Going 1X on a 2X roadbike. 110BCD questions

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm looking at options for my wife's trainer bike. Currently 2X10 compact Shimano 4bolt 105. It's a pain. Could, for an experiment, I change the big chainring (which I believe is 110 BCD) for an APEX 110BCD 4 bolt 11sp chainring and drop the front derailleur? It's the cheapest chainring I can find in 110BCD 4 bolt. And use washers to adjust the chainline a bit? It's currently running an 11-40t cassette so I was thinking a 42T chainring?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
yes they are bloody asymetric, check thr cyclocriss buy sell page as a few have those cranks and umight pick up a cheap lightly used ring

on one of my roadies irun a std ring, and cut the bottom off a front deraill to act as a chain guide_works fine, the rear derailleur doesnt hold chain well in small cogs ..on the other bike i have a pauls chain guide, but its bloddy exepsnive, close to 100US

DMan

What’s a pain with the 2x10 105 series gear? If it’s worn then sure, but otherwise should work sweet for a trainer.
^^^ This. The range is fantastic with 2x. Just big ring it everywhere, and little ring it anytime she's on the Alpe or Ventoux.
At the mo I have a 9sp long cage on the back and 11-40 cassette. She stretches the limits of it by running in the big ring on the front but still on the 40. And a lot of the time when she drops off the big ring it loses the chain. I just can't seem to get it set up smoothly. I love the 1X Apex on my GB so thought maybe it might suit her better to just go 1X so she doesn't have to fuss with the small chainring at all. I realise it will impact her gearing though.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Never run Big on the chain ring and big on the cassette... chain will be / , similarly never run small/small. If she's dropping into the small chainring while she's been grinding a long in Big/Big the sudden loss in tension will almost always drop the chain, shift down the cassette before dropping into the small chain ring on the front. I Generally try to keep 2 gears away from either extreme. Setting your front derailleur lower limit as close as possible may also help.

DMan

Never run Big on the chain ring and big on the cassette... chain will be / , similarly never run small/small. If she's dropping into the small chainring while she's been grinding a long in Big/Big the sudden loss in tension will almost always drop the chain, shift down the cassette before dropping into the small chain ring on the front. I Generally try to keep 2 gears away from either extreme. Setting your front derailleur lower limit as close as possible may also help.
I know that but feel free to explain it to my wife when she's at 12% gradient.....
After a good chat with @duck I'll leave as is and drop the cassette to a 11-36. After a new outer cable.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Something my wife would do . Its just a female thing.