First Waltly frame

RichJS

Likes Dirt
They've stopped custom frame ordering/production until at least March (at the earliest). They say they are overbooked and need to catch up.
Do you know if Waltly are taking orders again now? I don't really see anything on their website etc. I emailed them a pricequote pdf a fortnight ago and nothing heard back since.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Do you know if Waltly are taking orders again now? I don't really see anything on their website etc. I emailed them a pricequote pdf a fortnight ago and nothing heard back since.
Hmm, that's odd. I last heard from them on the 20th, usual overnight delay. They were saying around 10 weeks at that point.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sounds like we're about to see a bunch of "limited edition" Ti frames hit the market...

RichJS

Likes Dirt
So if you have built (or just planning to build) a custom frame, particularly a Walty, what BB and headset interface did you choose from and why? I guess we've got 3 months to ponder such things - unless I start talking to XACD and they're taking orders.

BSA 73mm and ZS44/56 seem like the obvious choices - threaded BB easy to replace BBs which happen relatively often, ZS44/56 offers a range of fork sizes, headset vendors including some anglesets, strong, etc.

How about T47 BB ... Is it BSA but better? No worries about getting ISCG05 tabs around it?

IS42/52 headset .. Is it simpler but not cheaper? Worried about the frame maker not getting it right? No angleset flexibility?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
BSA 73mm and ZS44/56 seem like the obvious choices - threaded BB easy to replace BBs which happen relatively often, ZS44/56 offers a range of fork sizes, headset vendors including some anglesets, strong, etc.
Pretty much it. There is nothing wrong with 73mm threaded and different headsets do nothing for performance - stick to the basics.

IS42/52 headset .. Is it simpler but not cheaper?
I have that on the road bike but for mtb most of the stuff seems to go with larger ZS44/56. I think the ZS stuff is cheaper than the IS headsets. The other thing as well is ti wear on the hard bearings might be an issue, but on a pressed cup, you just remove the lot. Might be why they do this for mtb as it gets ridden in harsh conditions?

Basically be have been gonig backwards since the threaded BBs. Stick to threaded for metal bikes I rekon.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
T47 is good if you want to run 30mm spindle cranks and not have dicky little bearings. Not sure about ISCG compatibility though.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I went for the tapered head tube 44/56mm.

The other option they gave was 44 upper and lower. They weren't keen on the integrated headset. Never said outright that they wouldn't do it, but basically said they wouldn't do it.

Bottom bracket, doesn't really count for this frame.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I went with threaded bottom bracket and the 44mm head tube, happy with both decisions.

The straight head tube I figured would give me more options for reach adjust or angled headsets in the future if I wanted them.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
T47 is good if you want to run 30mm spindle cranks and not have dicky little bearings. Not sure about ISCG compatibility though.
I would probably be using Dub (28.999999) so T47 seems like a good idea.

Saw a page saying Engin can add iscg05 to their T47 frames so seems do-able, but maybe some gotchas?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
So what's the chance Walty make the TI frames for Titus?

Planet X dropped an email today full of every flavor of Ti framed bike.
Not sure now, when I bought my Ti Rockstar it was USA made (welded up by Lynsky), but that was before Pivot were a thing and Titus when belly up.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Well I paid my deposit at the start of February. I was told it'd be ready by end of May. Now I can't get a reply out of them at all...