Formula One world championship

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
there's too much to lose for the main race for serious battles. i'll hold of judgment a bit more but not sold so far
I dunno. Verstappen beating Hamilton off the line and Alonso jumping from 11th to 5th then dropping back to 7th showed there's still a bit of fight in amongst the drivers.

Speaking of Alonso I quite like his suggestion of making Friday's quali for the Sprint race more even-handed by having the drivers have only one set of tyres and one attempt at a flying lap.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i put alonso in the raikkonen category. he's there for shits and giggles rather than points and money so not a surprise he's more fiesty in the sprint race. taking the lead from the line is one pr4obably the cleanest way to take a position unless its wheel to wheel at the corner

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I’ve kept my opinion on the Hamilton Verstappen thing to myself this week but the more it goes on, the more I’m frustrated by it. And now I have realized why.
It was Verstappen’s fault that he ended up under the tyres. It seems to me that no one commenting on it in official circles seemed to watch the two third’s of the lap leading up to it. Vertsappen was making some darn ordinary blocks on Wellington straight, Lewis was up with him and moved away to fight another day. Out of Luffield, Lewis had the beans to get alongside Verstappen and got driven into the old pit wall. Remember when Schumacher did it in Hungary to Barrichello and the world nearly exploded? That was fucked up and dangerous. Regardless of it being first lap or not, Verstappen made it clear he was up for the fight. Move along 00.00098 of a second and there;’s Lewis still on his line. He made one move as opposed to Verstappen’s three. One move and a car space is the norm. For Verstappen though? Nah, three’ll fucking do. Oh bummer, there’s a car still there? I thought I pushed that ma’fucker into the fence. And now I’m under the tyres in pieces but thank fuck my radio still works so I can get Christian to speak to Michael to radio back to Helmut to speak to Adrian to distract Toto while I have a fucking whine about being a shit racer and cutting across the front of the faster car. When shit like that goes down, I pretend I don’t know who is in what car and I make an assumption on who was right or wrong without having any feeling in it. Even in a video game, that was the car on the outside making a race-ending move.
It wasn’t until today that I realised that I have a little emotion behind it because I absolutely hate Red Bull Racing in F1. Early days after the Jaguar takeover were pretty cool and seeing them get momentum was great for the sport. Vettel’s 2010 championship was a pretty flash result and a really good season of racing. Webber’s chance at that championship blew out when he binned it in Korea so that blew the points wide open for all. The next couple of years were fun too but 2013 when Pirelli changed their tyre design to change wear patterns and it affected Red Bull’s dominance as their car didn’t suit it. They had a massive fucking cry and had the tyres changed back to what they were and we got the same results as previously seen. During all of these winning years, we had Helmut Marko ranting every chance he got. Who in the actual what the fuck is he? Why does he get any media? He’s a fucking straight-up clone of Hitler! I cannot stand that dickhead and is stupidly unrealistic opinions. He’s an arsehat. Christian Horner? Seems like he runs a pretty good ship but also spews some pretty dumb shit when the heat is on. I do like his idea that F1 needs high revving loud engines again though, that’s the truth.
All this shit talking about Hamilton being lucky to be in the fastest car is such uneducated junk. The people saying that are the one’s who only read the headlines and don’t actually watch the 300km race. Ten second penalty and you still win? That’s amazing. Closing in on 100 wins? Best ever. I’m so glad he signed on for a few more years as I hope he fucking schools Red Bull and that dopey little twerp Verstappen. I’m the guy that likes to see the quickest guy on the day win and typically F1 does that. It’s often a snoozefest but I keep on watching.
Thanks for reading to the end and either agreeing a little or shaking your head thinking “this cunt’s fucked in the head”. :D:rolleyes::D

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thanks for reading to the end and either agreeing a little or shaking your head thinking “this cunt’s fucked in the head”. :D:rolleyes::D
Haha! I tend to agree but also acknowledge that I have an anti-Max bias just as many have anti-Lewis biases. As you say, racing incident and Toto and Horner/Lewis and Max will always point the finger at the other and protest to the stewards etc because the fight is tight and it's part of the game when there's a lot on the line.

The level of vitriol directed at Lewis is fucking wild. Racist fuckery, the "attempted murder" BS or even the "unsportsmanlike celebration" as though the RBR wouldn't have been spraying champagne if it had gone the other way? Yawn, give us a fucking break.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Move along 00.00098 of a second and there;’s Lewis still on his line.
trouble is lewis was understeering and a long way off the apex. it was a dive bomb worthy of my video game efforts. Max was over the top before but I cant see this as anything other than lewis's fault.

The antics of the teams after were comical. emails and radio calls in the middle of the race. not sure how I feel about teams being allowed repairs under a red flag, the rules have been in place for ages so thats good luck for some, but it is a pause in the race, not a replay.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
trouble is lewis was understeering and a long way off the apex. it was a dive bomb worthy of my video game efforts. Max was over the top before but I cant see this as anything other than lewis's fault.

The antics of the teams after were comical. emails and radio calls in the middle of the race. not sure how I feel about teams being allowed repairs under a red flag, the rules have been in place for ages so thats good luck for some, but it is a pause in the race, not a replay.
Nah, Lewis was a bit wide of the apex but it was no dive bomb. As for it being unsafe to pull a move like that on Copse (as Christian Horner was bleating about), he went and did it again when he took the lead from Charles Leclerc only without incident.

I’m with you on the red flag shenanigans though. There should be no meddling with the car during that period. If a team wants to make repairs, it should be done after the restart.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I
It wasn’t until today that I realised that I have a little emotion behind it because I absolutely hate Red Bull Racing in F1. Early days after the Jaguar takeover were pretty cool and seeing them get momentum was great for the sport. Vettel’s 2010 championship was a pretty flash result and a really good season of racing. Webber’s chance at that championship blew out when he binned it in Korea so that blew the points wide open for all. The next couple of years were fun too but 2013 when Pirelli changed their tyre design to change wear patterns and it affected Red Bull’s dominance as their car didn’t suit it. They had a massive fucking cry and had the tyres changed back to what they were and we got the same results as previously seen. During all of these winning years, we had Helmut Marko ranting every chance he got. Who in the actual what the fuck is he? Why does he get any media? He’s a fucking straight-up clone of Hitler! I cannot stand that dickhead and is stupidly unrealistic opinions. He’s an arsehat. Christian Horner? Seems like he runs a pretty good ship but also spews some pretty dumb shit when the heat is on. I do like his idea that F1 needs high revving loud engines again though, that’s the truth.
Yes, I find the emotional outbursts of Horner et al over the last 10 years to be most tiresome and I too wish they could be as stoic and gentlemanly with nary a hint of complaint to the FIA as the Scuderia have been over the last 70. ;)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I enjoyed that.

Marko has is and always will be a nasty flog, he was irritating when he used to back Vettel over Webber every single fucking time even when Vettel was clearly at fault (which was also every time), and he hasn't improved.
Horner's all mouth no trousers, loves talking big but couldn't control Vettel for shit back in the day. Relationship with Verstappen is probably the same. And yes Verstappen is a complete tool who unfortunately also happens to be a sensationally good driver.

Having said all that, I still want RBR to win this year. Be great for the sport to get a new winner and a great send off for Honda after all their efforts and shit they've copped in the Turbo V6 era.

As for the Verstappen / Hamilton relationship, I wouldn't bet against them taking each other out next race. The emotions will be strong.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I am both anti-Lewis and anti-Max, I wanted to see it as a racing incident but Lewis was driving with aggressive desperation and even almost caused contact before he spun Max out. He was racing to protect his ego and the celebrations just proved it. It wasn't a matter of "I've won at my home race", it was a "I can beat Max, I'm not past it yet".

I fail to see how he could have made the corner and left room for two side by side, and there's no way, and he would have known, that Max wasn't going to yield when he was ahead.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I am both anti-Lewis and anti-Max, I wanted to see it as a racing incident but Lewis was driving with aggressive desperation and even almost caused contact before he spun Max out. He was racing to protect his ego and the celebrations just proved it. It wasn't a matter of "I've won at my home race", it was a "I can beat Max, I'm not past it yet".

I fail to see how he could have made the corner and left room for two side by side, and there's no way, and he would have known, that Max wasn't going to yield when he was ahead.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I love how his reasoning is an eloquent version of "if you ain't first, you're last!"

In fairness to the GOAT, Prost was an absolute prick and would use underhanded tactics at any opportunity. Senna only got called out because he was willing to give it back at much higher speeds.

On Max vs Jos Jnr, it was clear you had 2 guys not willing to back down one bit. While it wasn't all one's fault, Max chose to turn in like he hadn't been challenged at all, as if to prove a point. IMO the only point he proved was that F1 safety has come along way, oh and also that he's still a prick.

I get why people hate Lewis off-track (although the racism shit is just plain uncool), but he's probably been one of the cleanest champions the sport's ever had. Not perfect, but then who is.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I get why people hate Lewis off-track (although the racism shit is just plain uncool), but he's probably been one of the cleanest champions the sport's ever had. Not perfect, but then who is.
Easy to be clean when 80% of your wins have been half a lap clear of the field...

I think he's starting to prove how much he's come to expect to win, and now he can't stand the fact that he's been challenged. I'm predicting he'll cause more of this in the rest of the season.

Compare the pair.
Max wins clean races back to back in Austria with a huge crowd cheering for him in Race 2. Calmly waves at the crowd, thanks them for support.
Lewis wins his home race after a (lets call it 50-50) tussle with Max, sending him off into barriers. Admittedly drives like the champ he is to win. Carries on like a massive TWAT post race.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I think he's starting to prove how much he's come to expect to win, and now he can't stand the fact that he's been challenged.
It's called being competitive. The only drivers who aren't tend to be in Uber rather than Formula One.

As for clean driving? That incident between Verstappen and Hamilton was practically them giving each other backrubs compared to the deliberate ramming antics of Senna on Prost and Schumacher on Hill.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Carries on like a massive TWAT post race.
There it is, right there. Yes he carries on, but that has no bearing on how he conducts himself on-track. A personal dislike of him shouldn't mean that he gets dragged over the coals for racing hard, when the like of Verstappen and Schumacher seem to get free passes because that's "who they are". How soon we forget Vettel, the second coming's double move on Danny in Baku. He'll never be a saint, and is a good chance of being the next Schumi. Given how good the 2022 cars look, I don't want a reason to tune out, but an unchecked ego that size would be a good one :(

smaj

Likes Dirt
Vettel is a massive petulant chode who needed double diffusers to win anything, and can sustain less pressure than a marshmallow. And yet people seem to like and support him. No comprendo
Me neither, and I am one of those people who hated him during the RB days, and now has a soft spot for him. Can't explain it. Probably this will change if he starts winning again?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Me neither, and I am one of those people who hated him during the RB days, and now has a soft spot for him. Can't explain it. Probably this will change if he starts winning again?
I think age has a lot to do with it. I used to hate Fernando Alonso with a passion yet I followed his excursions into the Indy 500 and Dakar Rally and was chuffed to bits when he came back to the sport.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think age has a lot to do with it. I used to hate Fernando Alonso with a passion yet I followed his excursions into the Indy 500 and Dakar Rally and was chuffed to bits when he came back to the sport.
You hate Fernando? I never knew this, explains a few things though. ;)

Without quoting who said it, I don't think Vertsappen is any better than other dudes out there. He doesn't do anything spectacularly well and doesn't strike me as the kind of driver that'll amount to much. I hope he's never world champ, that'd be a blemish on the sport.