Front end upgrades

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Since New Bike Time(TM) is a way off for me, I'm looking at upgrading the front end while I have the fork in being serviced. Smashpot feels like over capitalising and won't be able to get one before the fork gets done on the 25th Sept, so what can I do to make my 2015 Pike 160mm Solo Air RC 27.5 more plusher? I'm thnking the only realistic thing would be a Luftkappe, because they are available and will give some improvement.

Also considering a Works Angle Headset, I'm guessing my bike is ZS44-EC49 but I'm sure the hive mind can confirm.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Since New Bike Time(TM) is a way off for me, I'm looking at upgrading the front end while I have the fork in being serviced. Smashpot feels like over capitalising and won't be able to get one before the fork gets done on the 25th Sept, so what can I do to make my 2015 Pike 160mm Solo Air RC 27.5 more plusher? I'm thnking the only realistic thing would be a Luftkappe, because they are available and will give some improvement.

Also considering a Works Angle Headset, I'm guessing my bike is ZS44-EC49 but I'm sure the hive mind can confirm.
I'll endorse the Luftkappe if you are just looking for some extra initial sensitivity! I had one in a Fox34 and am now getting one fitted to my Fox36. Cheap upgrade and works well I think. Otherwise did @kten sell his Smashpot setup he had for sale on here?

moorey

call me Mia
Based on a case study of 1..
My Luftcappe in lyriks doesn't really feel different to non luftcappe set. (both same year RCT3's)
1deg angleset feels fantastic on the Suppressor.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I did both Luftkappe and the Works angleset to my V1.0 5010, so very similar to your Bronson. The angleset was particularly good as it also steepens the SA up a touch and extends the wheelbase rather than just compressing the linkage like offset bushes, really made a difference to the handling. Yes the headset spec is ZS44 EC49. The Luftkappe I liked in my 140mm Pike, but when I transferred it to a 170mm Lyrik I found it too progressive, so it might not be the best option for the 160mm Pike - could try one of the new Debonair springs instead, or consider a Charger 2/2.1 damper upgrade (though more costly).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Buy some lube, slicko and a seal driver and service the lowers yourself.
Do it regularly and the forks will feel better.
Angleset FTW. Slacken that puppy out!

moorey

call me Mia
Shoot me a PM this evening @Scotty T and I'll have a rummage around the garage and see if I've still got an angleset kicking around you can have.
I've fitted the 1 deg, had the 1.5 deg planned for another bike soon, but the 2 deg is in all honesty, more than I'm ever likely to fit to anything if it is of any use to others in need. I THINK I managed to sort the jumbled bag into their correct sets....at least the 1 deg hasn't burst into flames yet.
That all assumes that @Scotty T's head tube is the right length.

PJO

in me vL comy

What about trying a Debonair spring. I recently whacked one in my 2017 pike and it feels a bit softer in the initial stroke.
Cheap at about $70

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've fitted the 1 deg, had the 1.5 deg planned for another bike soon, but the 2 deg is in all honesty, more than I'm ever likely to fit to anything if it is of any use to others in need. I THINK I managed to sort the jumbled bag into their correct sets....at least the 1 deg hasn't burst into flames yet.
That all assumes that @Scotty T's head tube is the right length.
Not same IIRC - the ones you have now are EC44/ZS56 from memory - @Scotty T will need EC44/EC49 (Can probably run ZS44 top cup technically, but I think the angle set kits are ext. cup).

gippyz

Likes Dirt
What about trying a Debonair spring. I recently whacked one in my 2017 pike and it feels a bit softer in the initial stroke.
Cheap at about $70
Highly recommend this as well. Did this on my Lyrik and it made an improvement - even to someone like me who is rather insensitive to fork feel :p

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Cheap as chips Debonair spring and up the travel 10mm while you're at it.
+ Service should have it running well.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Cool thanks all. Debonair is definitely in the budget so will grab one. I think Charger is also overcapitalising for my needs, LSC is generally not a problem for me, and as far as I can tell that's the major difference?

The fork is sitting about 20% into the travel so will get done whatever the expert says needs doing and get it tuned for me with tokens etc. Taking it to Fixed by Ryan on recommendation, and he's really close by. I'm happy to pay for it to have basic servicing more often than 4 years/2000km so will make sure I do that in future, might consider tool and DIY but generally rather someone who is good at it doing it.

I definitely needs ZS on the top, the fork is not long enough for EC even if it was able to fit, so ZS44-EC49 with head tube length of 120mm, @beeb if you don't have that combo let me know as MTBD has them in stock and $129 is pretty cheap.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Here you go Scott - theyre piss easy DIY forks.

Reactions: PJO

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I'll endorse the Luftkappe if you are just looking for some extra initial sensitivity! I had one in a Fox34 and am now getting one fitted to my Fox36. Cheap upgrade and works well I think. Otherwise did @kten sell his Smashpot setup he had for sale on here?
Mine is only parts to suit a Fox 36, sorry mate.

I vote to just service it yourself really regularly until you can buy a Mezzer.