pretty decent. You could swap out the bars, they leave a fair bit of steerer on. The suspension is via their own fork design and is ultra light. 30mm just to smooth out the bumps. Some of the range comes with wireless shifting, carbon wheels, power meters etc. Not even at the top end of the range too.

Ill probably be looking at one of those in the next 12 months.

Last edited:

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Assuming that you're still at the Sunshine Coast, there's heaps of great mixed / gravel riding around there. I've been taking my norco threshold up there lately when visiting my oldies and enjoying the riding from Peregian out through Yandina, Eumundi, Cooroy, the Noosa Trail Network etc. so definitely reckon the 'gravel bike' will get a lot of use.
I live in Coolum Beach. One of my favourite rides is out the back of Peregian Beach, Murdering Creek, Noosa Valley, Over the back of Timbeerwah, Lake McDonald, Trail 7 to Pomona...something to eat/drink...then back home again... 100km with minimal contact with bitumen and cars. Love it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I live in Coolum Beach. One of my favourite rides is out the back of Peregian Beach, Murdering Creek, Noosa Valley, Over the back of Timbeerwah, Lake McDonald, Trail 7 to Pomona...something to eat/drink...then back home again... 100km with minimal contact with bitumen and cars. Love it.
Might try and tee up a ride when I go up next.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Lauf make full bikes now too, all full carbon. Not flat bar though, but the spec and value across their range is pretty decent. You could swap out the bars, they leave a fair bit of steerer on. The suspension is via their own fork design and is ultra light. 30mm just to smooth out the bumps. Some of the range comes with wireless shifting, carbon wheels, power meters etc. Not even at the top end of the range too.

Ill probably be looking at one of those in the next 12 months.

I'd be interested to try one of their bikes, but not sure I'd stump up the cash without riding one first. The forks get quite mixed reviews, as they are basically undamped springs. Probably fine for JRA gravelling, probably not so fine for anything with any (gravel-relative) chunky bits.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'd be interested to try one of their bikes, but not sure I'd stump up the cash without riding one first. The forks get quite mixed reviews, as they are basically undamped springs. Probably fine for JRA gravelling, probably not so fine for anything with any (gravel-relative) chunky bits.
Know a guy that's done both north and south island NZ multi week bikepacking trips riding one of these bikes. He rates them highly. Some mods done - like his own bars and a Di2 set up rather than the AXS or campy stuff, but as a bike he loved it. Had prior experience with their forks which lead him to buy one of the bikes.

The undamped spring aspect, yeah get that, though there are people riding gravel bikes over chunky bits on rigid forks. I assume when they come from that, anything is better lol.

If/when i get around to picking one up, ill give you a yell.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'll throw my 2c in now as I've been where you find yourself pondering. I bought a Merida Silex 1x in the end as the roadie I had was killing me on the shitty local roads my wife and I ride. Best thing I did. Love it. It's geometry is quite slack. The reviews I read said it was very MTB for a gravel bike. My thoughts are if you are doing some longer KMs then I'd seriously consider drop bars for comfort. And aerodynamics. For me the 40c tyres and the fact you can run at 35psi really does take the hits out. So suspension isn't necessary. I went a 1x model for the simplicity. Mine is 43 front 11-42 rear so I have plenty of range. Great for venturing offroad and single trail. Make sure you go 12mm axles both ends. Stiffens the bike up dramatically and really makes the bike feel stable. I was amazed at how confident I felt on gravel roads. Also another thing that really surprised me was it's not slow on the road. I'm riding at pretty much the same average speed as I was on the roadie. My wife bought a Norco Search but was disappointed. Too long and the 2x was clunky. I just bought her an XS version of what I have and she loves it.