Formula One world championship

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BTW are th morning sessions (FP1, FP3) now afternoon sessions? I thought it started around 11am, but it's 1pm now? Or am I just behind the times?
They moved everything back a few hours a coupel of years ago...so its more awake time for Europe...

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gee, Russell would have been getting close to lapping Hamilton, and therefore Bottas too... haha thats great.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Gee, Russell would have been getting close to lapping Hamilton, and therefore Bottas too... haha thats great.
Pretty crazy, eh? Shame about Charles' mistake, but I think the RBs had the pace. Great result from Lando. Dan had diffuser damage on lap 1 (Bottas hitting him from behind, I think), so that stuffed his race.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Annoyed a bad pitstop prevented bottas lapping Hamilton but the scenes innthe alfa garage after, good to see him enjoying his racing.

Was an interesting view of alonso's side pods. Must be scary when a large chunk of car goes flying off in traffic at that speed

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Getting the F1 discussions back here, I saw this comparison in a thread discussing the extra weight this year with larger wheels, tyres and brakes etc and thought it worth sharing.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Getting the F1 discussions back here, I saw this comparison in a thread discussing the extra weight this year with larger wheels, tyres and brakes etc and thought it worth sharing.

It's insane to think the 2021 cars were bigger in some cases, definitely out of hand. Need another 60cm at least off wheelbase and total length, if not more. Still miss the old V10 pocket rockets.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
It's insane to think the 2021 cars were bigger in some cases, definitely out of hand. Need another 60cm at least off wheelbase and total length, if not more. Still miss the old V10 pocket rockets.
Probably very difficult with the requirement for the driver to be fully behind the front axle
Plus aero balance, etc.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Safety has added size and weight. This has been a good thing. The increase in wheel diameter has been done for aesthetics. I like but there is a penalty. The cars are racing closer but not sure passing has improved. I still like the 80s 90s cars with the 2150 width but F1 has moved on.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Great pic. Crazy to think both the WEC (which I still think of as a small car) and the F1 car have nearly the same wheelbase, and the F1 car with front wing is nearly as long as the Ranger! Mentally, I'm still anchoring to my first impressions of seeing a car wheeled past me in the pit lane, and how low and narrow they seemed (in 2012).

Apparently there's heaps of empty space in the gearbox casing, which they use to make the rear floor area bigger (and balance out the long nose I guess). The current car's nose does look super long.

Probably very difficult with the requirement for the driver to be fully behind the front axle
If only we could get rid of these pesky drivers, the car could be much smaller!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
le clerc's confidence must be getting low, crashed lauda's ferrari in a historic GP day in monaco. was a brake failure but still to put that bit of history in the wall...

madstace

Likes Dirt
le clerc's confidence must be getting low, crashed lauda's ferrari in a historic GP day in monaco. was a brake failure but still to put that bit of history in the wall...
Talk about a hometown hoodoo. I feel sorry for him but hopefully that's the bad luck out of the way. Apparently lost braking, thus why he ended up there.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't follow F1 very closely but have a few mates that do.
Where does Riccardo go from here, seems it is all but over for him in F1?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Where does Riccardo go from here, seems it is all but over for him in F1?
Ha, came here to post something similar.

Doesn't look good though. He's been comprehensively outperformed by his teammate who's probably on about 1/10th (or even less) of his salary. My guess is he'll need to at least start equalling Norris in performance in the next 2-3 races or they'll be an energetic renegotiation of his contract, or Mclaren will dump him at the end of the season. Up to him whether he wants to continue his career with a lesser team afterwards, I'd imagine several lower teams would still be keen to have him.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I like Daniel, he was a breath of fresh air with the passing moves and racing he was doing and he brings a good attitude to the circus but if he cannot get the car working then maybe it is his time to hang up his boots or find a car that suits him.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
indycar would suit a big personality like DR. I cant see a lower team taking him on to help develop their cars like they might with some more experienced drivers.