FAQ The MTB Show Podcast and general questions

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Q What is it?
A A "Radio Show" all about Mountain Biking in OZ. For the general overview on what podcasts are check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

Q How do I listen to it?
A It's an MP3 so there are a couple of different ways.
-Stream it onto your computer just by clicking it. Not the best if you are on a slow connection as it can break up and stutter.
-Right click and save as. This downloads the file (an MP3) then you can click it. The advantage is there is no waiting break up as you have it all before you listen. You can also then listen to it at your leisure. You can also automate it so it downloads automatically. All computers come with software that play mp3 audio files. For Windows it's windows media player. Just make sure you have the sound switched on.

Q How do I automate the download?
A By automating it when each new show comes out it gets downloaded. It’s a good idea if you listen to different shows to do this.

Automate with Itunes
A- Go to the itunes store and using the search tool (top right of the screen) type “the mountain bike show” once you’ve found the show. Click on the Subscribe button (it’s free).
Or simply click this address: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=262797299
Automate with a podcatcher?
If you don’t want to use iTunes then maybe something like Doppler: http://www.dopplerradio.net/?page_id=64

This is a podcast “aggregator” there are several others all free. You need to add this address so the program knows where to check for new episodes:
http://podcast.crankin.com.au/themtbshow.xml

Q: What is with the music?
A: For legal reasons we need permission to use the music. It’s an MP3 after all so we can’t just give it to you without asking the artist permission. So if you want music, let us know of sources where we can use music for free. We’ll promote the artist on the show. At the moment the best source is http://iodapromonet.com

Q: I want to help the show, what can I do?
A: The easiest way is to continue to download and give us feedback. If you download on iTunes then leave a review as people browse through there. Also tell your mates.
Other ways you can help is to review a product for us. Tell us what you liked about it, what you didn’t, what you use it for, how much you’ve paid for it and similar products you’ve ridden. If you have a microphone on your computer then click this link. You can record up to 2 minutes.
http://www.mychingo.com/recorder/record_app_JS.asp?code=11035

Q: I don’ have an MP3 player on my computer:
A: Christ! Alright here is a free one:
www.apple.com/itunes/ (this has a podcast aggregator built in).
www.winamp.com/ this is good to run on older computers.

Last edited:

preemo

Likes Dirt
Hey Travis,

I recently discovered the show and have listened to most of the previous episodes. Thought I would give you a little feedback from a new listener.

What I love about the show?
I love your interview style. You are casual and relaxed, and your interviews are more a conversation than an interview. As a result, the chat goes to some interesting places and the guests share more of themselves.

I love the music and the flexibility of the format. I can listen whenever I like and you can make the show as long or short as you need, and put it out as often (or not, apparently) as you like.

What I hate about the show?
The sound levels are eratic. I can't set a volume and go out for a ride without having to keep stopping and messing with the volume. This would have to be my biggest complaint by a country mile.

I often hear an interesting tidbit and much later find it impossible to find. For example, I remember you had some excellent advice as part of a sidetrack of an interview about how to treat cuts. Something about the nurse at the mine putting in some sort of dressing that gave the wound a structure to grow into. I had a stack recently and do you think I could find it!? Maybe a bit more detail in the show summary.

Content
I loved the interviews with Nathan Rennie (arrogant but honest), Sam Hill (what a star), your mates (good to hear the banter), Baum & Grip sport (I enjoyed the bling factor), Bangers tee-shirt interview (sweet) and MTB party girl (eye opening).

Cycle2max interview could have gotten more into training (or in my case, weight loss) aspects. It might be my memory, but there was a time when there was a lot about Chris J...or maybe repeated podcasts..not sure.

Some ideas for new content:
- How about an interview with a retailer/LBS. You've given the importer/distributor/manufacturer a go. I've no interest/connection to the industry (just in case you're wondering). Someone like Phantomcylces seems well regarded in the forums and Kerry has both internet and motar ...could be interesting.
- Lots of amateur hacks like me out there. A show about how to go faster, better or something
- Interview subjects - Claire Whiteman, Ben Cory, Caroline Buchanan (can you tell I'm from Canberra?)
- lend a bike (either a new one or an old one from your garage) to a couple of mates for a week and interview them aka 'bike or bling review"

Idea for raising some fund - how about a best of the mountain bike show music CD, or do you think you'll sell one copy and have it "backed up" on Napster?

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Cory,
Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to write that all down. Podcasts often fine people away from the computer (hopefully riding their bikes) so to go to that effort takes an extra step I know I've been a voracious podcast consumer for years and I virtually never get around to getting on the keyboard so you've done well.

I hear you with the sound. Thanks I've identified it as an issue ages ago and hopefully are in a progressive process of making it a bit better with each show.

I thought about holding off doing it until I got it all sorted but to be honest there was no source out there to teach you (surprisingly the info on the net is/was all over the shop). I had some people I thought would interest people so I thought it would be better to get it out there. To be honest I've been surprised by the lack of feedback on the audio quality, but as a listener of other shows I want to get it better.

To that I've been implementing the following.

-I have just bought a couple hundred dollar Microphone. (Rode Podcaster) with shock mount and stand this hasn't been fully set up yet but should improve the sound.

-I've just ponied up for the highest speed internet I can get ADSL2+. I knew Sam was going to be a big show so I held off but the F##king ISP said 2 weeks which has now turned into 6 weeks. Never go with Netscape.
But this should advance the clarity of the calls.

-The new version of Skype has dramatically improved sound.

-I have learn noise removal (didn't know about it for the first 30 episodes)

-Running normalisation and compressor filters they should fix the variation in sound

-learning better mic technique.

FYI I recorded the interview with Nathan Rennie with a blanket over my head to try and get rid of the Ambient noise in the room (serious!).

I've used 3 different computers and my job requires me to move around the country. Editing/voiceovers done in different rooms in different places in the country does effect the sound quality. Maybe the whole financial crisis thing will sort that out and I can be un-employed and pump out more regularly! (Careful what you wish for).

Another thing that has come along is www.podcasteremporium.com a podcast about podcasting. It's only new (3 shows) but I've been talking to both of the presenters about taking the show on a test case. I've talked to both on the phone about audio quality and their tips have helped the show.

With all that I know now, I hope to go back through the old shows and improve their audio. I hope to get the time to do that soon but thank you, thank you for your excellent input.

cameron94

Likes Dirt
I have had a couple of episodes for a while now and when I downloaded them I didnt really listen to them too much because they were so long! But now I really like them. We recently went away and did a 3000km holiday in NSW for two weeks and decided I thought i would put some on my phone. Best dicision ever because they kept me awake and wanting to ride.

I liked the humor you had and just general stuff you talk about. I have downloaded some more and will listen to them in my free time. They inspire me to ride and get an insight to the people you have interviewed.

One thing I have to say that i didnt like and only one thing is that since I had to put my volume full on my phone to listen to you clearly, when you went over to a interview at a race or simular you have the cowbells. This killed my ears so much. I found it was too loud compared to the audio. But other than that, its brilliant! But that wont make me not listen. I still will!

Thanks for making a great show! (Keep producing them, I love 'em!)

Cheers,
cameron94.

921812.yr10

Likes Dirt
my Question is i can only download the last 2 podcasts (ep39,40)
I want to listen to the others but they are not available for me to download.
I have tryed updating the podcast a resubscribing to it but still does show all the other podcasts.

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not quiet sure about this, but imm pretty sure if you go to the itunes store you can download older shows one by one of the list presented.
Just a thought.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Very strange. It works fine on my end, last time I looked (I'm away from my computer with iTunes so I can't access them now. If you download them manually (through right clicking on them on the forum) you can drag and drop the files into your music collection in itunes and the catagory of the ID3 tag of the MP3 file is Podcast so you iTunes should behave and put it into the podcast section.

Otherwise you could find in once you've dumped it into iTunes by looking at the recently added.

Let me know how you go.

walffles

Likes Bikes
Hi scratchy
I have listened to every show.
I have fully enjoyed them all.
There is a lot of WA content, and being from WA I know a lot of the trails and people that you talk about.

Your local riding trails, northcliffe, Margret river, Bike shop owner, Johnny waddel, Jason Dover, John carney are all places and people i know.
There is more.. but keep up the good work.

I would like to see grizzly and scott scharples interviwed

cheers WALffles.

macguffin

Likes Dirt
Have enjoyed all the shows i have managed to listen to so far. Great work. Thanks Scratchy. Would like to hear more from the girls though. How about interviews with Holly Baarspul, Caroline Buchanan & Tracey Hannah? Sort of a three different views kind of thing? One up & coming , one at the top of her game(?) one retired(?). Could be interesting to find out about their different experiences. The girls don't get nearly enough coverage and they take the same risks as the boys.
Hope that made sense. (2/3rds into a bottle of local white so it may not! Wine Industry's in trouble. Gotta drink up!!)

walffles

Likes Bikes
Im going to put in a request for an interview with Scott Sharples.
I see he is the editor of CLICT now.

Good stuff.

mikatnite

Cannon Fodder
Yankee here!

yeah still doing them. going to pump out a bundle before christmas
Great show dude! Newbie from the USA. Extremely new to mountain biking, so don't have any suggestions on content, but its great to get info and background stuff. Always look forward to your guest answer to what was their first MTbike. Keep up the great work. Still trying to keep up on all the past shows! Enjoying it immensely!

keyatch

Likes Bikes
Great show Trav, just came across it and have been catching up on old episodes for a while, but am all out now! I hope there are more to come soon!

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Enjoyed all of the podcasts so far. Any chance of releasing a few more though :p But cheers for releasing such high quality gear, especially as your not getting paid for it. Someone get this man a sponsor

WOFTT

Likes Bikes
Excellent Stuff

I have just listened to a few of the The MTB Show Podcasts and I am really enjoying them. Excellent - especially when sitting in rainy Sydney traffic. Keep up the good work Travis. I like the laid back style of interviews and the variety of topics. Is there any on local trail building?

Woftt.

Beauges

Likes Bikes
Would be great to interview the Athertons. Could you pull that one off?
Or maybe the editor of "Mountain Biking UK" mag?