F_ck...laugh/cry...Spesh fat bike....

mitchy_

Llama calmer
what are fat tyres worth?
we get fingered on normal tyres as is. most schwalbe tyres cost more than those on my first car, thusly i'll stick to maxxis where they only insert to the first knuckle.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Personally I think if theres enough snow on the ground to warrant tyres that fat I think I would just stay indoors.

Ill pass.

0psi

Eats Squid
just a fad fashion statement?
The tight jean, scarf wearing crowd needed something to ride on the trails when their fixies are in the shop getting their handle bars cut down a little more.

Originally made to ride on snow which in turns means they work really well on sand. The Simpson desert classic also split their rankings to those on fat bikes and those on regular bikes.

The other place they kind of work well is offroad touring. You can go fully rigid but still have something resembling suspension from the giant tyres and bucketloads of traction.

I think the rest are just strange folks that want something a little different. They'll claim more 'float' from the large tyres at low pressures and stuff like that but really they're just odd.

I'll probably add one to the shed in a few years, more than likely a Muru of some sort. I'd like to do the Simpson desert classic at some point and I'd like to do a bit more bike packing. I'm not in any real hurry though.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
One of the cool things about fat bikes was that the majors didn't do them, they were just that little bit out of the mainstream.
Thought exactly the same thing, the realised, that means they are a fashion statement, but for the uber cool - or for nerds (have seen both on fatbikes)

Dont mind the idea of the riding along stockton beach - need to be able to hire one for a week - then id be set.

moorey

call me Mia
I have memories of riding with mates through sand as a school kid. The skinny arsed slicks rolled through fine, the fat BMX tyres failed dismally. I guess physics has changed things in the last 35 years :noidea:

willsy01

Eats Squid
Skiing/snowboarding doesn't really float my boat......carving down the slopes on one of these would make a snow trip way more fun for me.

piggy pie

Likes Bikes
one minute they tell us that 29" are the best wheel size in the world then they bring this sort of crap out, guess what its 26". (probably slowly sneaking back to a proper size wheel) hypocrites