From the Blue Skye to the Deep Green Sea - Transition Spur

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If you need to bleed you will need the correct fitting for calliper and master. No banjo with speed lock at calliper. You can but the speed lock for master end as well but no need.
SRAM screw fittings ? Or completely different ?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah I had the fittings in my EZ kit. Also I've had some luck doing a Shimano bubble bleed to remove bubbles in the lever end with a Shimano cup.

ozzybmx

Not familiar with SRAM. If you have a large EZ MTB kit they are included in those as well(the yellow kits).
Hmmm... they look very like the old SRAM before they went to bleeding edge, same one used to bleed Reverbs.

I'll have a look.

Cheers

ozzybmx

That is it ! Final piece fitted today, 258g an end (before cutting the hoses to length) Formula Cura brakes.

The Deore M6120 Quad pistons that came off were 334g and 342g so nearly 200g saved in brakes, the other drop was the 260g Ti Spindle CHIME ATAC pedals.

Might swap the Deore 12spd shifter for an XT sometime in the future if one becomes available and a decent price.

Not much left of the original bike, only the frame, forks, shock, dropper and shifter.

Final resting weight is 11.3kg on the head.

Last edited:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Great job, bike looks fabulous. Although the shed is wonky AF.

Curious if you ever got a frame only weight for the Spur? Also curious if you think this was cost effective in the end to buy the complete bike given all the part changes? And WTF are these CHIME pedals?

ozzybmx

Great job, bike looks fabulous. Although the shed is wonky AF.

Curious if you ever got a frame only weight for the Spur? Also curious if you think this was cost effective in the end to buy the complete bike given all the part changes? And WTF are these CHIME pedals?
The original Deore bike cost me $6999, the GX level bike was $8999 and the X0 was $11999. I reckon its cost me just over 10K to build it this way and its lighter and has arguably better parts than the 12K X0 model.

The X0 does have the Ultimate fork and shock... its only a damper upgrade difference from Select+ to the race-day damper.

Chinese Time ATAC rip-offs
I have rode TIME pedals for nearly 15yrs now and my boys ride them too now. We must have 15-20 sets pedals between us.

Aliexpress has a set of rip off Ti XC12 for $100... I grabbed a set to see how they were, cant find any difference to the XC8 carbons. I have a pair of XC8's with a bent spindle so worst scenario, I get a set of Ti spindles to rebuild the XC8's... and a set of cleats.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Interesting, thanks for the insight. I've taken a leaf out of your book and bought a complete bike because I've had so much trouble tracking down frame only options that will be available in the next 6 months.....

ozzybmx

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I've taken a leaf out of your book and bought a complete bike because I've had so much trouble tracking down frame only options that will be available in the next 6 months.....
To be honest, I didn't have a plan. I thought I would like a Spur but didn't really have time to think when they appeared on the website.

In reflection afterwards (I already posted on here somewhere), the Deore Spur I bought was $6999, the frame only option was $5099, I got the fork and dropper also, so about $6500 worth of what I needed anyway, the rest of the bike cost $499.
My boys have grabbed the derailleur and brakes, I have spare wheels, cassette, saddle, bars, stem, bb, crankset ect... though have a home for some of them too.
It actually worked out the most cost effective way as I got to ride it from day one and change the parts as they became available.

Not sure if many other manufacturers price a frame only option close to a full build. Yeti certainly do not with their 11k GX builds :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
To be honest, I didn't have a plan. I thought I would like a Spur but didn't really have time to think when they appeared on the website.

In reflection afterwards (I already posted on here somewhere), the Deore Spur I bought was $6999, the frame only option was $5099, I got the fork and dropper also, so about $6500 worth of what I needed anyway, the rest of the bike cost $499.
My boys have grabbed the derailleur and brakes, I have spare wheels, cassette, saddle, bars, stem, bb, crankset ect... though have a home for some of them too.
It actually worked out the most cost effective way as I got to ride it from day one and change the parts as they became available.

Not sure if many other manufacturers price a frame only option close to a full build. Yeti certainly do not with their 11k GX builds :)
Yep, a lot of times GT run out models are a lot cheaper than buying a frame only option.

ozzybmx

So 20km on the new brakes, any good. #stravastalking #isitstalking
Very happy so far.

The reach was at full extension and I couldn't be bothered dismantling my spares pack to bring it the lever closer, modulation starts from when the lever is pulled which is a great new feel compared to the bit of slack on Shimanos.

Now got the lever adjusted in and the calipers centred.

The hose shortening was a breeze and all the bits were included.

Great price and weight at $300 a set.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Very happy so far.

The reach was at full extension and I couldn't be bothered dismantling my spares pack to bring it the lever closer, modulation starts from when the lever is pulled which is a great new feel compared to the bit of slack on Shimanos.

Now got the lever adjusted in and the calipers centred.

The hose shortening was a breeze and all the bits were included.

Great price and weight at $300 a set.
Nice, so many brake choices now and all seem to be good. So bike complete or still some tweaks to go?

ozzybmx

Nice, so many brake choices now and all seem to be good. So bike complete or still some tweaks to go?
Done ! Not fussed about the Deore shifter, it feels pretty much the same as the XT without the rubberised paddles and multi upshift.

My goal was to get it to the $15K AXS Spur weight of 11.2kg without pedals, its well down there without sacrificing ability. Should be 11.04kg without the 260g pedals so well happy.

Running semi XC tyres too, will swap the front for a Martello or Agarro when stock arrives. Still 750g 2.35 Barzos fitted so not lightweight.

shanno89

Likes Dirt
How's the Spur going? Do you still have it? Any updates?

I'm looking at getting one early next year maybe. Hopefully by then they might be available!