Formula One world championship

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
VB stuffed up for LH too, a couple of feet to the left woulda made all the difference.....

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bottas seems like a nice guy, definitely goes better on a saturday than a sunday. Will be nice to see him at a team that treats him well even if he wont be at the pointy end of the field. he knows how to pass through a pack so i think he'll add excitement to a race in a mid field car

smaj

Likes Dirt
bottas seems like a nice guy, definitely goes better on a saturday than a sunday. Will be nice to see him at a team that treats him well even if he wont be at the pointy end of the field. he knows how to pass through a pack so i think he'll add excitement to a race in a mid field car
Hope so, he always seemed to do a good job in the Williams. I'm really hoping next year, with the new car and the cost cap, will produce closer racing.

Boom King

Hope so, he always seemed to do a good job in the Williams. I'm really hoping next year, with the new car and the cost cap, will produce closer racing.
Historically, massive rule changes like those next year, result in one team stealing a march on the others and racing away with the title.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Historically, massive rule changes like those next year, result in one team stealing a march on the others and racing away with the title.
Yeah true. I'm not really sure what to make of these new regs: they are so restrictive, you'd think cars should be really close in performance, but I'm starting to hear that engineers think they've recovered almost all of the downforce (I can't remember the source, but I thought they would lose quite a chunk from this year), so perhaps there will be a huge winner.

Boom King

Yeah true. I'm not really sure what to make of these new regs: they are so restrictive, you'd think cars should be really close in performance, but I'm starting to hear that engineers think they've recovered almost all of the downforce (I can't remember the source, but I thought they would lose quite a chunk from this year), so perhaps there will be a huge winner.
The new regs aren't aimed at reducing down force. They are aimed at managing airflow and making it less disruptive for following cars. The cars will inherently have high down force as a result of the under floor venturis. A lot of work has gone into managing airflow around the front wheels and throwing disturbed air high from the rear of the car. This should dramatically reduce lost down force when following closely.

smaj

Likes Dirt
The new regs aren't aimed at reducing down force.
As you say, they're for allowing better following. I had heard, though -- and sorry I can't find the source -- that they would have less downforce than this year. Perhaps just because they're less developed at the moment, rather than an inherent flaw. That would match up with what I've heard recently on the TV commentary, that they've recovered it to close to current levels.

The Venturis will be interesting. They are huge! I gather they will be less susceptible to losing their seal, especially in yaw? That will be good; I like drivers finding the car hard to drive sometimes, but gusty conditions just make some cars unpredictable. No more tyre squirt slots either, but they must be getting pretty good at avoiding issues with the diffuser by now.

Front and rear wings still massive though. I wonder if they will allow all the slots and gaps on the rear wing. At the moment, it doesn't look like it. I suppose this is all to throw the turbulence up, like the shape of the endplates and the curve connecting them to the main plane?

Boom King

As you say, they're for allowing better following. I had heard, though -- and sorry I can't find the source -- that they would have less downforce than this year. Perhaps just because they're less developed at the moment, rather than an inherent flaw. That would match up with what I've heard recently on the TV commentary, that they've recovered it to close to current levels.

The Venturis will be interesting. They are huge! I gather they will be less susceptible to losing their seal, especially in yaw? That will be good; I like drivers finding the car hard to drive sometimes, but gusty conditions just make some cars unpredictable. No more tyre squirt slots either, but they must be getting pretty good at avoiding issues with the diffuser by now.

Front and rear wings still massive though. I wonder if they will allow all the slots and gaps on the rear wing. At the moment, it doesn't look like it. I suppose this is all to throw the turbulence up, like the shape of the endplates and the curve connecting them to the main plane?
Yeah, less down force as a starting point in the design process but these guys are smart, doesn't take them long to find solutions and gains.

The diffuser is massive too with a steep upsweep for exiting airflow. This, combined with a beam wing and the rear wing, results in the disturbed air being directed high up over any following car.

Hopefully the racing gets closer and the field closes up, fingers crossed.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Yeah, less down force as a starting point in the design process but these guys are smart, doesn't take them long to find solutions and gains.
Found it! https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-autos-2022-schneller-als-gedacht/

Ripped-off translation: https://www.grandprix.com/news/2022-cars-only-slightly-slower-says-symonds.html

F1's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds, has played down earlier fears that the 2022 cars will be many seconds slower per lap.

"We can imagine that the new cars will be on average only half a second per lap slower than the current ones at the beginning of the season," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

"And it could be a tie by the end of the season. I say 'could' because we don't know yet what pace of development these regulations will allow."

It is believed the medium-fast to high-speed corners could actually be taken faster by the 2022 cars due to the aerodynamic 'Venturi' effect.

Top speeds will then be lower.

Symonds insists: "We're not worried about the laptimes. The primary concern is about better racing."
Hopefully the racing gets closer and the field closes up, fingers crossed.
Same. That bit in quali where Tsunoda got out of Checo's way, and still the turbulence caused both the following cars to abort their lap, will hopefully be gone next year.

I am also really intrigued to see what they can do with the front wing. Since it's so sensitive to following wake, yet provides so much turn-in grip, and is always a priority for the team, will they still tweak it until it's too sensitive again, or can they get enough from the floor that it won't matter so much anymore?

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
cant really comment on todays race beyond being happy its the end of the races in the americas. 4am is the worst possible time for it to be on.
Yeah but while the last 3 races are a bit closer to home, they’re all still at cunty times due to them being night or twilight races

(1am for Qatar, 4:30am for Saudi Arabia and midnight for Abu Dhabi)

madstace

Likes Dirt

Was always going to happen sooner rather than later, he'll definitely put some pressure on Ocan.
It's a shame to see him miss out on a proper seat but he could be very well placed if Alonso finally realises "fuck I'm old" at the end of next year. At least Zhou doesn't appear to suck, less Tsunodas and Mazaspins please.