Genetic sequencing

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Gattica has fully arrived.

I’ve very likely got a few gene mutations, specifically the MTHFR mutation. B vitamins are a huge problem for me

My doctor yesterday told me it will be about $100 for a local test just to look at the MTHFR mutation, or it’s $300 usd for full genetic sequencing from Nebula Genomics in the USA.

In twenty years of tech and scientific advancements, the full sequencing price has gone from 3 billion to $300

You get 30gb of data to download.

My doctor will work with a geneticist to interpret.

Opens Pandora’s box, we had a long chat about what the consequences can be with this knowledge. It’s clear in my mind. I am better knowing then not knowing.

Nebula.org

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
My brother got it done, the stimulus being a family history of the BRCA 1 & 2 mutations. Like you said, better to know than not to know so other risk factors can be reduced. He also got an interesting run down on likely ancestry populations, although there was nothing there that was particularly surprising. I haven't had the full sequencing done, just got the BRCA 1 & 2 test, which was free given my family history. Fortunately no mutation there for me, not so lucky for my bro!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I always wonder about the long-term implications of data like this. While I think it's incredibly valuable information, I wonder if this will become the norm in years to come - and in our highly-privatised health service how it will tie to things like health insurance. ie: Will certain individuals with unfavorable genetics become "un-insurable"? Or have limitations applied to their policies, etc...?

I think it's a good thing to get done now while you still have some control of the data. Definitely something that has massive potentials for positive effects as well, but always gets me wondering...

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I always wonder about the long-term implications of data like this. While I think it's incredibly valuable information, I wonder if this will become the norm in years to come - and in our highly-privatised how it will tie to things like health insurance. ie: Will certain individuals with unfavorable genetics become "un-insurable"? Or have limitations applied to their policies, etc...?
This is definitely something to be concerned about and possibly puts people off going through the process if they think it will negatively affect their future insurance prospects.

I think it's a good thing to get done now where you still have some control of the data. Definitely something that has massive potentials for positive effects as well, but always gets me wondering...
I'm a little in the tin foil hat camp where I wonder how they store the data, how safely and what are they really doing with it?

On the other hand, there have been cold case crimes solved by comparing against DNA data from the likes of Ancestry and finding a familial link.

Edit: Then there is the added complexity of epigenetics. So you might carry the gene but it doesn't express in you but it might have in your parents, or it might express in your kids.

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

I’ve very likely got a few gene mutations, specifically the MTHFR mutation. B vitamins are a huge problem for me

My doctor yesterday told me it will be about $100 for a local test just to look at the MTHFR mutation, or it’s $300 usd for full genetic sequencing from Nebula Genomics in the USA.

In twenty years of tech and scientific advancements, the full sequencing price has gone from 3 billion to $300

Opens Pandora’s box, we had a long chat about what the consequences can be with this knowledge. It’s clear in my mind. I am better knowing then not knowing.

Nebula.org
Glad your getting to the bottom of it after what seems like a long and frustrating process.

As an aside, it looks a lot like you are referring to the ‘MoTHerF#ckeR’ mutation with that acronym.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

Nebula.org
I hope this process provides some answers and management strategies for you.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
everyone has a few gene mutations -if it were me i'd just be getting the mthfr, it can have implications for having children, children's children in regards to a couple of conditions
- knowing the whole genome is 1 thing, knowing how all the pieces fit together, and how each little genetic change interacts with a natural/physical being is still a mystery, we still lack the knowledge to interpret most of it..
some people don't deal with the information well either -its like when 2 people get cancer -say its due to the same mutation, 1 dies, 1 survives, we often don't know why, environment = maybe attitude =sometimes, toss of a coin - as good an explanation as any

case in point -woman has cancer, had 2 young girls -fought like hell to beat it, wanted to see girls group up -gets near the magic 5yr free mark - it comes back about 3 wks shy of 5 yrs - -she dies within 10days - i guess she had no fight left, but i used to see her fortnightly, she would have given anything to be there for her girls - she wanted them to be adults before she died, didn't make it

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I always wonder about the long-term implications of data like this. While I think it's incredibly valuable information, I wonder if this will become the norm in years to come - and in our highly-privatised how it will tie to things like health insurance. ie: Will certain individuals with unfavorable genetics become "un-insurable"? Or have limitations applied to their policies, etc...?

I think it's a good thing to get done now where you still have some control of the data. Definitely something that has massive potentials for positive effects as well, but always gets me wondering...
Short answer yes. And this is already happening to some degree. In some cases overtly. Still a way away from full blown dystopia, but on our way.

Some data scientists I worked with regularly participated in melbourne business school data science competitions (our business was a sponsor).

The last couple were all about making connections between deidentified health (Medibank data sets), location (abs data sets) and shopping data (fly buys data sets).

While many insights were not overly surprising (low socio economic areas had higher proportions of shit food purchase, diabetes and heart disease), they were able to make enough interesting connections to pitch Medibank an ap that they could target to their customers in high risk groups areas that would motivate them to make better choices (food shopping, use of extras related to their risk categories etc) and offer discounts on things if targets were met etc.

Medibank rolled that out three months later to at risk groups in an attempt to reduce their overall claims.

On th3 face of it, it's positive. But the reality is that there is a possibility to identify and price accordingly, if it weren't currently against the law.

I think that will eventually change under the guise of positive motivation to make a population healthier.

Though With how blase young people are about their eroding rights to privacy, it won't be long before those genetic data sets will be available (If not already) to private corporations. First as deidentified sets, then as fully identifiable data if they don't figure out how to make the ID connections themselves in the mean time.

Though businesses dont really need to know your name to make money from you. They just need to know how your personality/profile type is likely to react or behave to certain inputs/stimulus and they turn the dial for that whole population. That's already happening at Facebook and Google.

Long story short, you can worry about it but there is jack shit you can do about it. The horse has bolted.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Long story short, you can worry about it but there is jack shit you can do about it. The horse has bolted.
Oh I realise, at the moment they at leasat pretend you have some privacy - I just wonder how long it'll be until it's public-known/"accepted". Though like you say - probably not long... Maybe we should take out copyright on individual genetics, so that we retain "ownership" of ourselves... :p

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I was going to do this a few years ago. Was somthing like $500 and updates for 10 years or something like that. Problem was my mate did it and he barely got anything because something about the asian gene pool not well represented enough in some areas. Strange given how any chinese there are (we are both Chinese lol).

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Isn't that a funny idea....copyrighting your own genetics. Maybe one day you will be able to opt out cross platforms based on your genetic code :p Sort of like a do not call register that travels with you for life across numbers, platforms etc.

Im kinda scared of what it means for us in general. You can see regimes like china (with their already scary social credit system and top notch surveillance capabilities) being able to commit further human rights abuses. Imagine a world where your genetic code could be scanned apon entry anywhere and cross referenced across a database in a split second. "Sorry sir, you cant upsize that meal, our computer says you are at high risk of heart attack. We insist you have the salad instead, sir. no cookies"

BUt there would be zero crime after a short period! wouldnt that be amazing? all the crims would be rounded up ! Hmmmm... not ripe for abuse at all

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I was going to do this a few years ago. Was somthing like $500 and updates for 10 years or something like that. Problem was my mate did it and he barely got anything because something about the asian gene pool not well represented enough in some areas. Strange given how any chinese there are (we are both Chinese lol).
Smart. The large chinese population are probably not willing to give up genetic information. They know what the future holds :p

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Smart. The large chinese population are probably not willing to give up genetic information. They know what the future holds :p
I was thinking on one hand asians are shit scared of putting their bodies on the line. But on the flipside, I probably just need to find a Chinese version of the service lol.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I was thinking on one hand asians are shit scared of putting their bodies on the line. But on the flipside, I probably just need to find a Chinese version of the service lol.
pretty sure if you contact the CCP direct, they'd be happy to take your genetic material for their database.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thanks for the well wishes people. The meds and supplements I’m on, just to function in everyday life, if a Wada sanctioned athlete was to take my blood, the positive test results would look like this:

Daniel, in typical fashion you’ve missed the point. My options were to get a DNA test looking at 6 genes from a local pathology, OR send my sample to the USA for the entire 6,000,000,000 positions to be read.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The safety of data, and potential abuse and misuse of this knowledge is frightening with the LNP in power with such disdain for the people. The Gattica movie is a great insight to a dystopian future where the individual really gets trodden on.

I will be using this genetic service with faked contact details and either a prepaid credit card or a burner Paypal account.

What name should I use for the account?

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
The safety of data, and potential abuse and misuse of this knowledge is frightening with a LNP in power with such disdain for the people. The Gattica movie is a great insight to a dystopian future where the individual really gets trodden on.

I will be using this genetic service with faked contact details and either a prepaid credit card or a burner Paypal account.

What name should I use for the account?
Kayser Soze for sure

... or Vincent Freeman

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Isn't that a funny idea....copyrighting your own genetics. Maybe one day you will be able to opt out cross platforms based on your genetic code :p Sort of like a do not call register that travels with you for life across numbers, platforms etc.
be careful, one well known commercial group who advertise such things as genetic tests, just like FB, insta snapchat, they own your data if you get a test with them, not you