Formula One world championship

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Outside the driver can drift wide anyway and the following driver can back off so no need for a car width there. Max had completed the pass and was clearly in front at the apex ergo he was in the lead, Lewis drove off track and was car lengths in front. Give it back.

I like Lewis calling out Checo for dangerous driving. Dangerous? No. Unsporting? Very. Just like Bottas did earlier in the year for Merc.

That's likely the last Grand Prix I'll watch. 30 years of late Sunday nights, been to many a race and have some incredible memories but this year? What a fucking shitshow. And why? The damn Netflix crowd. That stupid soapie Drive to Survive has attracted a crowd that isn't race oriented and will back the first shiny thing they latch onto. Very smart play by F1 of course and no doubt helping the revenue for sure but Jesus H Christ; the people voting for Driver of the Day are voting purely on who they barrack for. Kimi Driver of the day in Abu Dhabi? He was in the pits by lap 20 sinking tinnies! Not that that means much to me but it shows the lack of credibility being offered to the purest fans but hey; I guess we're a dead breed. The lack of noise in F1? Thats not important now as 65% of the screen time for Formula One is on a mobile phone where volume isn't a thing. Shame but truly a sign of the times and I'll admit that this category really isn't for me or aimed at guys like me anymore. The sad part about this season for me has been the immaturity of the team bosses; particularly Red Bullshit F1 and it's dragged veterans into it (Hamilton). Yep, I'm a Hamilton fan but also believe the fastest should win. Thats now a problem in F1 and what was shown in Abu Dhabi was disgraceful. Retiring Perez so it was one car out of Vercrashen's way? The retirement of Raikonnen during the race so he could be seen on primetime to get a bit of a send off? Latifi sticking it into the fence Piquet Jnr in Singapore style? (Hint; look that one up) and then the contrived rubbish that was the safety car with lapped cars passing etc etc? Not for one second did I believe any of that was not 100% staged and made up on the go purely to appease the big final boss battle. Yuck, it was fucking shit to watch and embarrassing. And issuing half points for three laps behind safety car in Spa? Ha! Fuck off.
F1 is dumb. I hope the 2022 regulations fix some of the big problems but I fear it's just gonna be another TV drama made for Home & Away fans.
Motogp beckons, give in, but bring your earplugs (still nice n loud)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Outside the driver can drift wide anyway and the following driver can back off so no need for a car width there. Max had completed the pass and was clearly in front at the apex ergo he was in the lead, Lewis drove off track and was car lengths in front. Give it back.

I like Lewis calling out Checo for dangerous driving. Dangerous? No. Unsporting? Very. Just like Bottas did earlier in the year for Merc.
Completed the pass my arse! He got nowhere near the apex either. If Lewis didn't take to the run off Max would have T - boned the Merc and that would have been the end. It was just another over ambitious move from Max that only came off because Lewis is smart enough to get out of the way.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I doI an’t think of a sporting event where there has been a change in results after a finish, aside from DQ’s etc.
Maybe SanRemo rally 1986. FISA nullified the result after the end of the season, changing the result of the world championship?

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Maybe SanRemo rally 1986. FISA nullified the result after the end of the season, changing the result of the world championship?
Only because the dodgy local scrutineer excluded Peugeot after they had already passed official scrutineering, and were leading the Lancias

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Completed the pass my arse! He got nowhere near the apex either. If Lewis didn't take to the run off Max would have T - boned the Merc and that would have been the end. It was just another over ambitious move from Max that only came off because Lewis is smart enough to get out of the way.
Your obsession with arses is noted. Watch it again, Lewis was 2nd.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Latifi sticking it into the fence Piquet Jnr in Singapore style?
You're getting into tin-foil hat territory there, mate. in Crashgate Piquet Jr was legit helping out his team mate. Seeing as Williams are effectively a Mercedes B team these days, Latifi (who still has a seat with them for 2022*) was doing the exact opposite!

*At the time of going to press.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You're getting into tin-foil hat territory there, mate. in Crashgate Piquet Jr was legit helping out his team mate. Seeing as Williams are effectively a Mercedes B team these days, Latifi (who still has a seat with them for 2022*) was doing the exact opposite!

*At the time of going to press.
The devil could be in the detail there, maybe he’s got a new gig coming his way?
I know it sounds a little far out on my part but it’s hard not to think it was made-up as it went.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Your obsession with arses is noted. Watch it again, Lewis was 2nd.
His front axle was ahead of Lewis' but only because he steamed in on the inside, payed no attention to the apex or natural line, just managed to pull it up before the outside kerb and wind on as much lock as he could to make the corner. If Lewis attempted to stay on track, they were both rooted.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only because the dodgy local scrutineer excluded Peugeot after they had already passed official scrutineering, and were leading the Lancias
Yes, true, but they still changed the result of the event/season after the fact. So it's not impossible to happen.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That's likely the last Grand Prix I'll watch. 30 years of late Sunday nights, been to many a race and have some incredible memories but this year? What a fucking shitshow. And why? The damn Netflix crowd. That stupid soapie Drive to Survive has attracted a crowd that isn't race oriented and will back the first shiny thing they latch onto. Very smart play by F1 of course and no doubt helping the revenue for sure but Jesus H Christ; the people voting for Driver of the Day are voting purely on who they barrack for. Kimi Driver of the day in Abu Dhabi? He was in the pits by lap 20 sinking tinnies! Not that that means much to me but it shows the lack of credibility being offered to the purest fans but hey; I guess we're a dead breed. The lack of noise in F1? Thats not important now as 65% of the screen time for Formula One is on a mobile phone where volume isn't a thing. Shame but truly a sign of the times and I'll admit that this category really isn't for me or aimed at guys like me anymore. The sad part about this season for me has been the immaturity of the team bosses; particularly Red Bullshit F1 and it's dragged veterans into it (Hamilton). Yep, I'm a Hamilton fan but also believe the fastest should win. Thats now a problem in F1 and what was shown in Abu Dhabi was disgraceful. Retiring Perez so it was one car out of Vercrashen's way? The retirement of Raikonnen during the race so he could be seen on primetime to get a bit of a send off? Latifi sticking it into the fence Piquet Jnr in Singapore style? (Hint; look that one up) and then the contrived rubbish that was the safety car with lapped cars passing etc etc? Not for one second did I believe any of that was not 100% staged and made up on the go purely to appease the big final boss battle. Yuck, it was fucking shit to watch and embarrassing. And issuing half points for three laps behind safety car in Spa? Ha! Fuck off.
F1 is dumb. I hope the 2022 regulations fix some of the big problems but I fear it's just gonna be another TV drama made for Home & Away fans.
While this season has undoubtedly been marred by some really weird FIA decisions and inconsistent penalties (mostly at the expense of Verstappen who lets face it probably deserved most of them) to argue that F1 is being watered down to cater for soapy fans is giving it a nudge imo. F1 has (for far too long) been an aloof, insular and seemingly proud of its inaccessibility while simultaneously wondering how a bunch of suicidal rocket jockeys on a bit of Dallara scaffolding can pull 300,000+ capacity crowds at Indycar. For many years (especially pre-Webber) I was frustrated by the lack of knowledge, understanding and relatability for anyone involved in F1 (apart from knowing that Ron Dennis had pathological OCD) beyond a few snippets and background gleaned from F1 Magazine and similar who were only really given what the team's PR Praetorian Guard decided would be allowed.

Liberty Media has jettisoned that protective carapace and given fans much more exposure, relatability and audience beyond what just tuning on a race weekend will do because lets face it - heaps of races have been, are and always will be boring af to watch due to being processions, hindered by stupid rules (grooved tyres wtf), by having one team wiping the floor with everyone else or being held at Monaco. Thanks to Drive to Survive I now know that several people are either pretty cool or otherwise relatable and empathisable (new word) while confirming others are total chodes. And an episode devoted to why this particular race is so important to some low ranking driver in order to keep his seat who otherwise you'd never give even the slightest shit about owing to zero exposure? Brilliant telly. Yes I'll agree that being a petulant wanker for the cameras for edge points (not sure who started this - that weird Haas guy?) is definitely a thing now but Horner has always been fucking useless when it comes to controlling his drivers and Marko seems to actively foster dickheads so not sure what can be done there. Plus thanks to DTS we got to see Horner's face when Abeitboul owned him over the Ricciardo move to Renault a season or two ago.

Ultimately Masi was always going to be crucified for the result - the howling and rage he would've received if he let the race finish under a safety car in the closest championship we've seen in decades would've probably finished his career, as would have not letting those unlapped cars through and not giving Verstappen a chance at Hamilton. At the end of the day F1 is for us - the fans. Something the sport seemed to not be overly attuned to for a while but now they are so I for one welcome our new overlords.

/ rant

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Horner did say he had a lifetime* supply of Red Bull coming his way.

*approximately 100 cans which if drunk quickly in succession should last the rest of his life.
I thought it was one can, a half full can at that. Did you know there is a mushroom you can eat which will provide all the sustenance you need for the rest of your life?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I wonder if Daniel Ricciardo is regretting his move to McLaren,
Now that Alpine/Renault seems to have its shit together... Although new 2022 regulation fuckery may nuke all of that.

I lost all interest in F1 almost a decade ago because watching the same team race after race - fuck off and hide leaving the minnows in their wake became extremely tedious, but as @Asininedrivel mentions, Drive to Survive shone some light on things that were not mercedes, and that there were things of interest going on outside of the nearly decade long televised petronas processsions.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I wonder if Daniel Ricciardo is regretting his move to McLaren,
Even just off the 2 years at Renault vs this year, he's definitely made a good choice. Monza happened McLaren had the speed. Conversely Hungary happened for Ocon because of sheer chaos and probably due to the hardest man on the grid to pass.

I'm really hoping their tail-off this year is reflective of a change of egg basket. Hopefully the 2022 car is less specific in terms of handling and Danny can get his head around it better, but also not to the detriment of Lando, both blokes are leg ends.

If nothing else, definite upgrade of company road car :D

smaj

Likes Dirt
I'm really hoping their tail-off this year is reflective of a change of egg basket.
Yeah, they said pretty early on (3-4 races in?) that they weren't developing the car anymore. I think the last development came through around Hungary. Ferrari stopped a few races later, but they had their PU upgrade as well. It was impressive to see both teams basically work on setup for at least half the year, to get that last bit of performance. McLaren also get a little bit more wind tunnel and CFD time from coming a bit lower than Ferrari in the championship; doesn't sound like much, but next year's car is going to improve hugely during the year as they understand its aero, so a little bit more helps a lot.

Actually, the team that impressed me the most was Mercedes. To bring themselves from their low point mid-year, to the last few races where they had arguably the fastest car, I thought was a really impressive team effort.