[FOUND]: Shimano SLX FH-M678 / FH-M788 / FH-M828 Rear Hub NDS Cone

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Item: Shimano FH-M678 Rear Hub Cone
Price range/Willing to Pay: Fair price + postage
Extra Info: Needed to replace a shagged cone

Second hand wheel with an SLX FH-678 hub (142x12) - the cone has been done up too tight and the ball bearings have mangled the bearing surface. Fortunately the inner race in the hub shell is undamaged so if I can find a new cone that's not buggered I can resurrect the wheel.

It looks like the same cone is used on the XT & Saint hubs of the same vintage (only the lock nut changes) and many of the 12mm rear axle Shimano hubs eg. M788, M8010 etc. Looking for OE part Y3TL98030, Y3TH98030 or Y3TP98030. It appears that SJS Cycles in the UK has them, but £48 shipping for a £14 part is a bit ridiculous.

Anyone got one rolling around in their spares bin or know of a good local bike shop that might have one?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I was going to suggest them to you but they showed nill stock on their site.
You’d be right... he did however have the complete axle kit so it cost a bit more than it should have to source what I needed. Shimano has zero stock of cones at present so it was the only short term option. Getting the lad’s bike back in action and being out on the dirt with him yesterday quickly made the extra expense a distant memory.