Full Fat or HiLo: an eeb conundrum

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha. I know the feeling.
I'm currently looking at the classifieds to see if there are any cheap ones going
It's a shame you're not after the approved Rotorburn frame size. A mate of mine is selling his Rise, to say it's in excellent condition is an understatement.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Price isn't bad but the spec is. RS 35s?
There's a brand new Fuel EX-e 9.8 XT locally thats going for 11k thats piqued my interest, as well as a Gen 1 Levo SL with upgraded everything for 9.5k that I also want to look at, provided I can scrape some cash together

Rorschach

It's a shame you're not after the approved Rotorburn frame size. A mate of mine is selling his Rise, to say it's in excellent condition is an understatement.
Hmm. I could almost ride an XL Banshee given I put a 60mm stem on my large so it's a potential.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Price isn't bad but the spec is. RS 35s?
There's a brand new Fuel EX-e 9.8 XT locally thats going for 11k thats piqued my interest, as well as a Gen 1 Levo SL with upgraded everything for 9.5k that I also want to look at, provided I can scrape some cash together
I didn't spot that, that's not so good

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
They are all (FF vs FF SL vs SL) very close to the same weight once you put decent tyres, suspension, pedals and water bottle on them so don’t be too concerned with weight.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm. I could almost ride an XL Banshee given I put a 60mm stem on my large so it's a potential.
Take a look at the geo... He's babied it and used to run a bike shop so has all the tools, know how and mechanical sympathy one could hope for. Plus multiple bikes, so it's lead a gentle life.

Rorschach

Take a look at the geo... He's babied it and used to run a bike shop so has all the tools, know how and mechanical sympathy one could hope for. Plus multiple bikes, so it's lead a gentle life.
Just checked and it looks like an XL rise is quite a bit bigger than a L Prime v3, not sure if I could make it work

1685691810637.png

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're undecided between full fat and skim bikes I reckon the trance fits the bill. Full power on hand if you want, can have a range extender, 5kg lighter than most full fats. The rest fall either side.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if you're a fat bastard like me and many others, be sure to check the maximum permissable load rating (bike weight plus you and gear) of the bike before you drop your hard earned..you may be pushing the motor and electronics outside of its design capacity, which will lead to overload and possible burnout and may void your warranty(you know, that thing where clever lawers try to fuck you over with that GOTCHA moment!)..when I purchased mine, Giant had the highest at 156kg, so with a 23kg bike, that gives you 133kegs to play with from standard...start fitting coil shocks, E rated tyres, extra electronicals like lights and stuff, all this needs to be considered
BigS levo's were pretty renowned for burning out their motors, not sure if much has changed, but don't be that guy!
A BigS Levo SL, is probably left to the SL rider, as calorie enhancements may push that rating well into the red, a Kenevo on the other hand may suit...do your research not your dough!

Rorschach

if you're a fat bastard like me and many others, be sure to check the maximum permissable load rating (bike weight plus you and gear) of the bike before you drop your hard earned..you may be pushing the motor and electronics outside of its design capacity, which will lead to overload and possible burnout and may void your warranty(you know, that thing where clever lawers try to fuck you over with that GOTCHA moment!)..when I purchased mine, Giant had the highest at 156kg, so with a 23kg bike, that gives you 133kegs to play with from standard...start fitting coil shocks, E rated tyres, extra electronicals like lights and stuff, all this needs to be considered
BigS levo's were pretty renowned for burning out their motors, not sure if much has changed, but don't be that guy!
A BigS Levo SL, is probably left to the SL rider, as calorie enhancements may push that rating well into the red, a Kenevo on the other hand may suit...do your research not your dough!
I did look at weight limits. 136kg on both the Levo and Levo SL so I should be fine.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
As there is no bottom bracket, I'd doubt it.
About a year ago I built my first Pinion gearbox bike, I have a template parts list that I usually work through to ensure that I've ordered everything when building up a new frame. A few weeks out from the frame arriving I was stressing because I thought that I'd forgotten to order a bottom bracket. Anyway I guess that I should have clarified my post to say something like these adapters but to suit an ebike.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I did look at weight limits. 136kg on both the Levo and Levo SL so I should be fine.
131kgs is the structural limit, so you don't snap the head tube off or bend the chainstays...from what I have found, max payload on the 2022 Levo pro and S-works Levo (rider+gear) is 109kgs!, this limit is based on the electrical load on the motor and processer...excessive weight will draw excessive current and lead to overheating issues and eventually burnout of the motor, the circuit board or both.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’ve no personal experience with the TQ motors in the Treks yet, but ebike motor repairers I speak to in the EU were both saying they had heard many horror stories about the TQ’s already.

My advice for a full fat levo, either treat it like a bmw and drop like a hot potato a few months before warranty is up, or be prepared for dramas with Brose motors.

I’m close, real close to launching the eMotor repair business, so my conflict of interest is high here. Poodle will help me navigate the PWC esque level of conflict of interest here I’m sure.

Rorschach

131kgs is the structural limit, so you don't snap the head tube off or bend the chainstays...from what I have found, max payload on the 2022 Levo pro and S-works Levo (rider+gear) is 109kgs!, this limit is based on the electrical load on the motor and processer...excessive weight will draw excessive current and lead to overheating issues and eventually burnout of the motor, the circuit board or both.
I figure if Nrml Mtbr on the ‘gram can ride and jump them with no issues I reckon I’ll be right

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I figure if Nrml Mtbr on the ‘gram can ride and jump them with no issues I reckon I’ll be right
He has a huge social media following to fund a new bike if he snaps his. Do you have the money to do the same?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I’ve no personal experience with the TQ motors in the Treks yet, but ebike motor repairers I speak to in the EU were both saying they had heard many horror stories about the TQ’s already.

My advice for a full fat levo, either treat it like a bmw and drop like a hot potato a few months before warranty is up, or be prepared for dramas with Brose motors.

I’m close, real close to launching the eMotor repair business, so my conflict of interest is high here. Poodle will help me navigate the PWC esque level of conflict of interest here I’m sure.
Like any new product, let the early adopters take the risk and jump on the bandwagon once it's proven. :p

Clocked over 4,000km on my Levo SL now and it's still going strong. I did have a charger die on me though.
1685917377050.png

Rorschach

He has a huge social media following to fund a new bike if he snaps his. Do you have the money to do the same?
I don’t huck, and I’d be lucky if my wheels get two feet off the ground, I’m willing to take the chance