Fork seals

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Got some unexpected free time this weekend, so decided to service my forks. Problem is I need to seat the new oil seals and can't find d anything to do it with. Don't have a socket with a big enough diameter and I'm trying to resist the urge to chop some pvc out of the plumbing. Any ideas?

T-Rex

Template denier
Depends on the fork diameter obviously, I have a collection of PVC pipe off cuts of various sizes I have scrounged over the years.

A small Vegemite jar is about right for a 32mm, remembering you are just seating it by hand, not bashing it with a hammer.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Depends on the fork diameter obviously, I have a collection of PVC pipe off cuts of various sizes I have scrounged over the years.

A small Vegemite jar is about right for a 32mm, remembering you are just seating it by hand, not bashing it with a hammer.
32mm. I know, tried pushing them in by hand but can't get enough leverage with my dainty little digits. And unOstralaian as it is Vegemite makes me puke.

gregp

Likes Dirt
What brand are the forks? I have the dedicated tool from RockShox and even with that I found it a bitch of a job. Had to get the mallet out to get the seals to move that last 1mm, so I don't know how that would work with a Vegemite jar.... I highly recommend the tool for your next CRC order. It's made of very dense plastic and it kept its shape 100% despite all the hammering. Only thing, I had to remove those steel spring "o-rings" that hug the seals on the outside (or whatever you call those things) for the tool to fit on the seal without too much pushing force.

jacko69

Likes Dirt
I used a roll of electrical tape last time sucessfully (it had a thick inner carboard roll). However I have got some pvc piping for next time.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
What brand are the forks? I have the dedicated tool from RockShox and even with that I found it a bitch of a job. Had to get the mallet out to get the seals to move that last 1mm, so I don't know how that would work with a Vegemite jar.... I highly recommend the tool for your next CRC order. It's made of very dense plastic and it kept its shape 100% despite all the hammering. Only thing, I had to remove those steel spring "o-rings" that hug the seals on the outside (or whatever you call those things) for the tool to fit on the seal without too much pushing force.

Rocks Shox Pike. Might run an alloy one up on the lathe at work if I ever get time.

Old external bottom bracket cup with the bearing removed for 32mm forks.
Will give this a whirl in the morning. Cheers.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A 1.125" headset cup works really well for pushing in 32mm dust wipers. Might get the job done with oil seals too if the cups are deep enough.
And a "swiss" pill bottle is the perfect size for fox 40 dust wipers...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I used my fingers to do the last set - RS 32mm seals into some Recon lowers. Found it to be fairly easy...:wave:

houli77

Likes Dirt
I used a roll of electrical tape last time sucessfully (it had a thick inner carboard roll). However I have got some pvc piping for next time.
i did the exact same thing with elect tape and rubber mallet worked a treat.. just rolled off enough tape so it fit on 35mm boxxers, the inner cardboard was spot on.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I need a couple of sets of fork seal kits for the 2 damaged forks I have.

1 x 2020 Lyrik and 1 x 2020 Pike.

Also looks like the Pike and Lyrik need different seals.

I can seen MTBD and NSD have stock, is there anywhere else burners are buying seal kits from ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cheers !

I'll just go with NSD, they got back to me straight away AND with good advice too... as usual.

There are 35mm standard seals for Rockshox and then there are 35mm Pike seals.

The Pike seals are flangeless and the regular seals have flanges.

The seals with flanges fit Pike, Lyrik and 35mm SID's.

He said if I dont have a 35mm seal driver, fit the standard 35mm to the Pikes as well as they are easier fitted.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DIY MTB aren't bad either.

Antiquated ordering process but stock every variety of Enduro and Racing Bros seals.