TAS FOUND: 32 spoke 26 inch rim

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'm not saying either way, but they have an X in their name.

I think @Lucaw should grab Nathan's rim and get riding.
I've even got a Mavic XC717 rim on Shimano XT Hub newly arrived i could do at a reasonable price but he doesn't want Mavic.

I do have a pair of Rhyno Lites on Shimano hubs on the STP but id have to ask Covid prices for that set.

PJO

in me vL comy
Can't get much narrower than 17mm inner width (except some old school roadie rims at 15mm).

Older Mavic designations go something like this:

Two letters:
XC = cross country
XM = cross mountain
TN = same as XM
EN = Enduro freeride
EX = Extreme mountain (DH)

Followed by three numbers:
The first number is the series
1 = cheapest materials (pinned joint usually no eyelets)
3 = low-mid (slightly more durable, still pinned but with eyelets)
5 = mid (welded joint and eyeletted)
7 = best materials, welded and eyeletted
8 = best materials and UST (require special building technique)

The next two numbers are the inner rim width
17 = 17mm, 19 = 19mm, 21 = 21mm, etc...

So a XM317 rim is a cross mountain rim that will be pin joint, 6106 alloy with eyelets and 17mm inner width.

XM719 is a cross mountain with a welded joint, Maxtal alloy with 19mm inner width.

I have both XM719 and EN521 wheels in the shed and have abused the shit out of them they are still going strong (sadly not for sale as they will be going on my kids bikes)

moorey

call me Mia
Well summed up @PJO
I have folded 317's in the past on an XC bike, just cornering hard.

521's, 721's, EX729/321 (combo on the old 222) 832's (on the DH bike I recently sold that neither Felix or I could kill), all survived really well.

ausdb

Being who he is
Can't get much narrower than 17mm inner width (except some old school roadie rims at 15mm).

Older Mavic designations go something like this:

Two letters:
XC = cross country
XM = cross mountain
TN = same as XM
EN = Enduro freeride
EX = Extreme mountain (DH)

Followed by three numbers:
The first number is the series
1 = cheapest materials (pinned joint usually no eyelets)
3 = low-mid (slightly more durable, still pinned but with eyelets)
5 = mid (welded joint and eyeletted)
7 = best materials, welded and eyeletted
8 = best materials and UST (require special building technique)

The next two numbers are the inner rim width
17 = 17mm, 19 = 19mm, 21 = 21mm, etc...

So a XM317 rim is a cross mountain rim that will be pin joint, 6106 alloy with eyelets and 17mm inner width.

XM719 is a cross mountain with a welded joint, Maxtal alloy with 19mm inner width.

I have both XM719 and EN521 wheels in the shed and have abused the shit out of them they are still going strong (sadly not for sale as they will be going on my kids bikes)
@PJO great post, do you know how these numbers worked on the older ones without the letters in front of the numbers?
I've got an old set of 217 SUP which I remember were a reasonable rim back in the olden days.

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy
@PJO great post, do you know how these numbers worked on the older ones without the letters in front of the numbers?
I've got an old set of 217 SUP which I remember were a reasonable run back in the olden days.
Anything SUP would be toward the higher end, this was a designation of their welded rims which are mid/top tier.
I don't know about the really old rims though, I spent a bit of time looking into it about a decade ago and built a few Mavic rims (even some UST EX823s for my mates nephew), but my knowledge stops for anything before mid-noughties.
While we are on this thread high-jack here is a photo of that EX823 I built onto a Hope Pro2 evo hub. It was a thing of beauty:

ausdb

Being who he is
Anything SUP would be toward the higher end, this was a designation of their welded rims which are mid/top tier.
I don't know about the really old rims though, I spent a bit of time looking into it about a decade ago and built a few Mavic rims (even some UST EX823s for my mates nephew), but my knowledge stops for anything before mid-noughties.
While we are on this thread high-jack here is a photo of that EX823 I built onto a Hope Pro2 evo hub. It was a thing of beauty:
View attachment 374527
Keeping it OT, I see you subscribe to the Musson school of wheel building too.

Reactions: PJO

Lucaw

Next in line
I have changed the op, as you do make a fair point. I just love my Alex’s because the are over built dh, and it was $25 for the complete wheel set