Gravel Bike Help.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm looking at a gravel bike. The roads round my place are shit and we have a lot of gravel roads intersecting them. But I'm a bit stuck as to whether I look at a 650B or 700C bike. I realise 650b will potentially be more comfortable with wider tyres and lower pressures but do you sacrifice momentum and more effiency? Anyone here have experience with both or one vs the other??

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I guess it comes down to the surfaces you'll ride it most of the time. I've got 700x38c because I use it for commuting on tarmac bike paths as well. If it was 100% gravel and off road, I'd look at 650b.

I think frames that can accommodate a 650b can usually take a 700 wheelset as well so you can get a second wheelset at some point if you find 650b too sluggish / overkill for the trails you're riding.

Bombtrack Hook EXT is worth checking out.

DMan

I guess it comes down to the surfaces you'll ride it most of the time. I've got 700x38c because I use it for commuting on tarmac bike paths as well. If it was 100% gravel and off road, I'd look at 650b.

I think frames that can accommodate a 650b can usually take a 700 wheelset as well so you can get a second wheelset at some point if you find 650b too sluggish / overkill for the trails you're riding.

Bombtrack Hook EXT is worth checking out.
Yes, it's true it can take both sized wheelsets. The other point I should have made is the 650b is 1X9 46T front with 11-46 cassette. The 700C is 2X9 46/30 with 11-32. The latter may be nicer with the hills we have around here. I'm leaning to the 700C

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'd go the 700C build if it has clearance for a 42c tyre.

That way you can us the same wheelset with a set of slicks if you so choose in the future. You already have a mtb if you want to get rowdier than a 42C allows.

Are you riding the Sundown Road? I remember that being rough as in a 4wd 10 years ago !

timedward

Likes Dirt
Have had both 700 x 43 and 650b x 2.0 on the same bike. If you're purely riding on fire-roads and gravel roads I'd stick with 700c (assuming it has clearance > 700 x 40). Otherwise, if you plan to take it on single-track or rougher terrain, a wide 650b tyre is great for comfort and also has the bonus of reducing toe overlap. My advice would be to future proof your decision and get a bike that can take both wheel sizes with at least 700 x 45 or 650b x 2.0 clearance.

DMan

I'd go the 700C build if it has clearance for a 42c tyre.

That way you can us the same wheelset with a set of slicks if you so choose in the future. You already have a mtb if you want to get rowdier than a 42C allows.

Are you riding the Sundown Road? I remember that being rough as in a 4wd 10 years ago !
Funnily a lot is just the council "Bike Trail" from Stanthorpe to Ballandean! Some of the crappiest roads in the district... But Girraween and Broadwater state park have some great roads for a gravel bike...
Have had both 700 x 43 and 650b x 2.0 on the same bike. If you're purely riding on fire-roads and gravel roads I'd stick with 700c (assuming it has clearance > 700 x 40). Otherwise, if you plan to take it on single-track or rougher terrain, a wide 650b tyre is great for comfort and also has the bonus of reducing toe overlap. My advice would be to future proof your decision and get a bike that can take both wheel sizes with at least 700 x 45 or 650b x 2.0 clearance.
Hmmm. Probably just gravel roads and firetrails. Anything more and I'd ride my MTB. The Marin takes a 650bX45 or a 700X40C. Any thoughts on the gearing I said they had? 1X9 vs 2X9?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Funnily a lot is just the council "Bike Trail" from Stanthorpe to Ballandean! Some of the crappiest roads in the district... But Girraween and Broadwater state park have some great roads for a gravel bike...

Hmmm. Probably just gravel roads and firetrails. Anything more and I'd ride my MTB. The Marin takes a 650bX45 or a 700X40C. Any thoughts on the gearing I said they had? 1X9 vs 2X9?
32/30 ain't much easier than 46/46. The decision really should be based upon whether you are willing to live with a FD to get yourself nice tight gearing jumps.

IMO 46T chainring is a bit too big for a gravel bike. It'd be better to run a 42T chainring with that 46T cassette.

What RD is it on 1x? Is it clutched even?

timedward

Likes Dirt
2x9 would be my pick. The 2x9 will have much tighter ratios and slightly larger range by the ratios you have said. You'll appreciate the smaller jumps between gears If you're just riding on gravel roads.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely go 700c.

Get a bike that can accommodate 29X2.0-2.1 MTB Tyres and you are away.
Also, would steer clear of CX bikes. They are generally designed to be sharp handling for short racing and whilst they can be used for gravel riding, they offer a little less comfort

DMan

32/30 ain't much easier than 46/46. The decision really should be based upon whether you are willing to live with a FD to get yourself nice tight gearing jumps.

IMO 46T chainring is a bit too big for a gravel bike. It'd be better to run a 42T chainring with that 46T cassette.

What RD is it on 1x? Is it clutched even?
Clutched Microshift advent. I'd be more keen if it was 11sp over 9sp running 1X. I think the 700c would be better suited anyway.
2x9 would be my pick. The 2x9 will have much tighter ratios and slightly larger range by the ratios you have said. You'll appreciate the smaller jumps between gears If you're just riding on gravel roads.
Sounds good to me. I'd like to ride what I ride now, and extra, but be more comfortable

Definitely go 700c.

Get a bike that can accommodate 29X2.0-2.1 MTB Tyres and you are away.
Also, would steer clear of CX bikes. They are generally designed to be sharp handling for short racing and whilst they can be used for gravel riding, they offer a little less comfort
Definitely not getting a CX bike. I've even looked at "touring" bikes as the geometry looks even more aligned to "comfort"...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a Kona Sutra LTD and it was my favourite bike to ride.
Used to get ridden on everything, Road/FiretraiL/gravel/MTB Trails.

If I wasn't getting swamped by kids, I would be on another

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Definitely not getting a CX bike. I've even looked at "touring" bikes as the geometry looks even more aligned to "comfort"...
no KOM chasing for you then

i’ve tried both, 650 is much plusher, but a drag & a lot slower if you have lots of flat..on the steep stuff, either lots of up or down - my times between the 2 tyre sizes are very similar over long segments or whole rides

i reckon hardtail frames make the bs]est gravel bikes

i know you say you would take your mtb but it is nice to cut some single trk if you find it on your gravel bike, the 650b handles this, the way 700x43 i find uncomfortable for some reason (this coming from me who learnt mtb on SS rigid)

if you want to wait a week i’ll b putting my lynsey Ti ht up for sale, setup as gravel bike

i’d b sticking to 1xanything, even if 9x -get one of the newer 42t 9spd cassettes

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm looking at a gravel bike. The roads round my place are shit and we have a lot of gravel roads intersecting them. But I'm a bit stuck as to whether I look at a 650B or 700C bike. I realise 650b will potentially be more comfortable with wider tyres and lower pressures but do you sacrifice momentum and more effiency? Anyone here have experience with both or one vs the other??
What's your budget?
I have a Trek Checkpoint and that fits 700x42.
650b v. 700c.... everyone's gravel is different

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Are you going to ride single track? ... tight corners or open flowing corners?
Do you buy into the big bags story? Big and wide is more comfy, doesn’t suffer from road resistance ... so faster?
Answer to these questions will tell you if 650b is more important

Are your roads corrugated? As opposed to rough ... do you prefer the feel of pedalling efficiency that only big wheels offer?
These two questions will tell you if 700c is more important.

I have both ... but my 650b is essentially an short travel drop bar MTB
My 700c is a downhillers roadie :) love them both, but the 700c is way more versatile and gets used way more.

Link is no longer the Bombtrack distro so currently clearing. Depending on size we have a few Hook 1s as well as Medium and small Hook EXT left at solid prices. Hit up one of the Bombtrack dealers or Link direct. All out the door.

DMan

What's your budget?
I have a Trek Checkpoint and that fits 700x42.
650b v. 700c.... everyone's gravel is different
Budget is about $1500 but I'm waiting a few months until I finish a few things.
Are you going to ride single track? ... tight corners or open flowing corners?
Do you buy into the big bags story? Big and wide is more comfy, doesn’t suffer from road resistance ... so faster?
Answer to these questions will tell you if 650b is more important

Are your roads corrugated? As opposed to rough ... do you prefer the feel of pedalling efficiency that only big wheels offer?
These two questions will tell you if 700c is more important.

I have both ... but my 650b is essentially an short travel drop bar MTB
My 700c is a downhillers roadie :) love them both, but the 700c is way more versatile and gets used way more.

Link is no longer the Bombtrack distro so currently clearing. Depending on size we have a few Hook 1s as well as Medium and small Hook EXT left at solid prices. Hit up one of the Bombtrack dealers or Link direct. All out the door.
That's far too complicated for me Nerf. I just want a bike that does everything. Like everyone else does..
Pretty set on 2x9 and 700c for what I'd like to ride

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Budget is about $1500 but I'm waiting a few months until I finish a few things.
You are going to struggle with that budget.
Gravel bikes in general, both second hand and new have been in short supply due to COVID-19.
I would suggest keeping an eye on Facebook and just grabbing whatever is in your budget that grabs your fancy

DMan

You are going to struggle with that budget.
Gravel bikes in general, both second hand and new have been in short supply due to COVID-19.
I would suggest keeping an eye on Facebook and just grabbing whatever is in your budget that grabs your fancy
Not really. I'm not looking for anything special. Just something to run a few kms on. I've seen a couple of Marins and Polygons that fit the bill

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Not really. I'm not looking for anything special. Just something to run a few kms on. I've seen a couple of Marins and Polygons that fit the bill
Either of those will do the trick. Personally run 2x10 on the gravel road bike with 700x28 tyres. 2x is a sub-compact crank telling an 11-32 cassette what to do. The big ring stops you spinning out on the road while the small means you can pretty much climb a wall.

Have run 35mm tyres but didn't find they made much difference on our sand over gravel corrugated roads... descending over corrugations sucks no matter what 700c tyre widths you have. And when the road turns properly sandy then even a 50 mm tyre can really struggle. But the 28 mm tyre seems to have the best balance between efficiency and handling.

DMan

Either of those will do the trick. Personally run 2x10 on the gravel road bike with 700x28 tyres. 2x is a sub-compact crank telling an 11-32 cassette what to do. The big ring stops you spinning out on the road while the small means you can pretty much climb a wall.

Have run 35mm tyres but didn't find they made much difference on our sand over gravel corrugated roads... descending over corrugations sucks no matter what 700c tyre widths you have. And when the road turns properly sandy then even a 50 mm tyre can really struggle. But the 28 mm tyre seems to have the best balance between efficiency and handling.
Sounds good to me. Pretty much my thinking with 2X. We have some decent climbs around here that I think would suck with a 46 chainring. But I'm glad to hear about the 28c tyres though. Another option I'm looking at is a roadbike that runs 28c wheels. But I like the idea of the geometry on a gravel bike leaning a bit more towards a more comfortable ride. I've realised that my present roadie is too small for me so I may as well kill 2 birds by getting a better fit bike and something more comfortable and fun on our roads around here.