Fox 36 fork service

scblack

Leucocholic
I have a Fox 36 fork on my Intense, which is very due a service. I'm close to sending it off to TBSM who do the basic service plus cartridge service for $315.

How easy would the job be for me, and save some money? Or as I've never touched a Fox fork, am I better to just hand it over?

Advice please.

Intense 1.jpg

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I cant help with the service mate, but how does it conpare to the pike? Tbsm have a sale on atm and I'm pretty close to pulling the pin on one for my scout. 150mm goodness, more clicky things to play with and hopefully a stiffer chassis.

Also interested to see how easy serviceable they are.

Edit: your intense is awesome

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bike woody!

The cartridge service is the tricky part...I had a fresh oil and seals service at a local bike shop for just over $100. Forks felt like new again.

As for the 36 vs Pike, I'm running a 36 and Lyric. Both 160mm travel and 20mm axle. The 36 feels stiffer and has a lot more external tuneability.

scblack

Leucocholic
I just spoke Aaron at TBSM, I don't need to bother with cartridge service, so for their $200 service I'll be dropping it off tomorrow.

Ultra Lord, I have not ridden a Pike so have no comparison sorry. Don't Pikes only go to 160mm, the Fox36 is 180mm. The 36 is solid as, very happy with it.

Ultra Lord

so stiffer, more clicks and prettier. Things ain't looking too good for my wallet.
Thats not too bad for a service either.
Interesting to read about the 36 V lyric.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Servicing the lowers is simple, servicing the damper is not so simple. If it's an earlier Fit damper an oil change and bleed is relativrly simple. If it's a Fit 4 damper with trail adjust, they are a pain in the arse to do an oil change.

My advice: Wait till the damper plays up or craps itself before touching it.

BT180

Max Pfaff
If you're near the Northern Beaches I can put you in contact with a fork servicing gun (Cannonshockworks).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
so stiffer, more clicks and prettier. Things ain't looking too good for my wallet.
Thats not too bad for a service either.
Interesting to read about the 36 V lyric.
I've had 6 sets of 36s and 5 of the lyrics over the years, a few different models across each range. Both have made me very happy, both have had issues that hurt my feelings. If you don't mind needing to service your forks a the time, the fox is a better feeling fork.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Servicing the lowers is simple, servicing the damper is not so simple. If it's an earlier Fit damper an oil change and bleed is relativrly simple. If it's a Fit 4 damper with trail adjust, they are a pain in the arse to do an oil change.

My advice: Wait till the damper plays up or craps itself before touching it.
+1 to this. If your going to do it yourself, buy the seal install tool as well. New flangeless ones are a cunt to get in without the proper tool.

Other option would be to do the lowers service and air spring yourself, send just the damper off to get done. But as Chris says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 to this. If your going to do it yourself, buy the seal install tool as well. New flangeless ones are a cunt to get in without the proper tool.

Other option would be to do the lowers service and air spring yourself, send just the damper off to get done. But as Chris says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
No disrespect to TBSM or any other shop offering in house fork servicing; however if you consider your lowers should have thr oil changed every 50 hours or so it gets pretty expensive. If you have a bike workstand, then sll you need is a decent set of allen keys and a few specialty tools such as a seal driver, a flangeless 6 point socket, a soft face hammer and perhaps a damper removal tool. Cyclinic have these tools available online (excluding the hammer) and all up would cost perhaps $200.

Ultra Lord

50hrs? Jesus thats almost as bad as my ktm.
I knew they required abit more maintenance than rockshow but damn. Might wait for dvo to be back in stock on mountain bikes direct.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
50hrs? Jesus thats almost as bad as my ktm.
I knew they required abit more maintenance than rockshow but damn. Might wait for dvo to be back in stock on mountain bikes direct.
They all use the same seal material and they all use similar oils. Fox says 30hrs I think, and RS say 50. In reality you could go 100 anf it would make sfa difference!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You just want to protect those stanchions! I would even drop the lowers on a brand new fork to check there is the correct amount of oil in there.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's good to know. Had my 36 over a year without a service! :behindsofa:
Its a bit of overkill. Just watch the seals. When they dry out, start to stick, leave dirty marks, look fucked, leak...and so on, it's time to move. The build up of yuck can get to the point of damaging the coating.

It doesn't hurt to give them a squirter of silicone every now and then either.

Or just get Marzocchi and ride for life. One of my gang went many years without servicing his old 888s, and even then it was only because he was selling the bike.

BT180

Max Pfaff
^^ I do wipe the stanchions down after every ride. But yeah, I really do want to book it in for a service, even if it is just to make sure the oil is all good.

teK--

Eats Squid
You just want to protect those stanchions! I would even drop the lowers on a brand new fork to check there is the correct amount of oil in there.
After first 10 hours I always drop the lowers and change oil to remove all micro particles from the bedding in process.

If you wait until the fork is sticky or wipers leaving streaks on the stanchions then damage has already started to be caused.