First time enduro bike - Commencal Clash

BKMad

Likes Dirt
As I have commented elsewhere I was supposed to be getting a Stanton. I wanted their switchback FS160 frame but at the time they said they couldn't do it as they couldn't get the linkages. So then I ordered a FS140 with the hope of perhaps getting FS160 linkages later. With the whole administration thing, I was still hopeful until late December when I'd had enough and raised a CC dispute and I got my money back. In the meantime, I'd already bought most of the parts so I was in the market for a frame that took a 230x65 shock and 27.5 wheels. The shock size narrowed things down a fair bit, and one of the very few available frames I could find was the Commencal Clash. The price was right, so I bought one and have now built it up using a mix of new part and old parts I had laying around.

The good:
Fantastic stability while still pretty easy to throw around.
Nice finish
Good geo
A plow machine going downhill

The not so good:
Heavy. Haven't weighed it, but would guess that its in the order of 16kg.
Suspension inefficient going uphill. I definitely need to firm up the compression for the uphills. To be fair, its not really what its made for.
Internal cable routing is completely shit. No idea how anyone can get a brake line through the holes they have in the chainstay. Cable tied it to the outside of the chainstays in the end.

Riding it:
So far I've taken it on enduro trails as well as the local XC tracks. It does both well but the XC tracks are a bit boring as it makes all the decents so easy it feels like I am going slow. It really shines on the enduro tracks. The BB is a bit lower than I am used to and I have hit the cracks (175mm) a bit more but am getting used to it and hitting them less and less. The fork I have on it is only 160mm whereas they come with a 180mm fork, so my fork has lowered the BB too. Cornering is fantastic. So much grip. Got my first ever enduro race this weekend so will see how it (and I) fare.

I wont list all the parts, but a few of the standouts are:
Marzocchi 350 NCR fork - I've had this fork for years but haven't used it for about 2 years and I'd always used it set to 140mm. Was always good but not great. Set at 160mm and a fresh service and its a different fork. That buttery Marzocchi feel is definitely there and it just plows. It does use its travel quite readily so I think I need to fiddle with the compression a bit more.

Formula Cura 4 brakes - only just bedded in but heaps of power and much better modulation than the shimano 2 pots I am used to.

DVO topaz shock - Unremarkable in that it just seems to do the job with no fuss.

Attachments