Floods in VIC - everyone ok?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
NSW manages the river in your little part of the world but most of the gauges are run by Victoria...major exception is Curlwaa. All the data from the key (remotely accessed) stations along the Murray and the tributaries are loaded in real-time up to the BoM and the data is accessible through there. NSW has its own data website as well that typically includes the conversion table to go from river height to Ml/day (BoM doesn't provide this). Best bet is to try and get in touch with the regional hydrographer on the NSW side via the office at Buronga. If there's a hydrologist they'll be in Albury or even Sydney.

No matter what...the State 'authorities' can't hide river data. The Federal Water Act simply doesn't allow them to do it and neither do their internal systems. The only way they can hide it is to not have it in the first place and there is an awful lot of that happening given how much it costs to establish and operate a river gauging station...

Failing all that...if you have any specific questions then DM me and I'll do what I can to help...
Cheers! I'll have a chat to Jezza too, we shared a camp in Melrose, they're good people, he'll tell me what he knows.

In the meantime, the river is full!

There's a track at the base of the cliff that leads to a little beach. It's currently under that dark patch of water.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
How's everyone getting on after the latest deluge?

The creek near me is up nearly 1m higher than the peak last week. Quite a lot more water is flowing through now.

cammas

Seamstress
The road from Bacchus to Geelong is closed due to flooding, the road has the spaghetti wire down the middle of the road and a couple apparently couldn’t turn around safely so they decided to drive through the water luckily they got through it but by their account they crapped themselves.
They’ve closed the You Yangs at 9am, luckily I made the call to my mate at 7am to can today’s ride, currently raining again.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Melbourne has some crazy random floods. Anyone remember the 2010(?) ones? I was at southern cross station on that day waiting for the skybus to the airport when it started getting bad.
The bus still left but within a few min there was water seeping in through the side door, looking out the window there were cars half under water and fucking hailstone icebergs floating around! And this was around north/west melb before we'd even left the city

we somehow made it to the airport - all cheered the driver.. then kinda realised that the airport had been smashed too so all the flights were delayed by like 6+hrs!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Drove to Ballarat late yesterday, came upon huge flows of water across the road from a storm that had just passed. Rocks, dirt and bush litter had washed across the Highway.

Few km up the road, red p plate driver has tangled the car up in the centre median strip rope safety barrier, taken out the best part of 100 meters of barrier poles.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Few km up the road, red p plate driver has tangled the car up in the centre median strip rope safety barrier, taken out the best part of 100 meters of barrier poles.
I just can't help but imagine a lowered V6 Commodore, probably with 18's on the front and stockies on the back. Bonus points if it is a VR-onwards Commodore but has VN/VP 14" stockies on the back.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I just can't help but imagine a lowered V6 Commodore, probably with 18's on the front and stickies on the back. Bonus points if it is a VR-onwards Commodore but has VN/VP 14" stickies on the back.
BMW E87 118i from what I could tell, might have been a gen2 F20, was quite mangled, looked like it got under the wires at some point in it’s wild ride.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Damage mitigation. MTB club have just taken over a storage shed from the now defunct Triathlon club.

The official word from both councils is the shed should stay dry, just. The stories I'm hearing from upstream and the historical data I've been reading from the last big flood say otherwise.

We've taken out all the valuable gear to be safe.

20221022_114152-01.png

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Damage mitigation. MTB club have just taken over a storage shed from the now defunct Triathlon club.

The official word from both councils is the shed should stay dry, just. The stories I'm hearing from upstream and the historical data I've been reading from the last big flood say otherwise.

View attachment 393702
Better safe than soggy.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

View attachment 393702
Good score...and good plan. I wouldn't rely on council 'assurances', even at this early stage. Really, for you lot, it all depends on the timing of the 'bidgee...keep an eye on SA Water pronouncements for the Riverland over the next couple of months.