Electric Vehicles etc

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally, I think the fit and finish thing is a bit overblown on Tesla's and a hangover from poorly made US versions many years ago. The Chinese stuff we get including mine is pretty decent and on par with Japanese, Korean, cheaper euro stuff from what I can tell. Having said that I think there is a reason Tesla makes so much profit on a car. It's stripped back and simple. If you are looking for a flashy interior the Tesla won't be it. For me it works perfectly fine, is a nice Euro better yes. Can you get a nice Euro EV as fast and efficient as a Tesla for anything like the same money - no, would I prefer something more unique than the model 3 yes. Is the fast charging network a major plus for Tesla yes. Replacing batteries I think is a non-issue for most cars. Our Nissan leaf is now 5 years old and is down to losing less than 1% per year at the moment, looking like it will take something like 15 years to get to 80% battery life and that is old battery tech, it's just getting better.

Tesla isn't perfect, far from it but some of the legacy automakers seem to be struggling with EV's Toyota seem to be at the top of that list. It has taken them for ever to get one to market, it seems very problematic and very inefficient.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm warming to the idea.
What do you do for charging? Do you have a flash charger at home?
You don't need a flash charger for most people but it's really convenient to just grab the plug and plug it in, is it $1,500 worth of convenience well hard to say. Does allow you to charge a bit quicker for say a weekend away when you haven't charged up fully in the lead up.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Initially I was going to run a 32amp 3ph cable to a socket in my garage, then buy a single phase 7kw charger for her Atto3.
Another option is a 15amp charger as I already have a dedicated 20amp socket for a plasma cutter.
I'm just going to see how she goes with the 10amp granny charger and work out what she needs from there.
People get around 1.5kw per hour using it and my missus car sits for about 12hrs each night.

Will get her a type2-type2 lead for the expanding public charging network.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Initially I was going to run a 32amp 3ph cable to a socket in my garage, then buy a single phase 7kw charger for her Atto3.
Another option is a 15amp charger as I already have a dedicated 20amp socket for a plasma cutter.
I'm just going to see how she goes with the 10amp granny charger and work out what she needs from there.
People get around 1.5kw per hour using it and my missus car sits for about 12hrs each night.

Will get her a type2-type2 lead for the expanding public charging network.
Yeah as we have two EVs we have one 7kw and one 15A gpo for extremely rare occasion we both need to charge.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Even then on the technology side, BYD has better batteries, VAG (which includes Porsche and Rimac) and Ford have better motors; and Waymo will win on self driving cars.
Tesla are using the BYD blade batteries in some cars. They are making their own 4680 packs too.

This is a good article on the batteries:

Original full video:

Anyway, I haven’t driven any electric car yet, so file this under ‘banter’ until I have.
For $180 or so including excess reduction you could upgrade from banter to informed opinion ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Vid just came out, I really hope these guys do well, Aus innovation.

Edit: now I want to be a truck driver in one of these and make more profit for less pollution.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Elon is a bit of a dick and certainly doesn't have the common touch and to have that conversation on Twitter is pretty weird.
This is also a bit of a beat up with saying that a CEO should know what every single person does in a very large company.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Tesla isn't perfect, far from it but some of the legacy automakers seem to be struggling with EV's Toyota seem to be at the top of that list. It has taken them for ever to get one to market, it seems very problematic and very inefficient.
I suspect Toyota will just buy out BYD. They could also leverage some of MHI materials and HV electric motors know how.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

I suspect Toyota will just buy out BYD. They could also leverage some of MHI materials and HV electric motors know how.
Thats why Mr Toyoda made the decision to step down a few months ago, the head of Lexus and Gazoo racing takes over on the 1 April. He did well and brought Toyota back into profit but his lack of foresight with EV's failed as he believed hybrid and alternative fuels was the way forward. They are definitely late to the EV game but will make up ground quickly and in a spectacular manner no doubt.

ozzybmx

So I ordered the missus Atto3 on the 9/12/22.

Today I got the final contract and payment request, 9/3/23 so 3 months exactly. They have said the car is about 2 weeks from delivery depending how everything goes with lease payment speed and whatever else. I also have a rego swap before delivery as I want a slimline black premium plate on the car rather than the oversize normal plates. At $200 one off payment, its about the only extra I pay for on any car I buy.

For anyone else thinking about one, they are saying June delivery for orders now.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
So I ordered the missus Atto3 on the 9/12/22.

Today I got the final contract and payment request, 9/3/23 so 3 months exactly. They have said the car is about 2 weeks from delivery depending how everything goes with lease payment speed and whatever else. I also have a rego swap before delivery as I want a slimline black premium plate on the car rather than the oversize normal plates. At $200 one off payment, its about the only extra I pay for on any car I buy.

For anyone else thinking about one, they are saying June delivery for orders now.
Mate, shouldn't you be watching F1rst or Follow me or something?!

ozzybmx

Mate, shouldn't you be watching F1rst or Follow me or something?!
3 weeks in the house, its driving me nutts ! Sadly my missus is home now and watching some home shit show.

Sat on a bike today, hmmm might be another day or two.

Might take woofy out for a walk and watch it later when she goes to bed.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Honestly, I’d be thinking more along the lines of BYD buying out Toyota… Remember they have the CCP on their side with much deeper pockets than Toyota!

ozzybmx

Honestly, I’d be thinking more along the lines of BYD buying out Toyota… Remember they have the CCP on their side with much deeper pockets than Toyota!
BYD is a private company owned by shareholders, investors etc. SAIC Motor is one of the Chi gov owned car manufacturers.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
BYD is a private company owned by shareholders, investors etc. SAIC Motor is one of the Chi gov owned car manufacturers.
Oh yes, quite right. Well, they would probably still have the backing of the CCP for such a massive geopolitical move! But then again, Toyota would have the Japanese government on their side for such things!
Companies this big get political fast….