FR560 or something else.

PJO

in me vL comy
We'll it didn't take long. The eldest boy has managed to put some serious dings in the DT E532 rear rim that I recently built, only a couple of months ago!
It is going to need replacing soon.
What's the consensus on something tougher, do I just get the FR560 or is there another rim I should consider?
Weight is not a concern, the E532 was 580g (27.5), just needs to withstand serious abuse.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I only got a few rides out of an E532 before it was shaped like a stop sign. Seemed to be made out of butter.
Replaced with an EX511 and seems to be holding up ok. Already got a couple of small flat spots in it but they were probably my fault.

Reactions: PJO

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I would consider carbon in that scenario. They aren’t bulletproof but the warranty offered by most manufacturers means that you can ding it up pretty well and get another to replace it.

My new wheel was supposed to be an EX511 but stock was nil, so I went with an FR560. Noticeable difference over the 481 it replaced? Not to me.

clockworked

Like an orange
I went through 2 rims in 2 months on my ebike. Some non-series dtswiss 28 hole one, and a race face arc 28 hole.

Switched that for a 32 hole ex471 (because world cup racers like them) and it's been dead straight for months. I put an insert in there too though. I reckon the narrow width helps the insert and tyre protect the rim a little more

PJO

in me vL comy
I only got a few rides out of an E532 before it was shaped like a stop sign. Seemed to be made out of butter.
Replaced with an EX511 and seems to be holding up ok. Already got a couple of small flat spots in it but they were probably my fault.
I just had a closer look. He has hit it hard enough that three spokes are no longer holding any tension.
Funny that the E532 is supposed to be DTs budget enduro rim.

PJO

in me vL comy
I would consider carbon in that scenario. They aren’t bulletproof but the warranty offered by most manufacturers means that you can ding it up pretty well and get another to replace it.

My new wheel was supposed to be an EX511 but stock was nil, so I went with an FR560. Noticeable difference over the 481 it replaced? Not to me.
Think the FR560 is where I'll end up, just wondering if I was missing something tougher.

PJO

in me vL comy
Switched that for a 32 hole ex471 (because world cup racers like them) and it's been dead straight for months. I put an insert in there too though. I reckon the narrow width helps the insert and tyre protect the rim a little more
Yeah this could be right, but he wants to run 2.6" tyres so 25mm width is probably on the small side.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I’ll always run a fr560 now. I got one on a 350 hub rear from the Raild guys in Sydney. I’ve put between 1-2000km on it. From Pro-line laps at Barecreek, Thredbo Downhill laps including 11 full runs the first day I had it, now with the Tassie move I’ve done many Derby days and Juggernaut shuttles etc.
Not once have I had to touch the wheel ever. It’s dead straight as well. I weigh 85kg and for reference I have 40th fastest time on Air-ya-garn on good ol Strava.
I run 28-30 psi and DD casing MinionDHF with Nukeproof rim protection which isn’t the toughest. I’ve broken many wheels prior.
So it’s a testament to both Raild wheels and the DtSwiss products they use. FR560 for the win!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ll always run a fr560 now. I got one on a 350 hub rear from the Raild guys in Sydney. I’ve put between 1-2000km on it. From Pro-line laps at Barecreek, Thredbo Downhill laps including 11 full runs the first day I had it, now with the Tassie move I’ve done many Derby days and Juggernaut shuttles etc.
Not once have I had to touch the wheel ever. It’s dead straight as well. I weigh 85kg and for reference I have 40th fastest time on Air-ya-garn on good ol Strava.
I run 28-30 psi and DD casing MinionDHF with Nukeproof rim protection which isn’t the toughest. I’ve broken many wheels prior.
So it’s a testament to both Raild wheels and the DtSwiss products they use. FR560 for the win!
Second all of this wholeheartedly. Plus you can pretty much get em everywhere so if you are travelling you’ll be able to get one if you do happen to bust one.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
+1 for 560 and Insert (I use Rimpact Pro). Also came from E532s that I used to chew through (more my fault than the rim)

PJO

in me vL comy
+1 for 560 and Insert (I use Rimpact Pro). Also came from E532s that I used to chew through (more my fault than the rim)
Yep FR560 has arrived will be laced to the hub as soon as I get a chance.
Will be putting the Cushcore back in and giving him a lecture about checking tyre pressures.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
What casing tyres is he running @PJO ? Also get him running 25-28 psi with a double down / supergravity casing, that’ll stop any future dings.

PJO

in me vL comy
What casing tyres is he running @PJO ? Also get him running 25-28 psi with a double down / supergravity casing, that’ll stop any future dings.
Only exo, he weighs a bit over 60kg, running 2.6" tyres.
This is on a aggressive hardtail, Ragley Mmmbop, which he is absolutely loving coming off an old school trail dually.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Only exo, he weighs a bit over 60kg, running 2.6" tyres.
This is on a aggressive hardtail, Ragley Mmmbop, which he is absolutely loving coming off an old school trail dually.
Hardtail ahh. I remember the hardtail class in Downhill. Those mad units who destroyed rear wheels so often

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yep FR560 has arrived will be laced to the hub as soon as I get a chance.
Will be putting the Cushcore back in and giving him a lecture about checking tyre pressures.
Missed this thread.

Welcome to the club of bike killing kids, a product you nurtured and created :p

I'm still lecturing mine 10-15 rims or wheels later. I set my youngest (15yr old) a tyre pressure of 30psi and if he slides out the door without checking it, I hope its still high 20's.

My new policy is dont rush to fix them and make them pay for the rims themselves.

Still means a 2 hour tyre, spoke swap, tension, true, retape and refit tyre every bloody time.

He is also running 17euro ($30) Schwalbe Big Betty Bike Park tyres lately, very soft and grippy compound but wear out quicker than he can kill the sidewall.

I wouldn't even waste my time fitting an insert, they would come back with a slashed sidewall in no time.

Just ordered another 4 from Bike24 two days ago.

They are 1500g and have a wire bead, they also set up tubeless really easily.

PJO

in me vL comy
Hardtail ahh. I remember the hardtail class in Downhill. Those mad units who destroyed rear wheels so often
Yeah. I may regret that but while he is still growing it was a cheaper option than to try and find a newer geo dually along the current market.

PJO

in me vL comy
My new policy is dont rush to fix them and make them pay for the rims themselves.
Oh yes this is the first and last replacement I'm buying him. He rode the 26' Flow mk3s without issue on my old trance but the Ragley goes faster than that old bike and it's got no rear give.
He can buy his own rim next time!