Formula One world championship

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Without doubt Lewis is a special driver but George showed how much of his dominance is the car which puts Bottas performances into perspective.
There's still a consistency thing with Hamilton though that's undeniable. Bottas is clearly championship material if Lewis wasn't there, but when Hamilton is on the grid he just doesn't fuck up. The guy has had like one DNF in the last four seasons, including finishing with a blown tyre etc etc.

Once Lewis retires though it'll be awesome, the Verstappen/Russell/Leclerc/Sainz/Norris/Gasly dynamic should be a lot of fun.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There's still a consistency thing with Hamilton though that's undeniable. Bottas is clearly championship material if Lewis wasn't there, but when Hamilton is on the grid he just doesn't fuck up. The guy has had like one DNF in the last four seasons, including finishing with a blown tyre etc etc.

Once Lewis retires though it'll be awesome, the Verstappen/Russell/Leclerc/Sainz/Norris/Gasly dynamic should be a lot of fun.
Not sure how you put Gasly in that group.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Not sure how you put Gasly in that group.
Ahaha I did say fun. Definitely there's a spectrum of quality, I more meant there's a good pool of early-mid 20s talent which collectively bodes well for racing post-Hamilton. That said, if Kimi is anything to go by, Lewis could be around for a while yet hah

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
He does have a "unique" series of facial expressions..
Why the Max hate?
I don't mind him, which puts me in a minority of one amongst my F1 obsessed mates who fucking haaaate him. I think he's a sensationally good driver, easily one of the best on the current grid who makes far less mistakes than he used to. That's the good bit. The bad bit is the 900 odd incidents / crashes with other drivers that have either been mostly or entirely his fault over the years, and that he has come across as a complete twat in every interview I've seen him in.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Things I want to see this season:
  1. Perez beats Verstappen.
  2. Someone punches Verstappen
  3. Verstappen DNF's every race.
  4. Dan wins races.
  5. Ferrari don't fuck Sainz over.
  6. The world stops writing Lewis Hamilton off based purely on what the media says about him giving punters the impression the guy isn't what he is. The guy is a fucking lad, he loves planet earth and gives a ton of fucks about what goes on in the world. He's also the best driver on the grid (that's why he's in one of the fastest cars, der). I absolutely don't understand the hatred towards him; you all expect the big hitters in world sport to be robotic cocks like Schumacher? Pfft, he's all class and he deserves every accolade he earns. He'll be the winningest driver ever and it'll be a long time before anyone goes near the guy's success.
  7. 3) Verstappen DNF's every race.
  8. The rule makers admit that car racing has almost no relevance to what car's you and I buy and they make it super cool by making it loud and look good again. Lets get V10's back, high revs (20,000rpm minimum), tidy body work etc etc.
  9. The Australian Grand Prix goes ahead in full flight with fans and no COVID bullshit.
  10. Grosjean gets his license removed for all the colossal fucking crashes he caused and never drives an INDYCAR race. It's a total farce that that jerk has a drive in anything and stupidly sadly fitting that his last F1 race ended with him on fire.
  11. We see more cool race results from first time winners (think Gasly, Russell, Sainz etc etc). That's always super cool to see.
Great list. I was indifferent on Lewis until i saw him on the David Letterman show ‘My next guest needs no introduction’. It was great to learn a bit about how he and his dad went about it back in the day. There basically wanted to spend time together when Lewis was a kid so went karting with no cash and no idea but gave it their all. Instead of being cautious and braking early at first then pushing deeper and deeper as his confidence grew, Lewis would just go past everyone else braking point and stuff it into the corner. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t and he would dial it back a metre or so.

I reckon the saying is mostly true that you can only be what you see but Lewis totally paved the way for kids of colour to turn up at tracks and go karting. I’m a fan now.

Still want Dan to win though. Anyone that can take the piss and do a shoey on the podium is a winner in my book.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just watching drive to survive season 3.

2 episodes in, Christian Horner and the fat loud Stroll bloke are still pretty much total garbage humans and Valterri Bottas is a legend.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Just watching drive to survive season 3.

2 episodes in, Christian Horner and the fat loud Stroll bloke are still pretty much total garbage humans and Valterri Bottas is a legend.
Also watched the first two episodes last night. I still see why die hard fans won't like the series but I did.

Horner seems to have toned down the arrogance a bit compared to previous seasons but it's still obvious af how much he rates himself. Toto Wolf is way cooler. Also sounds like Arnie.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Any interest in pre-season testing?

I got in late, but Mercedes were either a) not ready, b) sandbagging or c) maybe slightly off their usual impervious pace. Interesting considering I'd almost put money (at shit odds) on Hamilton wiping out another championship, saying ta thanks I got a near clean sweep of the current generation regs now I'm retiring.

Fuck it'd be awesome if Mclaren's test pace wasn't a fluke... new Merc engines have slotted in without breaking sweat and Riccardo looked very comfortable.
i have to think it has something to do with the drivers getting used to not DAS anymore and having to get used to different downforce. The mercedes drivers and team have the most to change with these new regulations.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Unless he messes up the start I reckon Verstappen's got this tonight. Honda seems to be able to take the fight to Mercedes and putting 3/10ths into a hard charging Hamilton for pole is not f***ing around.

Top 7 qualifiers all within one second of pole too..... Might actually be a competitive season! Alpha Tauri for dark horse.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Alpha Tauri are going to be interesting to watch, Tsunoda has no fucks to give. Merc won't hang around, bet they are already working on something that lets them put more rake on.

Last edited: