Formula One world championship

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wouldnt be so bad if it was called early, or even if they let the cars run and keep the line drier. waiting as the rain got heavier was never going to work, and running 2 laps to claim we had a race was a joke.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Agreed. I sat up for a while, enjoy listening to Brundle and his Miami race story though. I did expect him to be able to pronounce Nordschleife property.

madstace

Likes Dirt
wouldnt be so bad if it was called early, or even if they let the cars run and keep the line drier. waiting as the rain got heavier was never going to work, and running 2 laps to claim we had a race was a joke.
It was brutal hanging on for that to be the outcome, can't see how 2 laps under SC warrants half points either. They want to have a serious rethink about how that situation is managed in the future. Feel gutted for Lando since he didn't get a chance to redeem himself, but on the bright side, Danny's best result of the year!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It was brutal hanging on for that to be the outcome, can't see how 2 laps under SC warrants half points either. They want to have a serious rethink about how that situation is managed in the future. Feel gutted for Lando since he didn't get a chance to redeem himself, but on the bright side, Danny's best result of the year!
The necessity for a minimum of two laps was farcical and a little on the dangerous side given that Checo managed to end up in the wall just driving to the grid earlier. The result should have been called without a return to the track. Half points however is totally justified. The teams and drivers all work and race their arses off in qualifying and those efforts need to be rewarded.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
They did qually under nasty conditions. Result was recognition for that. Still should just declare the race without risking someone binning it behind the safety car.

madstace

Likes Dirt
The necessity for a minimum of two laps was farcical and a little on the dangerous side given that Checo managed to end up in the wall just driving to the grid earlier. The result should have been called without a return to the track. Half points however is totally justified. The teams and drivers all work and race their arses off in qualifying and those efforts need to be rewarded.
Agree with both points here, guess that was my ultimate point. Rather than have the intent of rewarding Satdy if Sunday becomes said farce through a 2 lap minimum, just call the race off, defer to qually results, and maybe award say 1/4 points (half still seems like too much to me). 75% rule is still a good one, wonder if they should have 25 and 50% too. Decisions are hard, I do wonder what a Monday option might have looked like too.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
weather report didnt look any better for monday, and they have races for the next 2 weekends so it wouldnt have fit in the schedule anyway. it was a crap position to be in but the race director looked silly, from vettel shouting that they should red flag qualifying before lando crashed, to stopping the clock on when they were allowed to restart. it gives the impression he's not confident in his own judgement.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
weather report didnt look any better for monday, and they have races for the next 2 weekends so it wouldnt have fit in the schedule anyway. it was a crap position to be in but the race director looked silly, from vettel shouting that they should red flag qualifying before lando crashed, to stopping the clock on when they were allowed to restart. it gives the impression he's not confident in his own judgement.
I reckon if the weather forecast was good they might have chanced it. The next race at Zandvoort is only a couple hours drive away - 300km which is bugger all for a global series and it's only an extra days OT after a lengthy summer break.

I know NASCAR with it's aversion to even the slightest drop of rain and tightly packed schedule quite often races on a Monday - I experienced it myself when I went to see a race at Pocono in 2016 that got rained off. I'd driven across the whole country to see it (with a detour via Moab) and had to change my onward flight by a day which sent my Mother mental as she was expecting me in Scotland for my sisters wedding the following Saturday. Cracking race mind you. The sun came out to play on the Monday and a good time was had by all.

Hell, last year they had one of the Play-Off series races in Texas rained off all the way through to the Wednesday. They not only raced it, they also kept on schedule and raced in Virginia 4 days later. The distance between the two venues is about 1800km!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Watching the highlights of the recent WRC round in Belgium. It’s worth checking out if you want to see what Spa looks like when it’s not behind a blanket of rain. They’re also utilising some fairly neat short-cuts around the circuit!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
For a tough track with few overtaking opportunities, I thought it made for a cracking race. Alonso’s early moves round the high line on corners were pretty spectacular. Think that little dalliance with Indy Car finally oaid off for him.

I liked Mercedes attempt to box in Verstappen, the tight nature of Zandvoort makes it a good circuit for showcasing teams actually working as a team. Sure it wasn’t successful but it was a good attempt although it would have put a downer on the atmosphere which was pretty mental. An absolute sea of orange all going nuts to Tiesto. It was more like a rave than a race.

Last edited: