Fork Oil questions and queries.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Thanks everyone for the advice :)
did stuff* to new 36 Rhythm, and they are truly transformed! from wooden and harsh, to smoooth (ed: "for a rhythm" ;) )
little to no initial stiction and much more slipperyness, is very supple off the top now.

*supergliss100K on air side + Slickoleum on the piston. minus 2 tokens (1 left) and added 10psi..
Damper cartridge still filled with Fox5wt, but leg has Motorex 2.5wt. may thicken up damper later as not much adjustment in it.
The dust seals had a little bit of stiff/sticky clear grease that didn't touch the stanchions at all, now filled with slickoluem.

FWIW I now use 2.5wt Motorex Racing Fork oil on every fork. I was using a 50:50 mixture of Fox Gold and 100K supergliss but this other stuff is lighter and seems to work well if you keep on top of lower leg services, plus works well with open dampers.
the motorex 2.5wt is very low friction, but pretty thin.
Maybe Fox adds the PTFE to theirs to help protect bushings with boundary layer thickness?

Wondering if putting some 100K between the bushings on both sides will stay there for a while and help them?

Last edited:

safreek

Hey guys, when I do the valvecore on my rp23 could I drain the small amount of oil out of the valve and just squirt 1 or 2 ml of fork oil into it. I'm led to believe it's just for lube and not for anything else compression wise. Thanks

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
did stuff* to new 36 Rhythm, and they are truly transformed! from wooden and harsh, to smoooth (ed: "for a rhythm" ;) )
little to no initial stiction and much more slipperyness, is very supple off the top now.

*supergliss100K on air side + Slickoleum on the piston. minus 2 tokens (1 left) and added 10psi..
Damper cartridge still filled with Fox5wt, but leg has Motorex 2.5wt. may thicken up damper later as not much adjustment in it.
The dust seals had a little bit of stiff/sticky clear grease that didn't touch the stanchions at all, now filled with slickoluem.

Maybe Fox adds the PTFE to theirs to help protect bushings with boundary layer thickness?

Wondering if putting some 100K between the bushings on both sides will stay there for a while and help them?
This is what I did to get rid of wooden and harsh feeling, to smooth it out and keep it sit up more in the initial travel(stop that excess diving) on my Fox 36 grip2 VVC. First changed/ got rid of the excess grease on air piston and changed the oil to supergliss and Motorex 2.5wt in the lowers. That improved it. Then I put a Vorsprung Luftkappe air pistion kit on that improved it even more. Then while doing a full service i swapped out the shim kit with Fox Tune Update Kit (shim kit) for GRIP2 2024 and changed out the Fox 5wt oil for Motrex 2.5wt oil in the damper. That improved it even more. Now I am happy with my Fox 36 fork.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hey guys, when I do the valvecore on my rp23 could I drain the small amount of oil out of the valve and just squirt 1 or 2 ml of fork oil into it. I'm led to believe it's just for lube and not for anything else compression wise. Thanks
Oh, never had the need to change the valve core on an RP23. i'm sure someone else will pop up an enlighten us.

safreek

Oh, never had the need to change the valve core on an RP23. i'm sure someone else will pop up an enlighten us.
Probably not, this is me we are talking about:)
Well I went ahead and pulled the core and got one out of a bike tube, perfect and holding air. I didn't put oil in, probably better to have the old oil in than incorrect oil.

Finally going to get the belair for a ride tomorrow

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
This is what I did to get rid of wooden and harsh feeling, to smooth it out and keep it sit up more in the initial travel(stop that excess diving) on my Fox 36 grip2 VVC. First changed/ got rid of the excess grease on air piston and changed the oil to supergliss and Motorex 2.5wt in the lowers. That improved it. Then I put a Vorsprung Luftkappe air pistion kit on that improved it even more. Then while doing a full service i swapped out the shim kit with Fox Tune Update Kit (shim kit) for GRIP2 2024 and changed out the Fox 5wt oil for Motrex 2.5wt oil in the damper. That improved it even more. Now I am happy with my Fox 36 fork.
Seems like a lot of stuffing around to get a top of the line fork performing well.

With my 34 Factory Grip2 with the same issues I simply removed from bike, put in trash and installed manitou mattoc.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Seems like a lot of stuffing around to get a top of the line fork performing well.

With my 34 Factory Grip2 with the same issues I simply removed from bike, put in trash and installed manitou mattoc.
Yep that's what I thought. I think Fox and RS are over rated. But hey I spent $260 and a couple hours of work I think far better than $1600 for a new fork.

Plus the Fox 36 is not that hard to service ( both lowers and full service) Each to their own.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Yep that's what I thought. I think Fox and RS are over rated. But hey I spent $260 and a couple hours of work I think far better than $1600 for a new fork.

Plus the Fox 36 is not that hard to service ( both lowers and full service) Each to their own.
It’s disappointing isn’t it. The grip 2 factory especially seem to be very inconsistent. I think I’ve had more luck with the lower end grip fox stuff.

You really do have to take the “professional” reviews with a big, big grain of salt

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

I've tried a few Supergliss mixes, with Fox Gold and Motorex 2.5.

The Shockcraft bloke has his own theory about Fox adding PTFE to oil, some believe him, some don't.

Its good to experiment, no point sticking to the 'proper oil' and having a shit feeling fork.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check on the

Check on that damper leg soon.
Grip damper circulates the oil, so your fox5wt is going to mix with your motorex 2.5wt.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Check on the

Check on that damper leg soon.
Grip damper circulates the oil, so your fox5wt is going to mix with your motorex 2.5wt.
Yup, read somewhere it's at a rate of 5mls per 125hrs, so not fast.

If it gets faster, will purge and fill with 5wt Motorex. If gets slower, will purge and fill with 5wt Motorex :)

(Currently reb only 3-4 clicks out of 20 do anything)