Giant PXC2 27.5 rims setup tubeless with Bontrager Rhythm rim strip?

4wdphil

Likes Bikes
Hi Rotorburners

I'd like to try the Bontrager Rhythm symmetric tubeless rim strip setup on a 27.5 PXC-2 rim. It seems it's a great system for the PXC-2 29 rims but has anyone tried it on the 27.5 rims? I've seen one post from MTBR saying that it works well but haven't been able to find anything here. A quick search didn't turn up any suppliers of this size in Australia either but there must be someone stocking them.

Has anyone had experience with them on the Giant rims or suggest where they can be bought?

Thanks

4wdphil

Likes Bikes
Did a bit of reading up on this subject a while back. I believe Stans rim strip selector allows you to choose PXC2 x 27.5: http://www.notubes.com/help/rimstripfinder.aspx
It comes back with "use Giant blue strip with our custom rim strip RS0048"

Is this the Bontrager strip you were looking for, or is it a 19mm wide strip you're after?
https://www.tbe.com.au/products/bontrager-rhythm-275-inch-650b-tube/186238/
Thanks Nambra

I hadn't had any long term success with Stans rim tape but I hadn't realised there was a PXC2 specific Stans tape. The thing I like about the Bontrager rim strip is that it's non adhesive and apparently seats deeply in the rim without folding over like Stans seems to after a while. That TBE link is what I'm after although the pictures seem to show the asymmetrical version, ill contact them and have a chat first. Thanks for finding that, don't know why it didn't come up on my search?
Cheers

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
NP mate. Yeah I think that TBE link has a typo or two, it says symmetrical but the image is clearly not.

I'm a novice on the whole tubeless thing but have PXC2 rims as well so was curious as to what you were talking about. I am considering changing to tubeless, but I'm not certain that I'll benefit from doing it as I'm not so light to be able to get away with the low pressures tubeless will allow, and the only pinch flat I've had to date is climbing the kerb after crossing a bitumen road to get to my local trails - not quite F-wit thread material but I'll happily stand corrected if the consensus says otherwise.

4wdphil

Likes Bikes
NP mate. Yeah I think that TBE link has a typo or two, it says symmetrical but the image is clearly not.

I'm a novice on the whole tubeless thing but have PXC2 rims as well so was curious as to what you were talking about. I am considering changing to tubeless, but I'm not certain that I'll benefit from doing it as I'm not so light to be able to get away with the low pressures tubeless will allow, and the only pinch flat I've had to date is climbing the kerb after crossing a bitumen road to get to my local trails - not quite F-wit thread material but I'll happily stand corrected if the consensus says otherwise.
I can't vouch for the consensus but I would think that's only f- wit worthy if you weren't bunny hopping or at least trying to. Regarding the tubeless transition, don't be put off by not being able to run the low pressures of lighter riders, you'll still be able to run relatively lower pressures than with tubes ao you'll be better off, also the puncture protection isn't only from pinch flats but from all minor punctures assuming you're going to run sealant with them. The trade offs are the extra expense and extra hassle of fitting and fixing leaks if they don't seal properly. If you're looking for the least troublesome conversion then tubeless specific rims like Stans can't be beaten, sometimes other combinations will also be reliable but the odds are more in your favour with a proper tubeless system. Anyway there are hundreds of internet pages on this topic. I'll check out these rim strips and let you know what they actually are.

Nambra

...only f- wit worthy if you weren't bunny hopping or at least trying to.
I'm good then - I swear I heard guy in a passing car pissing himself, saying 'look at that idiot trying to bunny hop, what a fuckwit'.

Keen to hear how you get on and will probably end up giving tubeless a go at some stage. As you say, there's no shortage of information on the subject and it's all the people attesting to the perceived reduction in rolling resistance that has me curious - will a hack like me notice such a difference as to make it worthwhile in the longer term... It won't cost much to find out I guess.

teK--

Eats Squid
Not sure why tape isn't working for you? Those giant rims should be problem free with 25mm Stans tape (1/4 overlap at the end) and DT Swiss valves.

If you do this properly it will be lighter than rim strips.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The PCX2 rims have drain holes in a daft location (not in the rim bed) hence the issue with conventional tubeless conversion. Try finding the hole/s and plugging them first then proceed with a normal tape conversion...

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
I have the Giant PCX rims and I use the Joe's rubber rim strip with regular rim tape to cover the spoke holes. The only problem I've had is XC tyres not being able to handle Downhill abuse.
I use the normal Joe's sealant and the tyres stick to the rubber strips like shit to a blanket.

4wdphil

Likes Bikes
Not sure why tape isn't working for you? Those giant rims should be problem free with 25mm Stans tape (1/4 overlap at the end) and DT Swiss valves.

If you do this properly it will be lighter than rim strips.
27.5? Is the rim profile the same as 29er rims do you know? With or without the original rim tape?

4wdphil

Likes Bikes
What I've learnt so far

I posted this question on the MTBR forums also and there was one reply from a rider who said they had this setup and it worked well but there aren't any details as to exactly which parts were used or which rims. Perhaps the rim strips or PXC2 rim in the US are a little different.

I took the rim to our local Trek dealer and they tried the symmetrical Bontrager Rhythm rim strips on it and the strips were too wide, they suggested that Velocity tape is good, it's 22mm wide, a little wider than Stans which may help with the deep profile of the PXC-2s. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so we're waiting. I'll also try some Stans tape that I've used with Stans rims and see how it goes for comparison.

Anyway it seems this might be a dead end unless anyone else has tried it?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I posted this question on the MTBR forums also and there was one reply from a rider who said they had this setup and it worked well but there aren't any details as to exactly which parts were used or which rims. Perhaps the rim strips or PXC2 rim in the US are a little different.

I took the rim to our local Trek dealer and they tried the symmetrical Bontrager Rhythm rim strips on it and the strips were too wide, they suggested that Velocity tape is good, it's 22mm wide, a little wider than Stans which may help with the deep profile of the PXC-2s. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so we're waiting. I'll also try some Stans tape that I've used with Stans rims and see how it goes for comparison.

Anyway it seems this might be a dead end unless anyone else has tried it?
Use some Bear outdoor masking tape. $5 for 50m from Bunnings.

uploadfromtaptalk1455160566280.jpg

Nambra

Is that a PXC2 rim BK? If so, did you remove the Giant OEM rim strip before laying in the bear tape?

Boom King

Is that a PXC2 rim BK? If so, did you remove the Giant OEM rim strip before laying in the bear tape?
No, it's an MTX33. Remove all tape and apply two layers of the Norton tape. It's 25mm from memory. Have done an EX729 and an EX721 as well.

Nambra

Cheers. I see that the MTX33 has an inner bead width of 26mm, so your 25mm tape is bang on. The PXC2 is 19mm bead width from memory so the tape would be best being trimmed to be about 19-20mm wide, right?

Boom King

Cheers. I see that the MTX33 has an inner bead width of 26mm, so your 25mm tape is bang on. The PXC2 is 19mm bead width from memory so the tape would be best being trimmed to be about 19-20mm wide, right?
Wouldn't bother trimming, with the tape following the path of the rim bed it will probs be perfect. Doesn't matter if it goes up the rim wall a bit either. On the MTX33 I had to run one pass of tape up to one wall, then another pass up to the other wall as the rim bed wall to wall is around 30mm or a touch more.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't bother trimming, with the tape following the path of the rim bed it will probs be perfect. Doesn't matter if it goes up the rim wall a bit either. On the MTX33 I had to run one pass of tape up to one wall, then another pass up to the other wall as the rim bed wall to wall is around 30mm or a touch more.
Boom King speaks the truth . I have one of those Giant front wheels taped with the bear stuff as above no trimming and it seals up straight away . Not sure on your tyre but some need soap bubbles and some just pump straight up . My ardent has been on and off a few times and the last time it needed soap bubbles to pump up ( with compressor ) .

Tubeless is one of those things that scare a lot of people yet its so easy to do . We wasted half an hour of last nights ride when one of our crew got a flat and then pinched 2 spares getting them in before I took it off him and did it myself so we could get going again .

Nambra

Boom King speaks the truth . I have one of those Giant front wheels taped with the bear stuff as above no trimming and it seals up straight away . Not sure on your tyre but some need soap bubbles and some just pump straight up . My ardent has been on and off a few times and the last time it needed soap bubbles to pump up ( with compressor ) .

Tubeless is one of those things that scare a lot of people yet its so easy to do . We wasted half an hour of last nights ride when one of our crew got a flat and then pinched 2 spares getting them in before I took it off him and did it myself so we could get going again .
Cheers Boom King & Mario - I'm running the stock Nobby Nics but they are supposed to be tubeless ready so don't imagine it will be that hard. I figure if I can apply a set of frame skin protectors after 3 beers then tubeless should be a doddle.

So here's the rub though. I'm probably around 105kg loaded on the bike and have found that I need around 32-35psi on the rear for the tyre to stop feeling 'washy' during cornering - I'm sure there's a more technical term. At that pressure, I don't really have any rim strikes and have never pinch-flatted on trails which are reasonably rocky. Is tubeless really going to work for my weight with those rims and tyres?