Fort William 04 updates

Stinky

Likes Dirt
OK here is the latest goss from Round One of the Fort William World Cup.

Today (Wednesday) has just been for setting up etc and the riders having a walk through of the track. The DH track is basically the same although there is talk that the wooded section that Gravesy crashed in last year could be taken out. This would be a real bummer because it really is a nice little section that helps to break up the top of the course, alhough Jared may disagree with this. This sort of things kind of reflects the mood of the UCI officials who are being pretty anal about things and seem to have forgotten that it is a mountain bike race. The event organisers are pretty at standing up for their work so it should be cool in the end. The 4X is also essentially the same although the first straight has been extended by about 20 metres to let the guys get sorted into the first corner abit more.

The main event for today was the huge Tissot timing semi trailer that travels to just about every major sporting event including GPs etc being plugged into a dodgey circuit, sending 400+ volts though all the gear. In the end only the coffee maker was killed and all the timing gear is still good.

Other news;
- the GT trailer was dragged into the pits by the biggest doge ram in history.

- Got my first "in the flesh" look at the honda. It isn't quite as bad (i.e looks like a tank on two wheels) as some of the photos look. One actually had the front triangle filled in with a sort of fairing with some tech stuff strapped to the top tube. I think this for some sort of data collection.

Sorry no pics, I keep drinking the digi camera savings. Hopefully Silver Wahoo will bring his up and for race photos.

More tomorrow.

Tenacious Doug

Likes Bikes
Wooooo.......updates from the man himself, I want to be there with you (or just there in general)....god damn exams :cry:

Why they taking the wooded section out Ian, I love that bit! The impression I got was that the new tech delegate that replaced Kelli was a DH racer himself so things like that would be pretty cool.
Other snippets I have heard from the changes to the DH course are.......
A few touches up top to try and slow things down in line with UCI requests, including a weird bermed chicane thing, a few small doubles placed strategically to slow people down into the corners and a couple of new jumps. Also a new rocky section at about halfway (just through the deer fence for those in the know). The motorway at the bottom has had a revamp of the jumps to make the existing ones a bit steeper on the take off and also a couple more have been added.
This is all the stuff I heard, I should have ridden it the other week to find out myself but I donald ducked my knee :(

Going to cut and paste this over to Descent-World if you dont mind.

Have a good weekend and save some money for a beer or ten on Monday night :twisted:

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
YUK :(

Mick Hannah has just come off in a practice run, Apparently he is OK but a little beaten up and will still ride, although he needs a new pedal after bending one. From the description I got it was on the motor way section at the bottom of the course. Very Fast and very jumpy section of the course.

Well that's gotta be the first real time update for Farkin???? :D

It's the last one from me as I'm off to catch the action live!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :D :D

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Thats Friday done and dusted then.

DH practice today it was the first time that I have seen the whole course. The Gravesy wooded section is still in and there is actually a whole new really tech wood straight after. This has only just been completed recently and with a bit of rain and alot of riders this is getting chopped up and causing a few problems.

I saw Minnar do a few runs and the bike isn't as loud as I had expected from other reports.

My girlfriend is a physio and had a look at micks wrist after the crash and it doesn't appear to be broken, he managed to qualify around 16th for the four cross.

I cannot remember too many other results from the 4x qualies but all of the big names are there. There were only 74 entries and 64 go though.
Tonight is the big party and then an early start tomorrow.

We have arranged for the wall below the Tissot jump to become Aussie corner on race day, so the place will be pumping.

Thats about it for now, more tomorrow.

Thats about it for now.

Acadian

Pinkbike Pimpdaddy
Steve Peat Qualifies first.

STEVE PEAT QUALIFIES FIRST AT FORT WILLIAM WC RD 1.
A stormy morning greeted the riders today here in Scotland, the track as harsh on both man and machine as ever. With the rain beating down at the top of the hill as riders did their practice runs this morning, the outlook was grim, but the sun shines on the righteous and out it came.

Pinch flats were the bane of many riders with the jagged rocks along the twisty top section taking their toll with Dave Wardell and many others limping down towards the pits.

Steve had a problem free few runs and posted the fastest time in qualifying with a run of 4:25.69, Cedric came in second, 5 seconds behind Steve, with fellow Brit Gee Atherton in third.

Elite women saw Jonnier number 1 with 5:09.18, Marielle Saner in second with 5.16.82, and Helen Gaskell keeping up the British side in third.

Let’s hope that the Brits continue their form in Sundays final.

from www.mbuk.com

Acadian

Pinkbike Pimpdaddy
Fort William World Cup - 4X Qualification

Men
1. Wade Bootes (Aus) Trek-Volkswagen
2. Mike King (USA)
3. Steve Peat (GBr) Team Orange
4. Chris Powell (USA) Specialized Mountain Bike
5. Michal Prokop (Cze)
6. Guido Tschugg (Ger) Fusion Mtb Pro Racing Tea
6. Kamil Tatarkovic (Cze)
8. Nathan Rennie (Aus)
9. Mickael Deldycke (Fra)
9. Roger Rinderknecht (Sui)
11. Cedric Gracia (Fra) Siemens Mobile Cannondale
12. Thomas Allier (Fra)
13. Lucas Tamme (Cze)
14. Dave Wardell (GBr)
15. Carmine Falco (Fra)
16. Mick Hannah (Aus)
17. Samuel Hill (Aus)
18. Bas De Bever (Ned) Be One / Madhouse
19. George Atherton (GBr)
20. Frans Sjoblom (Swe)
21. Robin Baloochi (USA)
22. Xavier Aumaitre (Fra)
23. Scott Beaumont (GBr)
24. Jordie Lunn (Can) Specialized Mountain Bike
25. Steve Atkins (GBr)
26. David Vazquez Lopez (Esp) Maxxis-Msc
27. Glyn O'Brien (Irl)
28. Arne Tschug (Ger)
29. Leiv Ove Nordmark (Nor)
29. Ben Reid (Irl)
31. Romain Saladini (Fra) Commencal-Oxbow
32. Simon Newton (GBr)
33. Pablo Gal?n (Esp)
33. Duncan Riffle Carrasco (USA)
35. Johannes Hwang (Aut)
36. Mario Jarrin (Ecu) Zenith-Mtb-International
37. Dale Holmes (GBr)
38. Daniel Atherton (GBr)
39. Markolf Berchtold (Bra) Maxxis-Msc
40. Wilfred Van (Ned)
41. Richard Batey De Haterd (GBr)
42. Ross Tricker (GBr)
43. Maciej Jodko (Pol)
44. Ben Stephenson (GBr)
45. William Evans (GBr)
46. Duncan Ferris (GBr)
46. Daniel Hume (GBr)
48. Andrew Yoong (Irl)
48. Marco Zingg (Sui)
50. Daniel Yeomans (GBr)
51. Marc Beaumont (GBr) Team Orange
52. Zigs Skolins (Lat)
53. Colin Ross (Irl)
54. Martin Astley (GBr)
55. Dan Stanbridge (GBr)
56. Philip Shucksmith (GBr)
57. Martin Ogden (GBr)
58. Kai Schugk (Ger)
59. Marco Erbrich (Ger)
60. Dominic Bent (GBr)
61. Symon Folland (GBr)
62. Markus Baumann (Sui)
63. Gregory O'Keeffe (Irl)
64. Michal Marosi (Cze)
65. Jason Brennan (GBr)
66. Diego Alvarez-Alvarez (Esp)
DNF. Christian Egelmair (Sui)
DNF. Dag Schneevoigt (Ger)
DNS. Kyle Strait (USA)
DNS. Fabien Pedemanaud (Fra)
DNS. Fabien Barel (Fra) Kona Clarks Les Gets
DNS. Ben Kinsella (GBr)
DNS. James Gould (GBr)
DNS. Nicolas Ortiz (Fra)
DNS. Koen Valkenhoef (Ned)
DNS. Marcus Klausmann (Ger) Ghost International Racin

Women
1. Anne-Caroline Chausson (Fra) Commencal-Oxbow
2. Celine Gros (Fra) Team Morzine Avoriaz
3. Joey Gough (GBr)
4. Sabrina Jonnier (Fra)
5. Anneke Beerten (Ned)
6. Tara Llanes (USA)
7. Katrina Miller (Aus)
8. Vanessa Quin (Nzl)
9. Anita Molcik (Aut) Arbo RSP Downhill Racing
10. Fionn Griffiths (GBr)
11. Mio Suemasa (Jpn)
12. Diana Marggraff (Ecu) Zenith-Mtb-International
13. Eva Castro (Esp)
14. Emily Horridge Fernandez (GBr)
15. Marissa Erbrich (Ger)
16. Kim Boffey (GBr)
DNF. Lisa Sher (USA)
DNF. Tracy Moseley (GBr) Kona Clarks Les Gets
DNS. Helen Gaskell (GBr)
DNS. Helene Fruhwirth (Aut)

Tenacious Doug

Likes Bikes
One for all you Aussies........on the phone to a mate who is up there at the moment and got a quick word with Mick Hannah who will NOT be racing the 4X tonight after injuring himself in practice yesterday (hand/wrist). Seems Fort Bill is a bit cursed for him but luckily he will be well enough to race DH tomorrow.

I have been promised more tit bits throughout the afternoon......all for newspaper repo over here but if I get any more interesting Aussie news then i will be sure and let you know!

He is also borrowing pedals off of the official bike shop for Farkiners (is that a real word?) here in Scotland after busting his in practice.......www.alpinebikes.com........ proud to be paying minimum wage to both Stinky and Silver Wahoo :lol:

Tenacious Doug

Likes Bikes
4X Results hot off the press........
Women
1 Chausson
2 Llanes
3 Jonnier
4 Miller (crashed 1st turn)

Men
1. Tschugg
2. Hill
3. Saladini (who?)
4.Baloochi (who?)

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Not too much more to say than already ahs been posted here.

Mick will be racing tomorrow, he is very fired up and will be dissappointed without a podiom. My girlfreind look at his hand again today and it is getting bettter, She will strap it for him tomorrow which should help.

The Aussie wall is coming along very nicley with the arrival of Silver and big Dan today, look for lots of aussie flags in the area below the tissot arch in post race pics.

I am sure we can count on Doug (Who should be studying.)for live updates as the afternoon (early morning for you guys) goes on.

Good luck in your exams doug.

DOM

Eats Squid
I didnt think Bryn did the Oversea's WC's ?

hes missing from the 4X qualification.

some of the boys .... Bryn .. Jared only do Norba\North American WC's this year anyway.