Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I had someone I knew (who's anti EV) that tagged me in this post as a bit of a "see I told you so".
1679871465733.png

Without wanting to spend to much time fact finding I was able to reply that for starters, that the photo is a coal mine not a lithium mine, so a 994 CAT is not going to be moving lithium ore (it’s extracted from brine water) and a Tesla batteries also have very little cobalt. When people say how bad cobalt is in batteries just remember cobalt is also used in petrol refining.
If they have those facts wrong I’d be pretty doubtful about the rest.

I also add this, and it all most always shuts up someone that right leaning, is that Australia makes its own electricity and we mine all the materials that go into making all cars, electric or otherwise. We don’t have enough oil to power our vehicles but we have enough electricity. Do you want to support Australian industry, or Arab oil?
And then reminded him that you can’t believe everything shared on Facebook, you just have to do a bit of research to see what the true story is, instead of just blindly sharing it.
I didn't get a reply. lol

safreek

I had someone I knew (who's anti EV) that tagged me in this post as a bit of a "see I told you so".
View attachment 398246

Without wanting to spend to much time fact finding I was able to reply that for starters, that the photo is a coal mine not a lithium mine, so a 994 CAT is not going to be moving lithium ore (it’s extracted from brine water) and a Tesla batteries also have very little cobalt. When people say how bad cobalt is in batteries just remember cobalt is also used in petrol refining.
If they have those facts wrong I’d be pretty doubtful about the rest.

I also add this, and it all most always shuts up someone that right leaning, is that Australia makes its own electricity and we mine all the materials that go into making all cars, electric or otherwise. We don’t have enough oil to power our vehicles but we have enough electricity. Do you want to support Australian industry, or Arab oil?
And then reminded him that you can’t believe everything shared on Facebook, you just have to do a bit of research to see what the true story is, instead of just blindly sharing it.
I didn't get a reply. lol
And we have uranium, loads of uranium what cheaper way to provide power for ev than nuclear power (nooklea)
Problem solvered

Stredda

It really really isn’t… Massivly expensive. Also, base load is an obsolete concept anyway.
Well at this stage, (and for at least a decade) you could not turn off base load power and just rely on solar and wind. It's just not feasible.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Well at this stage, (and for at least a decade) you could not turn off base load power and just rely on solar and wind. It's just not feasible.
Again, base load is not a useful term. And I'm not sure how the remaining fossil assets in the system translate to needing nukes?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Stredda

Again, base load is not a useful term. And I'm not sure how the remaining fossil assets in the system translate to needing nukes?
If you were to decommission all the coal/gas plants in Australia, you could not run the grid on solar and wind alone. Maybe battery storage could balance the load but it's pretty new and needs longer trials to prove reliable. There are a lot more advanced nuclear power plants now days compared to the old Chernobyl style plants, Small modular reactors are an option. Australia is seismologically stable for the plant itself and for deep underground storage of waste, and we have a huge uranium supply. It's a good fit up with renewables.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You dreaming ?

NSW, Vic and QLD run like this every day and take a bigger share at night.
Vic is importing currently and Tas is sucking coal juice across Basslink.
We have no wind here in SA today and we are still over producing and exporting to the Eastern grid.
This country relies on black/brown coal for over 50% of its power, 24 hours a day.

Screenshot_20230329_094958_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You’re assuming one big centralised continuous power source must be replaced with another. It doesn’t.
It doesn't, but a power plant producing 2000MWh is potentially 48,000MW a day. Storage to allow for a day with no wind, overcast and charging of the battery again would have to at least be double, so 100GW.
Batteries are being built at 500MW, going to need about 200 of them to replace 1 thermal plant.
1MW of coal power costs about $6, same with gas is currently around $120.
Good luck convincing anyone to shut down a coal plant.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It doesn't, but a power plant producing 2000MWh is potentially 48,000MW a day. Storage to allow for a day with no wind, overcast and charging of the battery again would have to at least be double, so 100GW.
Batteries are being built at 500MW, going to need about 200 of them to replace 1 thermal plant.
1MW of coal power costs about $6, same with gas is currently around $120.
Good luck convincing anyone to shut down a coal plant.
It’s not that simple. A national grid with appropriate transmission capacity and flexibility is the key.