Flat Earth, religion, exBurner, roadie hate, alien existence, mushrooms and badgers thread

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Has anyone ever com across a flat earther?
Until recently I’d only ever seen dodgy YouTube videos about the subject but I actually met one the other day.
His opinion comes from a religious aspect and he has well gone down that rabbit hole a long time ago and hasn’t come back out.
It was funny when he told me about the dome and the theory the their had to be a dome or “firmament“ because you can’t have a pressure (atmospheric pressure) next to a vacuum.
Why I asked him how come the air pressure decreases the higher you go up and if we were in a sealed container the pressure would be equal everywhere he couldn’t answer it.
He was still convinced there was a dome though. :p

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm on the fence on flat earth debate.

One part of me thinks there is a genuine possibility that people this stupid exist, the anti Vax movement is a good indicator of how dumb we can be. On the other hand I think flat earth possibly goes a step too far to realistically believe it could be anything more than a giant troll.

It's vexing.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Read a good article a few years ago that profiled a few flat earthers. They were lawyers, doctors etc and considered very intelligent in their fields. The article interviewed psychologists about it and they basically said it came from a need to be contrarian - they believe what they’re saying but it’s just these psychological aspects of their personality fuelling their confirmation bias.

I employed a flat earther once and it was a similar thing. They were perfectly normal in every other way.

Stredda

Read a good article a few years ago that profiled a few flat earthers. They were lawyers, doctors etc and considered very intelligent in their fields. The article interviewed psychologists about it and they basically said it came from a need to be contrarian - they believe what they’re saying but it’s just these psychological aspects of their personality fuelling their confirmation bias.

I employed a flat earther once and it was a similar thing. They were perfectly normal in every other way.
Yes, this guy I had known for a while but had no idea he was a flat earther, his belief seemed genuine enough.

I feel that like a lot of the conspiracy theorists, whether it be flat earth, Qanon, and such, it seems to come from the feeling of being part of something that the majority aren't and that they know the real "truth".

Stredda

The seem to have a very vague explanation for everything. I thing some of it comes from distrust in the "government" and since all education is supposedly (though not really) provided by the government they don't trust it. Then they fall back on what they can see and to the layperson it seem totally logical that water always finds a level, so how can it wrap around a ball, they can't actually see the earth curve. They have never left their home state so they can't grasp the concept of the size of the earth.
Fun to make them try to explain some of the concepts though :p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Discs can overlap man!
At least we have moved up from rectangles and squares. When do boats and planes have to do 90 degree turns to travel the flattish earth.

Galileo, Copernicus and Kepler etc must be laughing with arses off or crying with sorrow since pockets of society still don't seem to get it after a few hundred years of discovery.

It is nuts and I'm more inclined to believe that is an elaborate internet pisstake.

moorey

call me Mia
It is nuts and I'm more inclined to believe that is an elaborate internet pisstake.
Maybe like Qanon. Started as a bit of fun, picked up and run with by gullible and impressionable people who KNOW it’s true but how much the gummint and science refute it.

Stredda

I really do think that quite a large amount of these people do believe this because a lot of concepts are not easily explained in layman's terms.
I also know a few doctors and an optometrist that are very smart people but when it comes to practical things they are bloody hopeless.
I've seen people share stuff on Facebook about the corona virus whether it be mask wearing, the vaccine or the effectivity of lockdowns that seem plausible, but if you looked into it properly is totally full of holes.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Maybe like Qanon. Started as a bit of fun, picked up and run with by gullible and impressionable people who KNOW it’s true but how much the gummint and science refute it.
Like dealing with perpetual motion (or over unity) people, there's always the argument that the reason they can't find any evidence of working machines is that big oil suppresses all the successful development, and not that it just doesn't fucking work.
I really do think that quite a large amount of these people do believe this because a lot of concepts are not easily explained in layman's terms.
I also know a few doctors and an optometrist that are very smart people but when it comes to practical things they are bloody hopeless.
I've seen people share stuff on Facebook about the corona virus whether it be mask wearing, the vaccine or the effectivity of lockdowns that seem plausible, but if you looked into it properly is totally full of holes.
Technology of sufficient capability is indistinguishable from magic to a fair proportion of the population. No surprises then that a lot of people don't get it.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Flat earth? You mean...the spots that were designed to have dirt jumps built on them?
Not according to Central Coast council :mad:

The thing that gets me with the conspiratorial types is I get the logical conclusion of the others;

"Ah-hah! Busted! No 5g/Bill Gates in my system thank you!" etc...

But what do the flat earthers want? For "the man"/the "discs in space" cabal to magically re-sphericalise the Earth? It's honestly the least sensical tin-foil hat society, which does make its chances of being a giant pisstake high.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Could very well be. The internet has a knack of bringing like minded people together and letting them reinforce whatever they like to believe.
Back to the ye olde 1600's we go in some areas.

moorey

call me Mia
Not according to Central Coast council :mad:

The thing that gets me with the conspiratorial types is I get the logical conclusion of the others;

"Ah-hah! Busted! No 5g/Bill Gates in my system thank you!" etc...

But what do the flat earthers want? For "the man"/the "discs in space" cabal to magically re-sphericalise the Earth? It's honestly the least sensical tin-foil hat society, which does make its chances of being a giant pisstake high.
It's born originally out of fundamental christian beliefs of a literal bible translation. If the bible says so, nothing science says can override that.
It's grown into something other than that for 98% of people, with the majority being contrarian, gullible, conspiratorial or a combination thereof.

Stredda

It's born originally out of fundamental christian beliefs of a literal bible translation. If the bible says so, nothing science says can override that.
It's grown into something other than that for 98% of people, with the majority being contrarian, gullible, conspiratorial or a combination thereof.
Yes, you can't argue with the Bible. It's full of contradictions and people pick and choose to suit their narrative and if the Bible said to all go jump off a very high cliff they all would, unless it once again didn't suit their narrative ;)