Formula One world championship

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It'd be infinitely better if someone else was beating him.
You're not wrong but focusing on the constructors it'd still be fantastic to see RBR win it this year. Be such a fitting send off to Honda after years of effort (and not much reward).

Looks increasingly likely too now Toto Wolff apparently said development on this year's Merc was done.

Anyway could be worse, Vettel could be winning races.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
F1 has always been innovative. And its always crazy technical. It sparks the inner tech geek in me.

I'll watch F1 until I stop breathing.
What he said.

I've watched it since the late 70's. For me, it's the pinnacle of open wheeler motorsport. I love the technical genius involved, the fact that the engineers are not particularly interested in what the rules say you can't do but rather, what they don't say you can't do.

Ground effect, fan car, active suspension, fiddle brakes, f ducts, DAS, the list goes on. I love it when a team turns up with an advantage due to their own technical brilliance.

I also love the bloody single mindedness and absolute focus of the best drivers.

The circus is captivating.

...... the ugliest race cars on earth....
Uglier than indycars? Give it a rest.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ground effect, fan car, active suspension, fiddle brakes, f ducts, DAS, the list goes on. I love it when a team turns up with an advantage due to their own technical brilliance.
Fan car is my fave of that list. I look at things like bendy wing elements and think, man those fan folks were really wild thinkers lol.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that Hamilton still hasn't figured out that for the last 7 years he;s had the best car in the field..and can't quite comprehend how now, he can't keep up.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
No way he was going to retire this year when the road to the championship is looking so tenuous. Max/RB is a serious obstacle this year and Ham will want to get that 8th title, hoping the Merc investment in the new car can deliver it.
Yeah, still kinda hoping (especially with the cost caps) that next year will be a bit of a reset and it'll be anyone's game ala 2009.

In the interim I'm trying not to get overexcited about tonight's race given Norris was within... 4/100ths of Verstappen's pole time?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha. yeah it's unlikely, but i would love it if it happened...

also that national anthem! hahaha

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

To be fair, a lot of overtakes being attempted at fairly consistent disappearing wedges. From what I could see there was no way the inside driver on that corner could give any space without substantially dropping speed to carve a shallower exit, which no one is going to do.

At least the penalties were consistent I guess. And Alonso and Russell demonstrated how to race without collecting gravel in the final stages. Leclerc drove a blinder.

smaj

Likes Dirt
To be fair, a lot of overtakes being attempted at fairly consistent disappearing wedges
I had the feeling, with a lot of those, that they weren't going to give up :) That one with Leclerc though on the gravel on the outside, I was sure he was going to lose it then.

Was surprised by how well Horner took Perez's first penalty! Not usually known for his equanimity w.r.t. his drivers.

Alonso vs Russell was excellent. Real shame Russell had to lose that place, especially after last week. Very surprised by how decent the Williams was.

Very happy with Lando's race! And Dan did a decent race to bring it into the points, only a shame to get pipped by Sainz on those newer tyres at the end.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Very surprised by how decent the Williams was.

Very happy with Lando's race! And Dan did a decent race to bring it into the points, only a shame to get pipped by Sainz on those newer tyres at the end.
Yeah I've heard that with clean air the Williams is actually pretty competitive, it's why Russell keeps qualifying it higher than anyone is expecting (and also that he's insanely good).

Sainz is an entitled chode, wasn't happy to see that. Didn't keep up with the maths but guessing Lando maaay have got second place if not for his penalty.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Was surprised by how well Horner took Perez's first penalty! Not usually known for his equanimity w.r.t. his drivers.
I have no doubt in my mind that he said that to the TV interviewer but also had a phone in one hand to the race officials requesting a penalty for Norris.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Yeah I've heard that with clean air the Williams is actually pretty competitive, it's why Russell keeps qualifying it higher than anyone is expecting (and also that he's insanely good).
It looks really racy on tracks like this. It'll be a disappointment if Russell isn't in the Merc next year. I reckon Bottas will be out after this season, though this is a good result for him, he's not consistent over a season.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It looks really racy on tracks like this. It'll be a disappointment if Russell isn't in the Merc next year. I reckon Bottas will be out after this season, though this is a good result for him, he's not consistent over a season.
I'm not sure Hamilton will like having another aggro team mate though, a compliant #2 who does what he's told is probably much more to his liking after the chaos of the Rosberg years.

Maybe it was a condition of his new contract though "yes we'll keep paying you absolute shitloads but we're upgrading your co-driver next year"

smaj

Likes Dirt
Maybe it was a condition of his new contract though "yes we'll keep paying you absolute shitloads but we're upgrading your co-driver next year"
They really need it to compete in the WCC (assuming they're still around the top next season).

Interesting to see no more "Bono, my tyres are gone" messages from Hamilton, before he bangs in 10 fast laps anymore. Those RB are really pushing the Mercs.