Frame painting... (or frame wrapping?)

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
So, I'm thinking about options for a new bike but I hate the frame paint jobs. I've been wondering about buying a new bike and painting the frame. Is it really this easy?

How would it differ on a carbon frame?
Do you have to strip the old paint or can you just paint over it?
If you strip the old paint on carbon I presume you void the warranty, but if you just paint over the old paint do you keep the warranty?
If you can just paint over the old paint, do you have to sand it to take the shine off?

Ultimately, if I try this on a brand new frame with a spray can, am I booking an express ticket to the fuckwit thread?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah if you're buying a new frame I'd go frame wrap. Would be miles cheaper than a respray, and you'd still have a warranty at the end of it.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Great idea, I didn't even know frame wrap was a thing. I thought it was only for clear protective purposes.

Has anyone actually done this to their bike? Got any photos?

Experiences with this product?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Just get a quote from an automotive wrap joint
Yeah, would expect it'd be a fair whack cheaper than most bike painters too.

@k3n!f try the Tint-a-Car mob down in Mornington(?) - they do a lot of RideWrap-type protective wraps, I'm sure they could hook up a cosmetic wrap too.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Great idea, I didn't even know frame wrap was a thing. I thought it was only for clear protective purposes.

Has anyone actually done this to their bike? Got any photos?

Experiences with this product?

Yeah I used that to change the color of my wife's bike. She didn't want a black frame, was adamant on a blue one but I couldn't find one anywhere (one that I wanted to ride anyway lol) so I used this wrap. Easy enough to apply and has held up very well, even on edges around bends.

Attachments

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah I used that to change the color of my wife's bike. She didn't want a black frame, was adamant on a blue one but I couldn't find one anywhere (one that I wanted to ride anyway lol) so I used this wrap. Easy enough to apply and has held up very well, even on edges around bends.
Cool, any more photos?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Following this with interest. I need to work out how to change some bronze forks to metallic silver.
I watched a video on YT of a guy wrapping forks and it was a disaster, he seemed happy with it though.... Skip to 5:40 to see the seamless application on the bridge.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Following this with interest. I need to work out how to change some bronze forks to metallic silver.
I watched a video on YT of a guy wrapping forks and it was a disaster, he seemed happy with it though.... Skip to 5:40 to see the seamless application on the bridge.
"It's not perfect" - it's not very good either!

I'd be inclined to spray them or get them dipped if possible.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I wrapped my son's hotrock with a galaxy print - he loves it!

It was really quite easy to do. Bear in mind that there will be lots of spots of the original fame colour poking through.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I forgot to add before - years ago I spray painted some lyrics. 3 coats. No matter how careful I was I got paint runs. But the bit that looked the worst was the crown, where the stantions joined. Def wouldn't do it again.