Flash Bike slow rider!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I never care how flash someone's rig is or how fast/slow they are, we're all riders and at the end of the day we ride because we love it, not because we have a better ride/are faster than anyone else. Besides as long as I get to stare in wonder at the dream bike I don't care :p

Bermshot

Banned
If a youngling shows up at the trail and they have a "crapper" do you think I'm concerned about their bike? Of course I am, is everything set, do the brakes work? and so forth. Brand care no. Same as above, I have a "good" bike because I care and the better prepped the more confidant I can ride. Does this come with age?

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
If a youngling shows up at the trail and they have a "crapper" do you think I'm concerned about their bike? Of course I am, is everything set, do the brakes work? and so forth. Brand care no. Same as above, I have a "good" bike because I care and the better prepped the more confidant I can ride. Does this come with age?
I think
most of us think that way(after all a lot of us are parents) the next time i adjust or tighten something on a young persons bike probably wont be the last .you asked does this come with age ?,well usually but not always!;)

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I always get what i want, i dont care what other people think, i work hard, support my family, i have 2 houses and have paid my taxes for 27 years, i ride what i want, if somebody doesnt like it, it is there problem not mine!
I just bought the bike of my dreams( specialized stumpy Evo), i have zero guilty feelings for buying it regardless of how good or bad i am at riding, however i do get ribbed because i have always taken massive care in keeping my bike in mint condition,( it lives in my bar), but i still dont care what people think!

Funny old world isn't it... 15 years ago (before wife and kids) I didn't have to justify lashing out on a new dual suspension, I was riding every weekend rain, hail or shine and when I took that bike out it would often draw a few envious looks and comments.
Fast forward to this year when I take out that same bike it still gets a few looks and comments but the envy part has been replaced with laughter (some of that is mine it must be said) but that will do for justification (in my own mind anyway) for lashing out on a new dual suspension -

I wonder if it will last another 15 years / I wonder if I will :)

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Out on the trails the other day, 18km into a 22km ride I catch a old guy, nice bike, he lets me past and sits on my wheel. I offered a few times to let him back. No he says, he is on his second lap.
God I struggle to do one.

When I retire I want to be him. Bring on the bling, he has worked hard let him have his toys.

I have just got my first "bling" bike, $4k, it is a lot for me but I have worked hard and saved for a year. I shall have my toys. That and my son hits high school next year so I don't believe I will have another chance until I kick his ass to the curb.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yeah see stuff like this in every walk of life...

People on the golf course with $2000 cutoms fitted clubs who can't play
Fly fishermen with custom made 10' cane fly rods worth 1000's who can't cast or fish to save themselves.
Drivers driving expensive sports cars who can barely handle the power of a Hyundi Excel driving Porsche GT3's or Ferrari's or M series BMW's

Get that HD bike and ride it as best you can, as long as you enjoy it who cares....

wavike

Likes Dirt
Not too many people are silly enough to get a flash/bling bike if they are average rider. But for most with the cash an expensive bike doesn't need to be a LOOK AT ME affair. I ran into a guy out trail riding last weekend, I haven't seen for a while. New bike SC tallboy, he's a big bloke looks right for him. After a while I checked out the bike, carbon XX build, would be worth a heap. But to look at the bike no fancy colours just a good bike someone's having fun riding.
I'm due for a newee next year if I am getting the time to ride it. So has made me think it may be a gooden, seeing as I'm on the down hill run and will only get slower as the years go by.

crowash

Likes Dirt
Totally agree with comments to the tune of ride whatever the hell you like but I'd add for discussion that if you're not riding at a certain level the extra $ may be a waste of money. $5k bikes don't ride twice as good as $2.5K bikes. Mayhaps you've bought a bike with street cred and then feel bad because you can't live up to its rep???

2niner

Cannon Fodder
One of the benefits of being an older rider is, I can go riding when ever I like. So I mostly ride during the week when the younger people are working and the kiddies are in school. I almost get the whole Forrest to myself. Typically a few like minded older riders are out there, but once back in the Forrest you don't see anyone. It's a great feeling just cruising the trails at your own pace, no one chasing you down. I can ride for hour in total peace and harmony, it's very relaxing, I love it!

dunndog

Eats Squid
So has made me think it may be a gooden, seeing as I'm on the down hill run and will only get slower as the years go by.
Geez man, with an outlook like that I'm surprised you haven't just retired to the couch with a block of Cadburys and the tv remote.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
If it makes them, you, me or someone else feel good to do something and it isn't hurting anyone, then I ask why not?

Good on you, or them, or whoever, another bike bought, it makes people feel good, perhaps it took you/them/anyone forever to save, a reward, or any number of (fill in your variant) reasons. But again the main point is do it I say. You’ve obviously scratched an itch by being able to ride and feeling pretty good about it so don’t have your high wrecked by what you may think people are thinking.

We see around us everyday where people have invested in something be it clothes, sporting equipment, watches, whatever else.

I am perhaps considered old(er) and I like my bikes nice, farkin nice. Re speed and ability I will say I can hold my own and then some.

My personal curse with bling goes back to the 70s and early 80s where I would walk home 10kms 3 times a week to save bus and train money so I could buy nice parts from places like PRM BMX. Now the opportunity cost is greater with family for when I look at upgrades or new toys.

I do it because I like it and it makes me feel good.

Did you ever think the younger crowd was looking at you thinking, “respect! I hope I’m able to get out and ride like that guy when I’m a bit older”.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I know when I see the kids looking at my bikes these are the thoughts they have...

'how does an old bastard like that have such a cool bike?'

'I'm heaps fasta than that old bastard' (sometimes they are right...sometimes not)

and lastly 'aww how can I get mum to buy me one of those?'

I even had a kid ask me once 'did ya mum buy it for you?'

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Who gives a shit what they think!

We have earnt it and paid our way!

Firstly I wanna say that most kids are really great, polite, but yeah, theres always that smartass little shit with something smart to say..

Its called tall poppy syndrome, the kids that show us older blokes respect, are usually the ones that LOVE mountainbiking and respect everything about it..And are generally around in the sport for many years to come.. The 1% of smartasses usually dont hang around long.. and are never to be seen again..

I surf as well, and trust me, the amount of smart ass little shits in surfing, compared to that in MTB is nothing.. Thats one of the things I love most about mountainbiking, is the friendlyness and good ettiquette of most people.. When compared to other sports, its bloody good!!!

Dont worry mate, if you love MTB, you can afford a good bike, ride what you want and how you want!

Howie

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
I know the feeling but who cares...

My thoughts are:

The reason I have a good bike is because I paid for it. It the young'ns want a good bike there's no reason they cant get a job and get one themselves - except the fact they're generally lazy arses and expect their parents to pay for it.

I remember being jealous on occasion myself when I was a kid, but I can also remember being quite a little wanker at times too if I'm honest...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Cant wait till Im 60

I have never worried about having bling and not living up to it - I could never live up to it. Bling comes and goes, like sand through the hour glass - these are the days of our lives. Bling can be brought - age cant and niether can style.

Being old give me the excuses -the youngsters look at my bike and go "nice bike" and then at me and say "fat bastard' then realise I am really old and say "oh but he is ancient" and excuse me for not wearing pants, pushing up a hill or riding a SS.

When Im 60years old they will just excuse my behavour/bikes/attitude/riding/ style as excentric. I will get away with anything - especially with the ladies.
"Oh dont worry about him, he's harmless, excentric, probably an artist, used to be famous, homeless, or just old".

Chris.D

Squid
My thoughts are:

The reason I have a good bike is because I paid for it. It the young'ns want a good bike there's no reason they cant get a job and get one themselves - except the fact they're generally lazy arses and expect their parents to pay for it.

I remember being jealous on occasion myself when I was a kid, but I can also remember being quite a little wanker at times too if I'm honest...
Ive only once bought a new bike, 3 months later I modified it with 2nd hand parts to make it just how I like. Ive looked many times a the new bikes in tye shops thinking.....hmm that would be nice to have....but I know I will modify it...so I just buy 2nd hand bikes and muck around with them :)

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think a lot of people like the look of my bike even though it is 5 years old. Better than the rider by far still though. I have a new frame in a garage I can't afford to build up yet, because I want to keep the current one and its bits. One day though. It is far more flash and up to date, but will be outdated by the time I ride it, no doubt. Whether the current one or the new one, I'll still be old to a lot of riders. I'm not sure any of it matters. Only the trail in front matters.

PLUSH1

Cannon Fodder
You only live once,might as well make it a good one,opinions are like assholes,everyone's got one,I reckon just do what makes you happy and screw what people think,go for it!