Got any stock ? Looking for a component ? Its in stock !

Minlak

custom titis
Because it's a consumable and it'll be out of stock when I need one.

How often do you replace your cassette?
About every 3000km - 5000km - change chains to save cassettes - I don't ride in gritty / muddy conditions (but do ride in the rain)
So how many KM's you at for the year so far - we are 6mths in - so my cassettes between bikes will last 2 yrs

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Never or rarely. If your changing chains before they are too worn you will get years out of a cassette. Buy all the things, Tannus, spare chains, brake pads. Tax return time soon, stock up! ;)
So I've been successfully talked out of a spare cassette and an insert. More money for a new fork..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Never or rarely. If your changing chains before they are too worn you will get years out of a cassette.
This^ change chains at 0.75mm and cassettes last me the life of a bike.

I tell my boys to change gears like the cassette teeth are made of glass. This falls on deaf ears, they know better than me.

Jpez

Down on the left!
So I've been successfully talked out of a spare cassette and an insert. More money for a new fork..
Some people don’t ‘need’ inserts. I probably don’t need one either really although I don’t seem to be slashing tires and dinting rims as much as I used to. But I found heaps of benefit from an insert in the ride quality which I definitely feel and it does offer rim and tire protection.
So yeah you don’t need to go out and buy a cassette but think of an insert as an experiment. Maybe it will work for you maybe it won’t and then you can sell it.
Personally I found an insert on the rear of my hard tail worked really well as I can only fit a 2.3 tire in the rear and I would destroy tyres on it regularly. When I chucked an insert in I could run lower pressure which gave me a bit more cushion on the rough stuff and destroying tyres became less of an issue.
I think inserts definitely have their place and I wouldn’t be without one in the rear now. To me it’s a must have.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't stock up on chains. My experience has taught me to buy the best chain I can afford. I run XO1 chains on my Sram setup and XT on the Shimano. My wife has a Shimano 11 speed setup her Canyon Exceed as do I on my Chameleon. I run the XO1 on my Trance 29er. I have found that a better quality chain, combined with regular after ride maintenance, is the cheapest way to prolong the life of the cassette and chain ring(s).
When the GX cassette finally goes, I am thinking of switching to a Shimano 1 x 11 there as well. Cheaper than a new cassette and the shifting seems smoother.
Now brake pads, I do stock up on those.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s not about cheap chains…it’s about keeping spares of good chains while they’re available and affordable.
All well and good for you unless you ended up waiting a month for a chain that’s costing you 2x what it used to.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Bit of a tangential one... Any of you #fckintradies out there (sparkies in particular @ozzybmx) got a wholesale/trade connect on 3m 2228 mastic tape? Aka Slapper Tape without the bike industry markup?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a tangential one... Any of you #fckintradies out there (sparkies in particular @ozzybmx) got a wholesale/trade connect on 3m 2228 mastic tape? Aka Slapper Tape without the bike industry markup?
I would like to know, as we. Last roll I bought was in 2019 off US Ebay site. AUD$69.00 sent to an address in the US then to me. Could not find it here.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Self Amalgamating tape, I don't do trade work these days but you should be able to get it quite easily.

Electrical wholesalers should carry it as its used quite often for wrapping heavier conductors.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Self Amalgamating tape, I don't do trade work these days but you should be able to get it quite easily.
Yep couple of retail suppliers have it but thought I'd check in case there was a better channel. Fcked it the other week when Amazon inexplicably had 10m rolls for $35. Put it in my cart but didn't execute, went back two days later and out of stock. FFS.