Fork Oil questions and queries.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using Supergliss 68k as bath oil in SIDs and will vouch that it definitely makes a difference, much smoother. Opted for 68k as temps in Tassie are <22°c for most of the time I ride, and down to 5°c isn't uncommon over Autum-Spring.

I have a 1L bottle if anyone wants to buy some, will need to figure out where to get little bottles though.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Was kind of hoping Dougal answers with Supergliss 100 as he rates that higher than Gold.

I have a 1L bottle of Fox Gold here too.

Thanks !
This is the thread

Couldn't find if Dougal recommend Fox Gold but quite a few people use it and it's within spec for the lowers. I'm using it and they are noticeably smoother now. Don't use RS Oil as the additive will swell the seals, also one of the oils starting with M is the same as RS so check carefully.

TLDR - Bottom of page 3 Dougal says use Supergliss.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This is the thread
Legend ! I'm usually very good at finding info on the net... just done the last nightshift so things get vague.

It seems the go to lower leg oil if the temperature allows is SG100 and the Motorex 2.5 for dampers on nearly every fork.

Makes shit so much easier.

I have it in a Fox 32 factory & 34 Rhythm. RS Pike, Lyrik and my 35mm SID.
Add DVO Onxy to the list.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have Fox green, red and float fluid here. I've used it but can't remember what for.

Have only ever done about 2 damper services.

I don't have 2.5 Motorex but may buy some.
I have only bought the original Fox fluids too. There seems to be a few substitutes or the Torco which I've read is rebadged as Fox green.

A litre of Fox green goes a long way anyhow.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I used Maxima Racing fork fluid 15wt in my Fox 36 Van years ago. That fork needed red for the damper and green for the legs.

I used the 15wt maxima for both. Worked well.
I have only bought the original Fox fluids too. There seems to be a few substitutes or the Torco which I've read is rebadged as Fox green.

Don't use Maxima or Rockshox in DVO products as it will swell the seals.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Gold too, will probably outlast me now I use SG100.

A few of the German bike shops sell Motorex, fluids galore but no 2.5w. They do have SG100 cheap.

Dougal at shockcraft has everything and not too bad a price. 2.5wt, 4wt, 5wt, 7.5wt, 10wt, 15wt and the other Supergliss grades, 100k 68k and 32k.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Don't use Maxima or Rockshox in DVO products as it will swell the seals.
Have definitely heard of this before.

Makes me wonder what is special about DVO (and possibly SR Suntour) seals that causes swelling where in all other forks those oils/fluids don't...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Have definitely heard of this before.

Makes me wonder what is special about DVO (and possibly SR Suntour) seals that causes swelling where in all other forks those oils/fluids don't...
The RS and Maxima products have additives in them that get into the seals and stop them drying out. Seals that are designed for the additives are fine but seals that aren't swell up to much. I don't think it's a quality thing more just different compounds for the seals.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

A few of the German bike shops sell Motorex, fluids galore but no 2.5w. They do have SG100 cheap.

Dougal at shockcraft has everything and not too bad a price. 2.5wt, 4wt, 5wt, 7.5wt, 10wt, 15wt and the other Supergliss grades, 100k 68k and 32k.
Dougal might be the best option.

Shipping fork oil for Germany makes me want to find something in a local moto shop instead.
We love our Germans but surely there is already something closer and hiding away in plain sight but rebadged.

ozzybmx

Dougal might be the best option.

Shipping fork oil for Germany makes me want to find something in a local moto shop instead.
We love our Germans but surely there is already something closer and hiding away in plain sight but rebadged.
May have 'Aussie' tax for the rebadging, then covid tax as its currently the cool thing to do... sounds expensive.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

I picked up 1L of motorex 2.5 from the local moto shop for $30. Google motorex and Adelaide and it usually brings up the local distro.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
The RS and Maxima products have additives in them that get into the seals and stop them drying out. Seals that are designed for the additives are fine but seals that aren't swell up to much. I don't think it's a quality thing more just different compounds for the seals.
Yeah that's what I was getting at, not different quality, but different materials.

At my work we spec o-rings and gaskets to suit the product/substance they are in contact with.

Just wonder what the reasoning behind the different seal material is?

Better performance?

Cheaper?

It must be something along those lines, just rubber curious I guess...

ozzybmx

AliExpress needs to get into the fork oil market.
@Mr Crudley this is the first time I have thought about how much I care about fakeness :oops:

Chi cleats - will work until they dont

Chi Dharco jersey - 90% there

Chi presta valves - probably real

Chi ZTTO cassette - Sunrace quality...

Chi suspension oil :rolleyes: 10ml of magical goodness that can ruin your whole ride, possibly a $1500 fork and may cause a serious crash.

I am feeling this little teaspoon of slimey liquid has made me draw a line :p

Last edited: