Formula One world championship

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Honda have pulled out of F1. Red Bull have taken over the IP and formed Red Bull Powertrains.
There's a smidge of information online (TL/DR: Honda will still be building next year's engines, readying them for E10 and some other stuff). I think this year's success has made them a bit reluctant to leave entirely.

Still not sure not to make of the result, but at least it wasn't a Max induced wipeout. Hamilton definitely deserved it more though - and that's coming from someone who's bored shitless of seeing him win everything.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I’m not a F1 fan but decided to watch last night; who wouldn’t be interested in a sporting series with two title contenders tied on points coming into it.

What a shit show. Calls from the officials at start and finish make no sense to me in a sport where they could easily ensure a situation of no unreasonable advantage in race incidents like that.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
As mentioned previously I changed my flight back to the UK for that race and thank fuck I did. What an ending to the maddest season I can remember in decades.

I feel sorry for Lewis but then he does already hold the world record with 7 driving championships and cracked 100 wins this year (something unprecedented in the history of the sport), so the probably should have retired already and let someone else have a go!

As controversial as the restart decision was, it was the right one. To end the final race of such a thrilling championship under the safety car would have not only been horribly anticlimactic, it’d have been damaging to the sport. Millions of extra eyes were on that race due to the hype generated after Saudi Arabia. For many it was their first ever experience - here in the UK, SkySports made the decision to allow the race be broadcast on free-to-air so even folk like my Mum were watching.

Hamilton didn’t have to stay out, Mercedes should have known there was no way that F1’s new owners would let the biggest race of all time finish under safety car conditions - particularly given the facts that they’re a lot more media savvy than Ecclestone was and are from America where “Green, White, Checker” finishes are commonplace.

The irony of it all is that it was a Williams that caused this debacle. I only wish it were George Russell who was driving it so that there would be a bit of added spice in the Merc garage next season.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Hamilton didn’t have to stay out, Mercedes should have known there was no way that F1’s new owners would let the biggest race of all time finish under safety car conditions - particularly given the facts that they’re a lot more media savvy than Ecclestone was and are from America where “Green, White, Checker” finishes are commonplace.
Damned either way.... Red Bull were doing watever Mercedes didn't do.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Extremely poor form by Mercedes to contest the stewards decisions in court.
Bad PR for Mercedes IMO. They will come out of the court looking like dickheads either way, and even worse, if it gives Lewis an 8th driver's title, it will be tarnished by the actions of Mercedes and their shitstain lawyers.

This is not what F1 should be.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Extremely poor form by Mercedes to contest the stewards decisions in court.
Bad PR for Mercedes IMO. They will come out of the court looking like dickheads either way, and even worse, if it gives Lewis an 8th driver's title, it will be tarnished by the actions of Mercedes and their shitstain lawyers.

This is not what F1 should be.
Is the finish of the race what F1 should be?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
You talking the final or semi, or both? The guy that finished second but was DQ’d in his quarter final to gift him a semi finals spot may have also had issue.
I'm sure he bitterly hugs his blankie every night, but no-one apart from google search remembers him.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I wasn't able to watch the race, no recepticons. Saw the controversy and read the comments. Just watched it. The stewards had a very average day starting with no penalty to Lewis on lap 1 leaving the track and gaining an advantage. How that could be left without a penalty is beyond me. Max had completed the pass and was in front. Lewis went wide but also did 100m less track to go from 2nd to 1st.

The rest? Meh. I said yonks ago the teams should not be able to nag Masi. I think he did the right thing though perhaps it would have been fairer under the circumstances to red flag the race and let them have those last 5 laps clear. Lewis and Max on fresh rubber but with Lewis carrying a 10 second penalty for that lap one episode.

Will Merc go through with their appeal????

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I wasn't able to watch the race, no recepticons. Saw the controversy and read the comments. Just watched it. The stewards had a very average day starting with no penalty to Lewis on lap 1 leaving the track and gaining an advantage. How that could be left without a penalty is beyond me. Max had completed the pass and was in front. Lewis went wide but also did 100m less track to go from 2nd to 1st.

The rest? Meh. I said yonks ago the teams should not be able to nag Masi. I think he did the right thing though perhaps it would have been fairer under the circumstances to red flag the race and let them have those last 5 laps clear. Lewis and Max on fresh rubber but with Lewis carrying a 10 second penalty for that lap one episode.

Will Merc go through with their appeal????
Lewis one was weird. I thought Hamilton was forced off the track, so don’t think he should have been penalised aside from giving the time advantage back. Strange that Masi claimed he had.

Red flag and restart would have been the best. Surprises me that they don’t have something in place for the last ~5-10 laps where it automatically goes to red flag, everyone can refuel and re-tyre, then have a final 5 lap sprint once the track is cleared.

I doubt they’ll push ahead. Is there any likelihood that a successful appeal hands them the title? You can’t really go back to an earlier point in time and say those are the positions that will be awarded, as the race wasn’t finished then.

I can’t think of a sporting event where there has been a change in results after a finish, aside from DQ’s etc.

Closest thing I can recall is an AFL game in Tasmania where the umpires didn’t hear the siren and the game ran an extra 30 seconds or so, with a team scoring in that time to tie the game. In that case the rules said the game is finished when the umpires first hear the siren and call it over, but a technical issue meant they couldn’t hear it. Was determined the game finished when time expired and the result was changed to the team ahead at the time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Aside from refuel...

Not specific to this race... The red flag rules need looking at too. You can repair damage like for like and grab new tyres which means if someone screwed up and damaged a front or rear wing that can be neutralised under a red flag. Maybe just safety stuff like tape up damaged carbon. You just want tyres? Change them under race conditions. Pit lane is closed to tyre swaps under vsc or safety car or red flag. Come in and replace damaged bits or deflating tyres. Still a bit messy, oh we thought we had a puncture so that probably is open to abuse.

Overall clear up the rules. Track limits apply on all corners. Limits are the white lines. You can't have all 4 tyres off the track. Leave the track 3 times in any 10 laps get 5 secs on your time. Sorted. You must leave racing room on the inside if there is a move to pass. Leave the track and gain an advantage then give that advantage back. Run wide to avoid an accident or are forced off then doesn't count.

Anyway now that I have read the articles the interpretation of the rules at the end of this race was dodgy. As was the first lap incident.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i didnt think lewis should have been punished so much for the first lap incident, max failed to leave a cars width on the outside, but he then took off straight lining the corner. he wasnt just not losing time but gained a significant advantage that should have been handed back.

definitely need to stop getting new tyres under a red, it adds a 30 odd second random penalty if you were unlucky enough to pit on your own time before the flags. yes the same can happen under yellows but the race isnt stopped then.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That's likely the last Grand Prix I'll watch. 30 years of late Sunday nights, been to many a race and have some incredible memories but this year? What a fucking shitshow. And why? The damn Netflix crowd. That stupid soapie Drive to Survive has attracted a crowd that isn't race oriented and will back the first shiny thing they latch onto. Very smart play by F1 of course and no doubt helping the revenue for sure but Jesus H Christ; the people voting for Driver of the Day are voting purely on who they barrack for. Kimi Driver of the day in Abu Dhabi? He was in the pits by lap 20 sinking tinnies! Not that that means much to me but it shows the lack of credibility being offered to the purest fans but hey; I guess we're a dead breed. The lack of noise in F1? Thats not important now as 65% of the screen time for Formula One is on a mobile phone where volume isn't a thing. Shame but truly a sign of the times and I'll admit that this category really isn't for me or aimed at guys like me anymore. The sad part about this season for me has been the immaturity of the team bosses; particularly Red Bullshit F1 and it's dragged veterans into it (Hamilton). Yep, I'm a Hamilton fan but also believe the fastest should win. Thats now a problem in F1 and what was shown in Abu Dhabi was disgraceful. Retiring Perez so it was one car out of Vercrashen's way? The retirement of Raikonnen during the race so he could be seen on primetime to get a bit of a send off? Latifi sticking it into the fence Piquet Jnr in Singapore style? (Hint; look that one up) and then the contrived rubbish that was the safety car with lapped cars passing etc etc? Not for one second did I believe any of that was not 100% staged and made up on the go purely to appease the big final boss battle. Yuck, it was fucking shit to watch and embarrassing. And issuing half points for three laps behind safety car in Spa? Ha! Fuck off.
F1 is dumb. I hope the 2022 regulations fix some of the big problems but I fear it's just gonna be another TV drama made for Home & Away fans.