Google message

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Not what I was inferring
There has to be some way of retaining the taxes here to benefit the users/country. I guess the problem is that some of the massive revenues these companies receive is always going to be funneled into lobbyists, campaign contributions and lawyers to ensure the loopholes stay open
Thats how i see it too.

News outlets benefit from the existence of search engines, they just want to be able to make the search engines work the way the want them to. ie - my feed full of calming lefty satire would be filled with rage inducing sky news opinon pieces if they get their way, because they'll have the rescources to stack the chips in their favor.

I have no issue with google paying for content displayed on their products, that seems fair. but by the same token, maybe new outlets should be paying when users are directed to their sites though the engine, that also seems fair.

I did wonder what would happen if google spat the dummy and just said "ok, no more search hits for you newscorp!". hadn't really thought of them packing up their uno cards and fucking off home entirely, i'm waiting here with my popcorn to see what the clever people trying to make this happen come up with to counter that :p

Minlak

custom titis
Woke up - logged into computer - opened the pages I open and got this - So looks like they are all taking their bat and balls and going home :)

Interestingly most of the stuff I ever saw shared was blocked behind a paywall anyway so not sure what they are sooking about - I like that the selling of our information and ad space is ok to drive their business and when they are expected to pay - oh we can't do that lol

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There seems to be a lot of hand wringing and woe is me on the news channels ,,,old skool tv ones .

Interestingly i work with younger bods - ( like 20-30 ) and Farcebork is the first choice for news .

I do have reservations if a large event - fire /flood etc was to come as the reach is enormous - Traditional outlets - excepting ABC - TV / Radio ? Web based are challenged by the mobile platforms .

Interesting times ahead , well the next couple of days anyway .
At least it has taken covid - " ermagherd no toilet paper " off the front page .....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It is an excellent outcome. Would be even better if they took their ads and other faff with them too.

Just use a web browser for news and all done. News channels are having a field day.

Minlak

custom titis
It is an excellent outcome. Would be even better if they took their ads and other faff with them too.

Just use a web browser for news and all done. News channels are having a field day.
For me personally I 100% agree with you - But I am one of the rare ones that use FaceBook for me not for everyone else. If I get a friend request the first thing I do is unfollow you so my feed isn't full of your crap. My only concern is that it has become an everyday part of life for so many people and if it isn't on Facebook it doesn't exist - or Tik Tok or Insta - Social media in general.

I am horrible at keeping in contact with anyone (family / friends etc) and the number of times when I see some one I say "Oh I didn't know" and their response is "But I put it on Facebook". So sadly the only news some of these people ever see is Facebook.

Also how will I know when to be morally outraged and woke if you can't link the news story :)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Yep. Don't understand how a platform that is fighting to undo its reputation as a bastion for dangerous / lethal misinformation would ban the only links it has to reputable news and information sources.

I don't see how this can't backfire for them, but maybe I'm missing something.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
yes downunderdalla, there should be content on the maydena page where is states "no posts yet"

pinkbike all articles gone, yet gmbn and vital are still there.

searching wider, bureau of metrologies page is gone. wtf.

queensland health gone. midst a pandemic.

one of the richest men in the world decides to censor a big part of the internet

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
If I was the feds I'll be laughing my arse of at this clusterfuck of an implementation by Farcebook. The Guardian is reporting that pages like the Women's Legal Service, and a Women's Shelter in Hobart have been taken down, and a private mountain bike part is apparently news. Massive own goal by Zuckerberg!

Minlak

custom titis
If I was the feds I'll be laughing my arse of at this clusterfuck of an implementation by Farcebook. The Guardian is reporting that pages like the Women's Legal Service, and a Women's Shelter in Hobart have been taken down, and a private mountain bike part is apparently news. Massive own goal by Zuckerberg!
I think the biggest impact will be that people have the perception that Facebook is free and not a business. A lot of people have relied on FAcebook to be the primary face of their business / club / sporting organisation and now they are about to find the reality.

On the other side though as much as it is fun to pile on to Facebook and Google and such their main issue is not the fact of payments having to be made for the News Articles used but the lack of clarity around how they will be charged and no caps on the size of the payments.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Of course, most people using Google, and them now having a deal to promote News Corpse 'journalism' wont be an issue at all...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
pinkbike all articles gone, yet gmbn and vital are still there.

searching wider, bureau of metrologies page is gone. wtf.
You would have to think that they are really unable to figure out the difference between the types of content they let through.

I would have to assume that pinkbike is classed as a news site while gmbn and vita aren't.
On what basis did they make that decision and what else has been caught wrongly in these classification driftnets incorrectly earlier.

Yet I still see get served ad hooey like this in the top right hand corner most days. I'm not in need for either - for the record :oops: