First trail wheelset advice

moorey

call me Mia
That's the one I've got. But by sticking to the nearest 2mm up rule, I've never had to use it.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've always rounded up when the calculator spec's an unavailable size. I'm a gronk rider, but Felix has never had a spoke fail.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
That's the one I've got. But by sticking to the nearest 2mm up rule, I've never had to use it.

Bit like my full Chris King hub servicing tool that I bought years ago, when I had six CK hubs on my various bikes. Never had to use the bloody thing. Very nice piece of kit though. I sometimes get it out and caress it, just to feel it's quality...

moorey

call me Mia
Bit like my full Chris King hub servicing tool that I bought years ago, when I had six CK hubs on my various bikes. Never had to use the bloody thing. Very nice piece of kit though. I sometimes get it out and caress it, just to feel it's quality...
That's a pom thing, not a CK thing though....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've never heard of anything like that. Also if you're using brass nips and the spokes come up 2mm short then you can just use 14mm or 16m nipples. With brass nipples head engagement is not so critical as with alu.
Out of interest, have you ever had any dealings with the guys at Monkey Wrench in Hackett?

Flow-Rider

Burner

There's something very wrong if .6 is going to come up short, I try to use the same size spoke where there's a 1~1.2 mm difference from left to right so that the spare spokes I order with each rim I build will fit into either side.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Out of interest, have you ever had any dealings with the guys at Monkey Wrench in Hackett?
That's who I would have recommended if asked who to build a wheel in Canberra but I've only heard good things I haven't had them build one. I have had good experiences in general there but only buying consumables.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There's something very wrong if .6 is going to come up short, I try to use the same size spoke where there's a 1~1.2 mm difference from left to right so that the spare spokes I order with each rim I build will fit into either side.
Same, I'll pick an average spoke size, add 4-6 spare spokes to the order and build the whole wheel set from the same size spoke if I can get away with it.

Nearly always DT spokes and DT brass nipples, did have a good contact for cheap Sapim CX Rays a Polyax brass for a while.

Have not built a set of wheels with alu nipples since about 2012.

PJO

in me vL comy
Same, I'll pick an average spoke size, add 4-6 spare spokes to the order and build the whole wheel set from the same size spoke if I can get away with it.

Nearly always DT spokes and DT brass nipples, did have a good contact for cheap Sapim CX Rays a Polyax brass for a while.

Have not built a set of wheels with alu nipples since about 2012.
If you have flanges that are the same size then a single spoke size should service your needs. The problem is when you have mismatched flanges...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If you have flanges that are the same size then a single spoke size should service your needs. The problem is when you have mismatched flanges...
I'm a bit of creature of habit. Reckon I have built ~30+ wheelsets only using Hope hubs, DT swiss and 3 sets with Tune King Kongs.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
@The Duckmeister or @Rusty_68? You’re my go-to wheel guys. Heard this?
It's fairly common manufacturer-speak, "you can't mix other people's stuff with our stuff", but it's bullshit most of the time. The possible ground for the claim is different curvature to the washers supplied with many DT rims, but I've had wheels in with broken washers even with DT nipples....

That said, I mostly build with DT spokes & nipples regardless of rims. I've done a few builds on DT rims, and haven't found anything notably unique about them to dictate special nipples.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Use SRAM Quick link "only once".... I don't think so.
I did only use it once, after that I re-used it... many times.
Have used them for fork servicing in the past, they were great to deal with, I somewhat recall hearing that they've changed ownership since then however.

moorey

call me Mia
They break.
Quicklinks? I've got some I've many times over numerous chains, removed and refitted regularly. Admittedly, I use the SRAM branded ones less these days, as they're more of a PITA to remove without the tool than some, but still using a couple,
There's one brand I've used....maybe YBN(?) that do tend to more single use. Pin prone to popping out after a couple of uses.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They break.
In my very short time riding and using them I have had one fail. It didn't break, I actually recovered it from the trail (I was in the air/landing when it happened so had a pretty good idea where to look), it just came undone. So I write that off as user error somehow rather than a failure of the part.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well one out of many isn't too bad. I've popped a few chain pins in my time. I don't really know how though, I barely do any riding that would put much stress on the chain (in my understanding of how that might work). Most of my pedalling is around town on the flat and off road is mostly gravity assisted.