WA Found Fork fluids

ausdb

Being who he is
Item: 5w and 15w fork fluids for Rockshox
Price range/Willing to Pay: Less than buying a whole litre bottle
Extra Info:
I've got two 32mm rockshox forks with motion control dampers to service. Just wondering if anyone in Perth has any big bottles of fluid they wouldn't mind selling some? I trying to downsize things so trying to minimise the number of bottles on the shelf in the shed, but also hate paying stupid money for small amounts.
Happy to trade Shimano brake fluid if anyone needs some.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Item: 5w and 15w fork fluids for Rockshox
Price range/Willing to Pay: Less than buying a whole litre bottle
Extra Info:

I've got two 32mm rockshox forks with motion control dampers to service. Just wondering if anyone in Perth has any big bottles of fluid they wouldn't mind selling some? I trying to downsize things so trying to minimise the number of bottles on the shelf in the shed, but also hate paying stupid money for small amounts.
Happy to trade Shimano brake fluid if anyone needs some.
I’ll check what I’ve got tonight. Bought a decent amount from mxstore a while ago but not sure how much is left after my botchery on an old set of Recons.

ausdb

Being who he is
I’ll check what I’ve got tonight. Bought a decent amount from mxstore a while ago but not sure how much is left after my botchery on an old set of Recons.
Ta the boys Reba's are going to get the same!
@SummitFever does it need to be synthetic? I'm pretty sure I've got engine oil but I've been blessed with a company vehicle for years and haven't bought oil so it's most likely non synthetic.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I don't think it needs to be synthetic. The trick is really just to maintain the forks sufficiently often that there is no dirt migration past the seals. The seal lips should be packed with silicon grease and this will capture any dirt that makes it past the seal's top lip and stop it from entering the fork. If you see dirt getting past the grease then you need to do a lower service more frequently.

ausdb

Being who he is
Ok, @SummitFever I noticed on your FAQ page you're a guru on RS 32mm forks Do you know if the bushings in 2008 Reba's can be tapped down into the lowers to tighten them up?

Last edited:

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Second the Mobil 1 for bath lube. I have used it twice now on my Diamonds and it shits on all the other Oils I have tried.

I have tried the recommended weight 7.5 W Silkoline RSF Suspension oil, 10W sus oil, 30W Gear Oil, Fox 10W Sus Oil, and so far have had the smoothest feel and longest lasting plush feel from the Mobil 1 5W-50

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I was going to get the Torco / RSF as a Fox green replacement when needed.
Might have to give synthetic motor oil a try one day. I always have some Penrite HPR 5-40W left over after an oil change.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Ok, @SummitFever I noticed on your FAQ page you're a guru on RS 32mm forks Do you know if the bushings in 2008 Reba's can be tapped down into the lowers to tighten them up?
They can be, but they are also replaceable. The upper bushings are pretty easy to replace with minimal special tools and are typically the ones that wear. I made a bushing removal tool using some threaded rod and a suitably sized washer with two edges filed flat.

Also, I think @Plankosaurus has some NOS lowers that might work with your 2008 Rebas.

ausdb

Being who he is
Thanks for the advice so far, I was out and about yesterday and went past a motorbike shop and picked up some 5w oil.

Unfortunately this was before I read @link1896 advice and now I look at the cSt value it's way higher than the Maxima 5w. So I should probably be posting this in the other thread...

@SummitFever thanks I've reached out to @Plankosaurus and he may have something useful as replacement bushings look like they've already turned into unicorn poop. I need to hit my old man up and see if he's still got a set of telescopic gauges to see how flogged out mine are.

@link1896 the supergliss sounds like machine slideway oil, have you tried any others?

ausdb

Being who he is
Just ending this thread, motorbike shops in Perth only want to sell one litre bottles. The place I bought the 5w putoline (22 cSt) from were kind enough to take it back as 5w was the lightest they carried and I've ordered some motorex 2.5w
On the supergliss, my old man still has mates in machining / engineering so I'm going to get some slideway oil to experiment with but it probably won't be supergliss.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Supergliss is indeed an industrial slip way lube.

I have enough, I can send you ~50mls to try. PM me

Mattyp

Cows go boing
+1 for Motorex fluids and Supergliss 100k, (68k if ride you ride in single digit temps) for lowers.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Occasionally, or 5 months a year?
It's perfectly ok to use, still slippery AF. 68k just performs better than 100k at cooler temps.
Similarly 100k is better over 30degrees ambient than 68k.
I only have 100k and it's fine even on cold mornings in the hills.

Last edited: