Good road bike at a good price?

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Saw that one.

+ve Di2 at an unbelievable price, decent frame.
-ve Aksium wheels, tektro brakes, tiagra cassette, off series crank.

Also the new 11sp Ultegra has been announced which makes the current stuff cheaper.

I think it's probably an awesome buy. I'd want to hear from people who've ridden that frame though. I know nothing and have been able to find nothing out about it. Could be great or ride like a wet noodle.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Thats a prtty good price for a Di2 eqipped bike, even if they skimp on some of the components (brakes/cranks etc). I would assume the frame would be decent (probably comes from the same factory in China as many other brands). The mavic aksium wheels are heavy, but are bulletproof and for what it seems you want it for, this bike will be more than capable.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could probably get a slightly used Giant TCR advanced w/ Dura-ace 7900 10spd on ebay for that.

I can see a couple on there now.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I don't think you'll get a better deal anywhere (unless you want to go 2nd hand). I have a few friends now that have both DA Di2 and Ultegra Di2, some for 12 months at least, they're all very happy with the shifting.

KHS don't make a bad bike either, the fact that this is also a carbon frame is excellent. Not a bad weight either 8.65kg but with a few upgrades you could drop a kilo easy, if you cared about that. Looks like a nice comfortable frame with those thin seat stays too. I'd grab it.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
our local club has a Giant tcr advanced for 1800 clams. Got Ultegra and RS80 wheels. Pretty reliable rig that will get you through your training and then if the need arises have a little race.

let me know if you would like the number.

RB

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Saw that one.

+ve Di2 at an unbelievable price, decent frame.
-ve Aksium wheels, tektro brakes, tiagra cassette, off series crank.
Hardly deal-breaking stuff, especially as far as the cassette goes. Consider it a consumable, and whack in an Ultegra one when it's due for replacement.

Also the new 11sp Ultegra has been announced which makes the current stuff cheaper.
Not necessarily, there will be demand for service parts for 10-speed for a long time to come, and with minimal interchangeability with 11-sp, won't be phased out for a while yet.

scblack

Leucocholic
Its a great price for a decent set of parts, with a great gear set. I see no reason NOT to go for it.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Ok, I still haven't upgraded my road bike, so I am still looking. Anything around the $2000 - $2500 mark is good. Would prefer to buy new. It is just for training, no road racing. Ideally 50-34 cranks.

I've looked at the following:

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle...-forza-rl-carbon-road-bike-2013-sram-red.aspx
Seems like a good spec and gets good reviews

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-helios-c7-0-carbon-road-bike-shimano-ultegra/
No compact crank, but can be easily changed?

Any comments/other options would be great

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Just resurrecting this thread as I am in the hunt for a road or CX bike around the $1700 (new or run out or secondhand) in 60cm minimum. If it was a CX i would hope to use it on the Yarra Trails as well.

Anyone seen any cracker deals?

I would used it for commuting but Im a big lad whos is fairly rough on my bikes. if doubt i would be ride out to Kinglake or Beach road on the weekends

Otherwise I might just get another MTB 29er with gears and semislicks

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Just resurrecting this thread as I am in the hunt for a road or CX bike around the $1700 (new or run out or secondhand) in 60cm minimum. If it was a CX i would hope to use it on the Yarra Trails as well.

I would used it for commuting but Im a big lad whos is fairly rough on my bikes. if doubt i would be ride out to Kinglake or Beach road on the weekends

Otherwise I might just get another MTB 29er with gears and semislicks
I see Lycra in your future.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt

Just had a quick squiz on bikeexchange JD.

No used ones in your size but there's a bunch of new CX bikes on there well within your price range and in your size Xl or larger. And they've also got disc brakes available.

Kona Jake the Snake, Cannondale CAADX, Specialized Tricross, Scott CX (no discs).

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Just had a quick squiz on bikeexchange JD.

No used ones in your size but there's a bunch of new CX bikes on there well within your price range and in your size Xl or larger. And they've also got disc brakes available.

Kona Jake the Snake, Cannondale CAADX, Specialized Tricross, Scott CX (no discs).
Do I need discs- how much better are they than standard rim ones

They are the ones I am looking at- no Jakes around, Cannondale are not the best value for money, Trek arent big enough, i can add Focus Mares and BH as well.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marin do a really sweet alloy cx bike with discs, tubeless wheels, clutch derailleur and spam rival for just about bang on your budget. Last time I checked they still had stock of big sizes.

Avanti make a disc cx bike with 105 and rack mounts all over it for about 1600. 2014 model will touch down soon with plenty of big sizes. Also make tiagra for a little cheaper.

The most popular bikes at the recent national cx race were jamis and focus by a long way. Haven't ridden either though.

You could get a cross check with slightly beardo spec (heavy wheels and bar end shifters - which aren't too bad!). But definitely pricey for the spec. Great frame though. I'm on a soma at the moment, which I love.. But custom build only means you might struggle to get it together under your budget.

Discs are the future and road versions are getting better every day. But I'm running mini V's which shit over every other rim brake I've used and are completely satisfactory for all weather commuting/bit of off road fun.

JD, pm me if you want to talk options. I've ridden A LOT of these bikes in man sizes over the past few months.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
thanks G Fish

also considering a Singular Peregrine for commute and light off road- it is a steel drop bar 29er with EBB.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks G Fish

also considering a Singular Peregrine for commute and light off road- it is a steel drop bar 29er with EBB.
I looked at the peregrine before I bought my Soma, in the end it was a tad too pricey and I'm not the biggest fan of EBBs. Having said that I saw a friends new Kite the other day, that was a really well built bike!

I don't think this can be beat for the money though: http://www.marinbikes.com/2013/bike_specs.php?serialnum=1901&Cortina